Rinspeed sQuba Concept

Started by TheIntrepid, December 17, 2007, 05:25:22 PM

TheIntrepid

Is it just a clever computer animation or maybe more a fiction from a Hollywood movie? Or is it actually a real car sitting there? Many visitors to the upcoming Geneva Motor Show (March 6th thru 16th, 2008) will ask themselves just these questions when faced with the new Rinspeed creation "sQuba" - the worlds first real diving car. This astonishing concept vehicle from the renowned Swiss powerhouse for new designs and ideas looks almost like it just came out of a James Bond movie.

Its capabilities not only to drive on roads - and this also at a push of a button autonomously (thus without a driver, passenger or further assistance) - but also to agitate as an amphibious vehicle and to protrude to water depth of up to 10 meters (33 feet) go beyond the scope of many human virtues of imagination.

For Rinspeed boss Frank M. Rinderknecht the "sQuba" symbolizes the realization of a long-cherished dream and of movie fictions - of which perhaps the most noted out of the James Bond film hit "The spy who loved me". "And exactly thirty years later this amazing - yet at the time animated - film sequence materializes and becomes reality, in today's world", says Rinderknecht.

Definitely part of the material world is the power of the concept car: An electric motor with powerful torque drives the rear wheels. The propulsion on the water is ensured by two propellers in the stern and two powerful jet drives in the bow propel the vehicle under water while diving. With zero emissions, zero pollution in the seven seas of this world. The light weight body with components made of futuristic Carbon Nano Tubes encloses in a streamlined manner the driver and passenger who are supplied with fresh breathing air by the self-contained on-bord system.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raghavan

WTF...
How can they have two jet motors that produce no pollution?

giant_mtb

What a novelty.  They'll sell four.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 17, 2007, 05:36:09 PM
What a novelty.  They'll sell four.

It's Rinspeed. They won't ever sell any.

They aren't trying to either. What they do is sell their design services to other companies.

Their concepts are always outlandish.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raghavan on December 17, 2007, 05:35:43 PM
WTF...
How can they have two jet motors that produce no pollution?

Not jet motors. It's an electric motor.

Jet drives are a type of propeller: used most commobnly on Jetskis and such.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Whatever. I'll take a Gibbs Aquada. It may not dive, but it's real, and it verifiably works.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on December 17, 2007, 05:59:08 PM
Whatever. I'll take a Gibbs Aquada. It may not dive, but it's real, and it verifiably works.

It's probably real and it probably works.

They made this one a few years ago: On land, the hydrofoils fold up and becdome a rollbar and a rear wing.

TheIntrepid

It looks like an Elise/Tesla, so it'll sell five instead of four.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 17, 2007, 06:14:30 PM
It's probably real and it probably works.

They made this one a few years ago: On land, the hydrofoils fold up and becdome a rollbar and a rear wing.

that was on top gear wasn't it?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Soup DeVille

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TheIntrepid

sportyaccordy

Tave

That's what I've been wondering, too.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Vinsanity

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on December 20, 2007, 01:24:01 PM
That's what I've been wondering, too.

Maybe you didn't get the name of the car: sQuba: as in Scuba...

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 21, 2007, 04:43:59 PM
Maybe you didn't get the name of the car: sQuba: as in Scuba...

So you're expected to wear a tank while you drive it?

And I thought people who wear helmets in cars were weird...

I'm not talking about track drivers.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on December 21, 2007, 04:52:05 PM
So you're expected to wear a tank while you drive it?

And I thought people who wear helmets in cars were weird...

I'm not talking about track drivers.

It says something about having it's own onboard air supply. " driver and passenger who are supplied with fresh breathing air by the self-contained on-bord system."

Although, I'd still want a spareair and a BC on...

Laconian

And a wetsuit... I don't think any climate control system can do much for this car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT