ZR-1 vs Z06 vs Z51

Started by 565, January 09, 2008, 11:12:46 PM

Which Vette is right for you?  Mild, Hot, or Extra Spicy?

13 (48.1%)
8 (29.6%)
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on January 12, 2008, 05:13:21 PM
I almost never drive mine without the top on.  I keep telling myself I need to take it off more (especially with this weather), but when I get in the car it never occurs to me for some reason.

They also make a convertible with an optional power top.  The targa looks better, but the convertible is a full convertible...oh, the tradeoffs...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CJ on January 11, 2008, 10:44:47 PM
Well, there's something about putting the top down on a clear spring day that appeals to me.

I'm not a fan.

Convertibles are more expensive, less stiff, less safe, have small rear windows, aren't supposed to go through car washes, need rollbars in order to be tracked, slower, heavier, noisier, too windy, sometimes leaky, don't insulate as well in the cold, aren't as secure, etc.

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on January 12, 2008, 10:29:41 PM

They also make a convertible with an optional power top.  The targa looks better, but the convertible is a full convertible...oh, the tradeoffs...

Blah - the 'vert is $10k more expensive, loses the trunk space of the hatchback design, nosier w/ the top up ...

sandertheshark

The ZR1 stands out too far.  I'd be happier with a Z06, I think.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CJ on January 11, 2008, 10:44:47 PM
Well, there's something about putting the top down on a clear spring day that appeals to me.
+1
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

If I had to pay the note,Z51. But I lust for the ZR1!  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 12, 2008, 10:47:35 PM
I'm not a fan.

Convertibles are more expensive, less stiff, less safe, have small rear windows, aren't supposed to go through car washes, need rollbars in order to be tracked, slower, heavier, noisier, too windy, sometimes leaky, don't insulate as well in the cold, aren't as secure, etc.

FWIW, the S2000 went through car washes just fine, didn't leak, didn't have excessive wind noise, and was plenty warm in the winter. Also, while I guess you could cut through the top, you'd have to be a nidge to get in between any of the roll hoops and actually gain access to the car.

It was also plenty stiff in the chassis department.

But, since there was never an S2000 coupe produced, I can't really argue against the other points.

But, it was a beautiful thing with the top down, and that makes up for any deficiency it may have in the dynamics department because of that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2008, 04:45:02 PM
FWIW, the S2000 went through car washes just fine, didn't leak, didn't have excessive wind noise, and was plenty warm in the winter. Also, while I guess you could cut through the top, you'd have to be a nidge to get in between any of the roll hoops and actually gain access to the car.

But, since there was never an S2000 coupe produced, I can't really argue against the other points.

But, it was a beautiful thing with the top down, and that makes up for any deficiency it may have in the dynamics department because of that.

:clap:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I'm convinced that almost everyone who hates convertibles has either never driven one or the last example they did was a 89 Mustang.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 19, 2008, 09:59:35 AM
I'm convinced that almost everyone who hates convertibles has either never driven one or the last example they did was a 89 Mustang.

Or they might just not like top down driving, and then there's just absolutely no reason to get a vert.

I drove a Miata, S2000, and Z4 and many others.  I liked the cars (the Z4 not so much), but I perferred to drive with the top up.  I seriously considered the S2000 and Miata, but would have driven both with the top up exclusively. I simply don't see the appeal of not having a roof over your head at 80mph.  I like being cocooned in from the elements and the sun, with the temperature and humidity exactly as I want them.  I don't like the wind in my hair or the sun giving me a sunburn or the wind noise not letting me enjoy my CD.  I guess it's different strokes for different folks.  Some people are the outdoors type who want to spend every minute in the elements, some people like me just want to stay in my cozy home and watch some movies.

JYODER240

Quote from: 565 on January 19, 2008, 10:33:32 AM
Or they might just not like top down driving, and then there's just absolutely no reason to get a vert.

I drove a Miata, S2000, and Z4 and many others.  I liked the cars (the Z4 not so much), but I perferred to drive with the top up.  I seriously considered the S2000 and Miata, but would have driven both with the top up exclusively. I simply don't see the appeal of not having a roof over your head at 80mph.  I like being cocooned in from the elements and the sun, with the temperature and humidity exactly as I want them.  I don't like the wind in my hair or the sun giving me a sunburn or the wind noise not letting me enjoy my CD.  I guess it's different strokes for different folks.  Some people are the outdoors type who want to spend every minute in the elements, some people like me just want to stay in my cozy home and watch some movies.

I'm not the outdoors type but feeling the warmth of the sun, the feel of the wind, the smell, etc are all part of the driving experience IMO. A backroads drive it much more enjoyable when you're soaking in all of those things versus being secluded from whats going on around you.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 18, 2008, 04:45:02 PM

Imagine how much better it would be if it was a coupe! ;)

My friend just picked up a '99 Miata and the owner's manual says not to put it through an automatic carwash.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 19, 2008, 09:59:35 AM

I've driven a '63 Corvette convertible. I wish it was a split window instead.

JYODER240

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 19, 2008, 12:05:07 PM
I've driven a '63 Corvette convertible. I wish it was a split window instead.

No kidding, it would probably we worth 3 times as much.