New Tata Nano

Started by 2o6, January 10, 2008, 06:09:00 PM

heelntoe

Quote from: 93JC on January 10, 2008, 06:41:41 PM
Wow, the interior is nowhere near as craptacular as I suspected it would be.
really? i thought the interior was a bit too basic, but then they are only charging 1-lakh for it.

i really am thinking of getting one, and the scooter shitting the bed again last night made me wish it was already launched here.
@heelntoe

Champ

Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/business/worldbusiness/08indiacar.html

QuoteTata chose wheel bearings that are strong enough to drive the car up to 45 miles an hour, but they will wear quickly above that speed, reducing the car?s life span but not threatening consumer safety, according to Mr. Taneja. The car?s top speed is 75 miles an hour.

93JC

The NY Times article was written by a monkey.

The wheel bearings are strong enough to withstand sustained speeds of ~45 mph, yes.

The top speed is therefore ~45 mph, or ~75 km/h.

Idiots...

heelntoe

Quote from: 93JC on January 11, 2008, 10:24:54 AM
The NY Times article was written by a monkey.

The wheel bearings are strong enough to withstand sustained speeds of ~45 mph, yes.

The top speed is therefore ~45 mph, or ~75 km/h.

Idiots...
no, you are reading it wrong. as i understand it, they cheaped out on the bearings by putting ones that are good for 45mph but above that, their wear increases, but the real top speed of the car is 75mph.
@heelntoe

Soup DeVille

Quote from: heelntoe on January 11, 2008, 10:48:46 AM
no, you are reading it wrong. as i understand it, they cheaped out on the bearings by putting ones that are good for 45mph but above that, their wear increases, but the real top speed of the car is 75mph.

With or without wheels?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Northlands

This car is taking frugality to a whole new level. It's the dollar store industry of automotive companies. I'm staying away from this one.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Northlands on January 11, 2008, 11:11:26 PM
This car is taking frugality to a whole new level. It's the dollar store industry of automotive companies. I'm staying away from this one.

Not a new level, but a very old level: the same level that produced such vehicles as the Kleinschnittger, Goggomobil, Kabinenroller, Isetta, and even arguably the Fiat 500 and the Beetle.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

heelntoe

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 11, 2008, 05:39:46 PM
With or without wheels?

huh?

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2008, 12:27:56 AM
Not a new level, but a very old level: the same level that produced such vehicles as the Kleinschnittger, Goggomobil, Kabinenroller, Isetta, and even arguably the Fiat 500 and the Beetle.

exactly!
@heelntoe

Tave

What happens to a car when a wheel bearing fails?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

heelntoe

Quote from: Tave on January 12, 2008, 07:31:43 AM
it comes to a grinding halt? i've ridden motorcycles with bad bearings and they made squeaky noises regardless of speed.
@heelntoe

Northlands

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2008, 12:27:56 AM

I guess I never thought of it that way. What I will be interested in, is how this will hold up against its historical counterparts. At $2500 , it still almost seems like its disposable. I guess the stigma of where it's made is leading me to worry about the build quality of said machine.  What I can remember of the Beetle ( which was already around for many years after I discovered them ) was what they lacked in reliability, they gained in ease of repair.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

Quote from: Northlands on January 12, 2008, 01:48:39 PM
I guess I never thought of it that way. What I will be interested in, is how this will hold up against its historical counterparts. At $2500 , it still almost seems like its disposable. I guess the stigma of where it's made is leading me to worry about the build quality of said machine.  What I can remember of the Beetle ( which was already around for many years after I discovered them ) was what they lacked in reliability, they gained in ease of repair.

That's why this Tata uses simple components.

Disposable to us, but affordable to the indian people.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on January 12, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

On cars like this: the wheel falls off

Soup DeVille

Quote from: heelntoe on January 12, 2008, 07:22:56 AM
huh?

The car can power itself to 75 MPH or so: yet the manufacturer does not reccomend spinning the wheels faster than 45 MPH out of fear of premature bearing failure:

Which begs the question: When you reach 75 MPH, will you still have wheels or not?

Eye of the Tiger

75mph? Whoa, I want one now.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

heelntoe

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2008, 04:04:52 PM
The car can power itself to 75 MPH or so: yet the manufacturer does not reccomend spinning the wheels faster than 45 MPH out of fear of premature bearing failure:

Which begs the question: When you reach 75 MPH, will you still have wheels or not?
ah, had a dumb moment there. :lol:
@heelntoe

Maxxum

I kinda knew there will be a Nano thread here and there will be 'concerns' like these:
1) it is too small
2) it is underpowered
3) top speed is too low
Now I am not about to defend an untested product but I would say that overseas guys, let the Indians accept it at first! It is NOT designed for the US! why does every car have to be designed for the US in some of your minds!
Think about a country where 3.5 times the population of USA is crammed into an area which is about 2.5 times smaller. Where most people don't drive to work. Where parking is such a hassle that would make NYC look like Queensland. Where most people drive 2 wheelers but are slowly getting richer. They typically buy a two wheeler that costs 50-60K INR. This is designed for that two wheeler owner so that s/he can have a roof on their head in the rain if they step up to a 100K INR. Considering that the price was the biggest factor in its design, it seems like they have done a great job.
No, sorry spinners and enthusiasts, you will hardly find a place in India where you can do 75MPH! I once drove a Maruti (Suzuki) Esteem in a mid-level city there. It was smaller than the Esteem they had in the US but it was still a sedan. After a while I was sweating even though it had AC. I felt like I am maneuvering a tank amongst all the rickshaws, bicycle, three wheeler, and two wheeler traffic. It was such a chore. And that car cost 5 times the Nano. I don;t think most drivers in the city ever do even 45MPH. The max I did on the interstates there was 65-70MPH and this car is not even designed for those drives. The tiny wheels show that. I just hope they can withstand the potholes. That country needs this car. With emissions lower than or equal to the current two-wheelers, the environment needs this car. Imagine the population that - which can now afford a car - driving so many of these....imagine the emissions! The carbon emitted there will eventually affect the people everywhere in the world. So countries with loads of people like India and China need cars with lower carbon footprints. Also remember the price of gas they pay there is about $4.75 a gallon. And those are not rich people.
The other day I took my Accord for an oil change. They lifted it up and while looking at it from the bottom I realized how big and wide my car is. And most of the time I drive alone! I could have done better...now only if they sold Fits with a center console! :lol:
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

Maxxum

Quote from: Northlands on January 12, 2008, 01:48:39 PM
What I will be interested in, is how this will hold up against its historical counterparts. At $2500 , it still almost seems like its disposable. I guess the stigma of where it's made is leading me to worry about the build quality of said machine.  What I can remember of the Beetle ( which was already around for many years after I discovered them ) was what they lacked in reliability, they gained in ease of repair.
Yup, wait and see. No manufacturer starts off with great quality cars first up, so let them work on the kinks. They are beginners. I am just happy they are not carbon copying other manufacturers' cars, which is just disgusting.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")