Corvette ZR-1 unveiled.

Started by LonghornTX, December 19, 2007, 03:18:03 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Didn't Mercury Marine have a hand in the C4 ZR1s engine development?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 19, 2007, 06:38:45 PM
Back in the 90's Toyota was cool. They used to make the twin turbo Supra and Mid engined MR2.

Now they've grown up, got married, had a kid, and you can't party with them anymore. :cry:

Now they only hang out with other couples, and you can't smoke cigars in their house on poker night anymore. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on December 19, 2007, 07:14:22 PM
Didn't Mercury Marine have a hand in the C4 ZR1s engine development?

I think Lotus designed it and Mercury Marine built it.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

Quote from: Tave on December 19, 2007, 07:38:43 PM
I think Lotus designed it and Mercury Marine built it.

Lotus only designed the heads.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VetteZ06

Apparently it took me this long to realize that 620 horses isn't the official output of the LS9. Edmunds says it'll be "greater than 620 horsepower."

SVT666

Quote from: VetteZ06 on December 19, 2007, 08:19:12 PM
Apparently it took me this long to realize that 620 horses isn't the official output of the LS9. Edmunds says it'll be "greater than 620 horsepower."
621 horsepower. :lol:

the Teuton

How much did the McLaren F1 weigh?  That thing only had 627 hp for a cool 600,000 Pounds.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

mojammer

In the release it said the ZR1 would be about 200lbs heavier than the Z06, which means 3300-3350lbs.  Will 620-650hp be enough?  It seems like it'll only be marginally quicker than the new viper, and the F430 scuderia is supposed to be as quick around a track as an enzo, and the new GT2 is supposed to be as quick as a Carrera GT.  Can the ZR1 keep up?

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 10:27:59 PM
How much did the McLaren F1 weigh?  That thing only had 627 hp for a cool 600,000 Pounds.
1140 kg (2513 lbs) although the GTR weighed 2200 lbs.

SVT666

Quote from: mojammer on December 19, 2007, 10:30:22 PM
In the release it said the ZR1 would be about 200lbs heavier than the Z06, which means 3300-3350lbs.  Will 620-650hp be enough?  It seems like it'll only be marginally quicker than the new viper, and the F430 scuderia is supposed to be as quick around a track as an enzo, and the new GT2 is supposed to be as quick as a Carrera GT.  Can the ZR1 keep up?
That means the ZR1 will weigh the same as a Viper and have marginally more power.  Could be a pretty close race.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 10:34:22 PM
That means the ZR1 will weigh the same as a Viper and have marginally more power.  Could be a pretty close race.

You have to wonder what the extra 200 lbs. is coming from with so much extensive use of carbon fiber being used versus even the Z06.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 10:36:47 PM
You have to wonder what the extra 200 lbs. is coming from with so much extensive use of carbon fiber being used versus even the Z06.
Supercharger and plumbing, bigger brakes, wider tires, hopefully stronger seats, and hopefully more chassis stiffening.

ArchBishop

I bet this much more power will make it a savage. In a bad way.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 19, 2007, 10:43:48 PM
Supercharger and plumbing, bigger brakes, wider tires, hopefully stronger seats, and hopefully more chassis stiffening.

You don't think they're adding much more in the way of luxury, do you?  This should essentially be the closest thing to a stripped out supercar they can get away with selling, IMO.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on December 19, 2007, 10:45:49 PM
You don't think they're adding much more in the way of luxury, do you?  This should essentially be the closest thing to a stripped out supercar they can get away with selling, IMO.
I've read everything from stripped out to staying virtually the same as a Z06 to getting more luxury items.  I believe it will probably stay pretty much the same as the Z06 in the luxury item department.

nickdrinkwater

It looks ok.  I'd prefer a GTR.

sportyaccordy

Wowsers.

Question now is, how much will it cost?

FlatBlackCaddy

Looked over the pictures, this think looks pretty good.

I have very few complaints, sadly the ones i do have are so simple and stupid i wonder why GM missed them.

First is obviously the hood, get rid of that damn window. The skull is pretty cheesy too. It looks bad to those that are critical of GM's ability to do things right. Then you see GM's 100K(my est) exotic vette thats got what looks like a 12 year olds sketch of a skull and a shitty plastic window showing off your plastic engine cover. HORRIBLE.

Also the seats continue to amaze me, i understand low bolstered easier entry seats in the C6. I questioned not having straight up recaros in the Z06. I'm blown away that they still haven't picked up the phone and had recaro make a pair of seats for them.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 20, 2007, 08:08:54 AM
Looked over the pictures, this think looks pretty good.

I have very few complaints, sadly the ones i do have are so simple and stupid i wonder why GM missed them.

First is obviously the hood, get rid of that damn window. The skull is pretty cheesy too. It looks bad to those that are critical of GM's ability to do things right. Then you see GM's 100K(my est) exotic vette thats got what looks like a 12 year olds sketch of a skull and a shitty plastic window showing off your plastic engine cover. HORRIBLE.

Also the seats continue to amaze me, i understand low bolstered easier entry seats in the C6. I questioned not having straight up recaros in the Z06. I'm blown away that they still haven't picked up the phone and had recaro make a pair of seats for them.
What's this skull you speak of?

FlatBlackCaddy

Look at the elevated underhood shot, there is a skull etched(?) in the intake.

Its certainly a small thing to complain about.

FlatBlackCaddy

The skull reminded me of crap like this.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=11334.0

First post, last picture.

The sad thing is that ferrari was nice but the stupidity of a few people(or just one, its a tuning house) led to the decision of puting something tacky like "hardcore"(cue lame metal soundtrack) on the seatback(a nice seat at that, probobly a 1000 dollar suede race bucket). The GM is worse(IMO) because it had to go past alot of people. I'm crushed to think that so many people were in agreement as to let such a tacky thing pass onto the car.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 20, 2007, 09:33:30 AM
The skull reminded me of crap like this.

http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=11334.0

First post, last picture.

The sad thing is that ferrari was nice but the stupidity of a few people(or just one, its a tuning house) led to the decision of puting something tacky like "hardcore"(cue lame metal soundtrack) on the seatback(a nice seat at that, probobly a 1000 dollar suede race bucket). The GM is worse(IMO) because it had to go past alot of people. I'm crushed to think that so many people were in agreement as to let such a tacky thing pass onto the car.
I hope GM ditches that skull (it uses the Corvette flags as the eyes) and the window for production.  The skull kinda looks like the skull from Punisher.

LonghornTX

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 19, 2007, 03:18:57 PM
Well nobody asked you....

Anyway right off the bat i notice they got the wheelgap right. Looks good.
That is alright, I took the liberty since I posted it  :ohyeah:

Anyways, I think this car is pretty sick but I do agree that the plastic thing on the engine is a little weird.  It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker by any means, though, and is certainly not a reason to write off the car IMO.

Also, I would like to know the true weight of this beast because with all the CF they are using, I can't imagine it being that much heavier (especially since so many people said it would be lighter than the Z06).  However, I can see that estimate being true with the info fro the edmunds article about this being a 911 Turbo competitor while the Z06 is a GT3 competitor.....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 20, 2007, 09:29:00 AM
Look at the elevated underhood shot, there is a skull etched(?) in the intake.

Its certainly a small thing to complain about.
Yea, that is pretty nitpicky IMO.

I think it looks pretty cool, especially since the only time anybody will see it is when the hood is open.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: LonghornTX on December 20, 2007, 10:53:04 AM

I think it looks pretty cool, especially since the only time anybody will see it is when the hood is open.

I would just grind it off and paint over it, if I really cared (which I don't).

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: LonghornTX on December 20, 2007, 10:53:04 AM

Maybe they will add another glass panel so you can see the skull on the intake.

LonghornTX

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on December 20, 2007, 11:25:07 AM
Maybe they will add another glass panel so you can see the skull on the intake.
Haha, then I would have a bone to pick.  I definitely agree with you about the piece of plastic showing through that panel, it is kind of silly to showcase such a simple plastic engine cover, especially when some other high-performance cars this thing may be compared to have beautiful, machines engine components showing through.

The skull, on the other hand, is kind of an easter egg thing to me.  Not many people will know that even exists and is thus a kind of interesting little detail IMO.  I would like to know if it has any significance, because if it did, I would compare it to the small flying ghost on every Koenigsegg CCR.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on December 20, 2007, 11:48:39 AM
Haha, then I would have a bone to pick.  I definitely agree with you about the piece of plastic showing through that panel, it is kind of silly to showcase such a simple plastic engine cover, especially when some other high-performance cars this thing may be compared to have beautiful, machines engine components showing through.
I would take the engine cover off and leave the supercharger visible through the window.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 20, 2007, 11:53:06 AM
I would take the engine cover off and leave the supercharger visible through the window.

My guess is there is nothing to see with the engine cover off. If you could see the supercharger housing gm would have left that visable.

Then again maybe with t he cover removed you see a nice supercharger housing and GM is dumb enough to rig up a plastic cover thinking it looks better.

I shouldn't get so bent out of shape, i'm sure they will realize how stupid it is and it will NOT be on the production car.