Storing my car

Started by TheIntrepid, December 29, 2007, 12:17:12 PM

TheIntrepid

This is probably obvious, but I'm storing my Intrepid next week until March-ish in the garage, and are there any steps I should take?

Here's my checklist so far:
-Give it a car wash
-Fill up the tank
-Make sure all windows/sunroof/doors are closed and locked
-Change the oil

-Temporarily shut off the insurance
-Take off the license plates

Picture of the car for reference

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

How long are you storing it for?

If it's a long time, you should also drain the fluids.

Why are you storing it, BTW?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

heelntoe

if you are filling up the tank, add fuel stabilizer to the tank.
@heelntoe

dazzleman

This sounds like too much of a PITA to me.  Just drive the f*$king thing once a week to keep it going....
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raghavan

Don't fill up the tank, and why are you taking off the license plates? :confused:

TheIntrepid

Should I not fill up the tank? I still have a week or so to go before I store it, and my tank's about halfway. I can safely assume it'll be damn close to empty when I am ready to park it.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on December 29, 2007, 12:48:25 PM
This sounds like too much of a PITA to me.  Just drive the f*$king thing once a week to keep it going....

Honestly.

Dude, the thing is not a Porsche. Just drive it once a week, and skip all this bullshit. The Subaru sits around most of the time, doesn't even get driven once a week (unless I come home for a period and take it back to school with me :devil: ), and it's just fine.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: dazzleman on December 29, 2007, 12:48:25 PM

Dad said that by taking off the insurance, we're saving about $1025 over 3 months. I'm not going to take it out of the garage with no insurance.

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 12:51:24 PM
Dad said that by taking off the insurance, we're saving about $1025 over 3 months. I'm not going to take it out of the garage with no insurance.

Drive it around the block, you don't exactly need a cross-country road trip.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 29, 2007, 12:52:54 PM

There's always the risk of someone running into me, especially with crazy Expedition bitch living a few doors down.

dazzleman

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 12:51:24 PM

He can afford a 5,000 SF house, and he's worried about a few hundred a month for insurance?  Honestly, it's not even worth his time to go through all the effort of canceling the insurance and plates, and then reinstating them later.

BTW, that's a f*$kload of money for insurance.  Are those normal rates?

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 12:54:42 PM
There's always the risk of someone running into me, especially with crazy Expedition bitch living a few doors down.

You're an idiot. That is all.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 29, 2007, 12:58:15 PM
You're an idiot. That is all.

Listen here kid, this wasn't about why I should or should not store my car. The decision isn't up to you, it's up to me and my family, and it's been made. I made this thread to ask if there's anything else I can do to make sure it'll start up just fine when I am ready to take it out of storage.

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 01:01:19 PM
Listen here kid, this wasn't about why I should or should not store my car. The decision isn't up to you, it's up to me and my family, and it's been made. I made this thread to ask if there's anything else I can do to make sure it'll start up just fine when I am ready to take it out of storage.

#1. You aren't NEARLY old enough to call me "kid".
#2. My suggestions save you a lot of trouble.
#3. Why the hell would you take off the license plates.
#4. If these precautions make you feel "hardcore", do it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

Quote from: M_power on December 29, 2007, 12:22:18 PM
Disconnect the battery
Should probably remove it all together.  But, be sure not to store it directly on concrete.  Use a buffer such as wood.

Stabil you gas as well.  It only costs a few dollars, and hurts nothing.

Do not cancel your insurance completely.  Keep your comprehensive, or storage, insurance on it in case of fire, theft, flood, etc.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 29, 2007, 12:52:54 PM
That is worse than letting it set.  It gets only warm enough to create condensation in the exhaust system, and then the condensation rusts the pipes and muffler. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on December 29, 2007, 01:20:29 PM
Should probably remove it all together.  But, be sure not to store it directly on concrete.  Use a buffer such as wood.

Stabil you gas as well.  It only costs a few dollars, and hurts nothing.

Do not cancel your insurance completely.  Keep your comprehensive, or storage, insurance on it in case of fire, theft, flood, etc.

Thanks. :ohyeah:

hounddog

Quote from: Raghavan on December 29, 2007, 12:49:03 PM
Don't fill up the tank, and why are you taking off the license plates? :confused:
Actually, by not filling the tank, you leave space in the tank for condensation to be created.  And, there is little worse than allowing moisture in the gas.  Add plenty of stabilizer, and fill it to the top.

But, I agree, why are you cancelling the plates?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 01:25:30 PM
Thanks. :ohyeah:
Come to think of it, where your battery is located, just disconnect it.  You will have to remove the fender to get it out, I believe. 

You are welcome.  We store our BMW every winter, along with my dads one owner 1964 Cutlass, and their one owner 1977 Ford T-bird.  So, this happens to be a topic I do know something about.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TheIntrepid

Quote from: hounddog on December 29, 2007, 01:28:24 PM
Come to think of it, where your battery is located, just disconnect it.  You will have to remove the fender to get it out, I believe. 

You are welcome.  We store our BMW every winter, along with my dads one owner 1964 Cutlass, and their one owner 1977 Ford T-bird.  So, this happens to be a topic I do know something about.

You store your BMW in the winter? Aren't you using it right now?

Colonel Cadillac

I never really give it much thought when I go off to school and let the TSX sit for a few months. I suppose it gets driven here and there when I'm gone, but it definitely will go weeks at a time without being touched.

hounddog

Quote from: TheIntrepid on December 29, 2007, 01:29:24 PM
You store your BMW in the winter? Aren't you using it right now?
We were, I put it away right after our little beer run.  In fact, we got back Sunday, and I put it away Monday morning.  I am headed up to my folks farm in the next few days, I will take a couple photos when I get up there of both the 330, and the other cars.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

r0tor

Quote from: dazzleman on December 29, 2007, 12:57:08 PM

BTW, that's a f*$kload of money for insurance.  Are those normal rates?

yea... i pay less then that for a year  :hammerhead:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

JYODER240

Just leave it at your house and start it up and let it run for 5min once a week.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

S204STi

Leave the plates on it, it will make it easier for the police to find when I go up to Toronto and steal it.

the Teuton

Also, I agree with Jordan on just letting it run.  It does more harm to a car to run it around the block without letting it warm up than it does to take it on a short trip or something.  You want the engine to have time to warm up.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

The Pirate

Like Hounddog said, don't cancel the insurance.  He listed some good reasons, and here is another one:  Depending on your province's insurance regulations, it could be considered a gap in insurance, and could have a negative impact in the future.

Others have said good stuff too.  Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer is a must, keep the tires inflated properly, and run the car periodically (let it fully warm up).

I think you're nuts for doing this, BTW.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.