ZR-1 vs Z06 vs Z51

Started by 565, January 09, 2008, 11:12:46 PM

Which Vette is right for you?  Mild, Hot, or Extra Spicy?

13 (48.1%)
8 (29.6%)
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Inspired by the thread on Fast Lane.  Just how much Corvette is too much?

SVT666

Personally I would just take the base model Vette.  430 hp is enough for anyone on public streets.  Besides, it rides better on rough pavement and that's important if it's going to be driven to work every day...which it would. 

If I was going to buy a racetrack I would take the ZR-1.

Raghavan

I voted Z06. I think the regular Corvette is a bit too plain, but the Z06 IMO looks awesome.
The only thing I like from the ZR-1 is the spoiler.

Soup DeVille

I'm sort of wondering if it would be possible to get a "base" model Vette with the magnetorheomagical shocks, or whatever the hell they're called?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Z51, thank you. Like lesser-model Mustangs, the lower-end Corvettes are more appealing to me than their higher-end counterparts. I would, however, like to fit those Z06 wheels to my Z51.

Lebowski

Z06 hands down.  Fast but not too ridiculous to drive on the streets, it's by far the best looking of the three, and it's the best value for the $ of the three.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 10, 2008, 12:37:34 AM
I'm sort of wondering if it would be possible to get a "base" model Vette with the magnetorheomagical shocks, or whatever the hell they're called?

A 2003 50th AE has those.

Tave

If I had the money and no overriding obligations, I'd buy a base vette right now over anything else that costs as much. For the money of a Z06, there's other cars I'd be interested in.

Z51 for me.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Raghavan on January 09, 2008, 11:15:35 PM
The only thing I like from the ZR-1 is the spoiler.
The side vent treatment on the ZR-1 kicks ass, but not enough for me to spend double the value of the Z51.

3.0L V6

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 10, 2008, 12:37:34 AM

Of the base Corvette, the Z51 package has them but the other variants do not.

the Teuton

I think I am going to go with a Z51 convertible.  620 horsepower is just too much car for someone like me.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Lebowski

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 10, 2008, 09:57:24 AM

Of the base Corvette, the Z51 package has them but the other variants do not.

Which shocks is he talking about?  I thought he was referring to the F55 suspension (the adjustable magnetic one)?

CJ

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

280Z Turbo

I'm not a pussy.

I voted ZR-1.

JYODER240

Z51. Pushing a Z06 or ZR1 on the backroads around here would probably take the skill and concentration far beyond what anybody on this forum has.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 10, 2008, 08:24:02 PM
Z51. Pushing a Z06 or ZR1 on the backroads around here would probably take the skill and concentration far beyond what anybody on this forum has.

Driving a ZR1 modestly is probably like driving a Z51 all-out.  Keep everything in relative perspective.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raghavan

JYODER240

black wheels, paint, and leather.

Raghavan

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 10, 2008, 08:26:03 PM
black wheels, paint, and leather.
Oh, ok. I've only heard of black on black or double black. That's cool. :huh:

goldenlover1101

I would have to do a ZR1 with money no factor in the equation.

For my money and If I am not a millionaire, I would take the Z06...plenty fast, an incredible value, and more than enough car for me. No vette is too much vette though.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Mak450

I know I don't have the skill to really push a ZR1 or even a Z51, but hell I spend most of my time driving on straight roads anyway so ZR1 for me.

SVT_Power

Quote from: omicron on January 10, 2008, 06:46:09 AM
Z51, thank you. I would, however, like to fit those Z06 wheels to my Z51.

+1
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

I'll take the one with the open top.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on January 11, 2008, 10:17:09 PM

"Hey everybody! Look at how sexy I am in this expensive car! Everyone can see me, but I don't care."

What is it with you and convertibles? I don't particularly care for them.

CJ

Well, there's something about putting the top down on a clear spring day that appeals to me.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on January 10, 2008, 08:25:09 PM
Driving a ZR1 modestly is probably like driving a Z51 all-out.  Keep everything in relative perspective.

Right and it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. I'm not saying a base vette is slow by any means but the concept applies. I think the Z06 and ZR1 are too much to take to use anywhere near their potential on windy, undulating back roads. The base vette is probably more than you could ever use as well but not to the extent of it's more powerful brethren.

Lebowski

Quote from: omicron on January 10, 2008, 06:46:09 AM
Z51 ... I would, however, like to fit those Z06 wheels to my Z51.

You'd have to add ZO6 fender flares unless you like the sandblasted look on your paint (the ZO6 wheels/tires stick out on a regular C6).  Plenty of people have done it, though.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on January 11, 2008, 10:17:09 PM

I almost never drive mine without the top on.  I keep telling myself I need to take it off more (especially with this weather), but when I get in the car it never occurs to me for some reason.