Ring Time smashed by....

Started by TheIntrepid, December 29, 2007, 12:18:27 AM

TheIntrepid

A Lexus?

The king is dead, long live the king! Lexus? long-awaited LF-A has unofficially smashed the lap record at Germany?s N?rburgring, with a time of seven minutes, 24 seconds. That beats Porsche?s new GT2 by a second and makes the Lexus the King of the ?Ring. Company insiders have revealed that a 4.8-litre V10 ? co-developed with Yamaha ? powered the record-breaking test mule. It revs to 9,000rpm and pumps out 552bhp. Combined with a highly aerodynamic body, it should enable the LF-A to hit 210mph.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214086/lexus_lfa.html

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raghavan

TheIntrepid

This POS Toyota may be fast but it has no heritage!

F*CKERS think their car is fast :devil: :devil: :devil:

This is a real car guys!!! It's so perfect!

SVT_Power

I think that got joke got old a while ago when wimmer overdid it...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Lazerous

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 12:18:27 AM
A Lexus?

... a 4.8-litre V10 ? co-developed with Yamaha ...

Well, we all know who did most of the work on the engine and suspension.

Tave

test mule

So, this isn't a production model?

So this "record" is sort of worthless?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

You know, there were test mules of the Ford GT that had coilover racing suspensions.  They were pre-production, too, and I'm sure they could lap the Ring pretty quickly, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

Quote from: Tave on December 29, 2007, 12:53:52 AM
test mule

Never let truth stand in the way of a good story.

Catman

Quote from: Tave on December 29, 2007, 12:53:52 AM
test mule

That's what I was thinking.  I'll be more impressed when they do it in the production car.

S204STi

JYODER240

If I'm lucky our store will get one and I'll get to drive it. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 29, 2007, 02:15:43 PM
If I'm lucky our store will get one and I'll get to drive it. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Sweet jebus, that would be cool.  Yes, it would still be cool to drive that Lexus.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

2 seconds faster than a Zonda F clubsport?  I'm somewhat doubtfull, but will wait until it's production ready to praise/criticise it.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on December 29, 2007, 01:11:46 AM
You know, there were test mules of the Ford GT that had coilover racing suspensions.  They were pre-production, too, and I'm sure they could lap the Ring pretty quickly, too.

Does anyone know if this was a stock suspension/tires or if it was more racy fare?

the Teuton

How are all of these "underpowered" cars beating Zondas and Koenigsegsegsegseggggggss around the Ring.  You have a GT-R that weighs as much as a minivan able to outscoot a Z06 around the track with similar power, even though the Corvette is 700 lbs. less.  I wonder how such plebian numbers in comparison to a mid-engine Zonda could hang so well with it.

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on December 29, 2007, 03:58:13 PM
How are all of these "underpowered" cars beating Zondas and Koenigsegsegsegseggggggss around the Ring.  You have a GT-R that weighs as much as a minivan able to outscoot a Z06 around the track with similar power, even though the Corvette is 700 lbs. less.  I wonder how such plebian numbers in comparison to a mid-engine Zonda could hang so well with it.

Perhaps the lexus is running such incredible numbers a la that race prepped BMW M3.  Yes, it was shockingly quick, but it was also running on race slicks...

Fire It Up

Fantastic suspension? The Nurburgring is a pretty bumpy place.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 12:18:27 AM
A Lexus?

The king is dead, long live the king! Lexus? long-awaited LF-A has unofficially smashed the lap record at Germany?s N?rburgring, with a time of seven minutes, 24 seconds. That beats Porsche?s new GT2 by a second and makes the Lexus the King of the ?Ring. Company insiders have revealed that a 4.8-litre V10 ? co-developed with Yamaha ? powered the record-breaking test mule. It revs to 9,000rpm and pumps out 552bhp. Combined with a highly aerodynamic body, it should enable the LF-A to hit 210mph.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214086/lexus_lfa.html

mojammer

For this lexus to be so quick I'm going to predict it weighs under 3000lbs (and is track prepped), and possible even less, like 2500lbs.  The Zonda F supposedly weighs 2700lbs. 

I wonder how the GT2 can be so much quicker than the Carrera GT when it weighs  more, has less power, and is only a couple of years later in development?  In a decade sure, i'd expect that kind of power/weight deficit to be as quick or quicker, but not now.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on December 29, 2007, 03:08:15 PM
Sweet jebus, that would be cool.  Yes, it would still be cool to drive that Lexus.

There's not much of a market around here for a car like that, even then I might have a hard time getting to drive it since someone would have probably already paid for it.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 30, 2007, 11:58:45 AM
There's not much of a market around here for a car like that, even then I might have a hard time getting to drive it since someone would have probably already paid for it.

Uh, remember LeBron's supposed-to-be Carrera GT a few years ago?  If that could find its way to the Akron/Canton area, I'm sure a $150k Lexus could.  Heck, the local BMW dealer had a Z8 Alpina a few years ago when the came out.

TheIntrepid

Yes but the Z06 is a loldomestic and can't handle, remember? :tounge:

Soup DeVille

The burgeoning consensus is that for some reason, the GTR is vastly under-rated from the factory in the horsepower department.

No, that doesn't answer all of your question, but it may be a big factor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

LonghornTX

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 31, 2007, 04:10:15 PM
The burgeoning consensus is that for some reason, the GTR is vastly under-rated from the factory in the horsepower department.

No, that doesn't answer all of your question, but it may be a big factor.
I agree.  There are parts of the ring' where a lot of HP and good aerodynamics can pay dividends.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.