Lexus DropTop

Started by TheIntrepid, January 13, 2008, 08:36:01 PM

TheIntrepid

Toyota unveiled their convertible version of the upcoming LF-A supercar at the North Americain International Auto Show today. The new convertible sports a V-10 engine producing more then 500hp, and goes over 200mph. Now everyone can admire your wind blown hair in style. Continue reading for more pictures and the official press release.

http://www.speed-driven.com/latest/lexus-lf-a-convertible-revealed.html

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Raza

It looks kind of good; like a Ferrari 430 Spyder and a Nissan GT-R had a baby.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TheIntrepid

I really like the simplicity of that steering wheel.

JYODER240

Good design but horrible styling.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 13, 2008, 08:37:53 PM
Good design but horrible styling.

What's the difference between the two?

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 13, 2008, 08:38:15 PM
What's the difference between the two?

Design is mostly used to describe things like proportions, whereas styling is sheetmetal and the like; as Robert Cumberford says, "styling is subjective, design isn't".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

I like it, unfortunately.  It looks good, unfortunately.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Really, for the most part, fixing the headlights and brakelights would help it alot.

giant_mtb

How does one unveil a non-existant vehicle?  :nutty:

oilfilter

Looks very good, especially the side profile. Is that interior going to make it to production as shown, or are they going to water it down?

FlatBlackCaddy

9K RPM V10, they got that part down.

It would look much better in black.

JYODER240

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 13, 2008, 08:51:07 PM
How does one unveil a non-existant vehicle?  :nutty:

Unveiling a concept car is not a new practice :huh:

omicron

That's quite good. Fix the slightly awkward front end, and I'll be all over it.

Is this going to be another Camaro, and shown as a concept eleventeen times before production commences in 2145?

SVT_Power

the front from the side looks like a S2K
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Damn I know the press release tells us it's front mid engined, but it looks so rear mid engined to me.  The proportions are a bit ambigous, it looks the engine would be rather compact to go into either end.  But why have those huge shoulder intakes behind the cabin if the engine isn't back there.  What are those cooling? I assume the rear brakes are cooled by those large lower vents in front of the rear wheels.  Also there are matching vents in the rear to let the intaked air flow out.  Conversely the front of the car has relatively small intake openings.  There are two on either side for the brakes, and a rather small instake for the engine.  There is also a strange lack of heat exhaust side slits (like those found on the Corvette, GTR, Viper, or IS-F, and many other high performance front engined cars) or hood vents (like those found on the SL55 and GT500) And I assume they put in engine in the front to actually get a trunk, but there doesn't seem to be any space for a trunk given the large vents in the rear.

So basically it has alot of routes of air intake and exhaust for the rear of the car, but very little for the front.

Vinsanity

It would be a shame if they don't make this. That would be like posting pics of a really hot girl that didn't really exist.

FlatBlackCaddy

Just looking at the car i assumed it was mid engined(rear).

As you said 565, there are all the vents in the back. There are also large black grilled vents by the tail lights. This has to be mid engined.

FlatBlackCaddy

Looked at the first 2 pics.

If its a "front mid" layout than the front of the motor normally lines up over the front axle. Looking at the pic there is no way that a V10 would fit betwee the front axle and the cabin. I'm guessing its a transverse mid engine setup.

The Pirate

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 13, 2008, 09:31:53 PM
Looked at the first 2 pics.

If its a "front mid" layout than the front of the motor normally lines up over the front axle. Looking at the pic there is no way that a V10 would fit betwee the front axle and the cabin. I'm guessing its a transverse mid engine setup.

It's a sub 5 liter engine, it could be fairly compact.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Secret Chimp

I don't like this new Lexus design philosophy, the front ends all look like bottom-feeding fish or drunk cats.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666

Believe it or not, I love it.  The only change I would make is the windshield frame should be body colour on the top too.  Otherwise it's hot.

FordSVT

I mostly like it except for that 3/4 rear view. Looks like a fat piece of bloated crap in that picture.

Catman

Looks awesome. :rockon: I really hope that's what the interior end up like.  It's strikingly simple and modern.

Minpin

Front end screams s2k to me.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Payman

cawimmer430

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 13, 2008, 08:37:31 PM
I really like the simplicity of that steering wheel.

Looks like it came out of an IS.  :huh:

It looks pretty "exotic" for a Lexus, but my heart rate didn't change when I saw the pics meaning I wasn't excited. Not crazy about the LF-A concept anyway.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MidnightDave

It's like a fairly cute Emo girl with a few too many piercings and tats--there's just too much going on there to really pull it off, if they'd tame it down a little it could be hot.
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Tave

Quote from: MidnightDave on January 15, 2008, 09:13:23 PM
It's like a fairly cute Emo girl with a few too many piercings and tats--there's just too much going on there to really pull it off, if they'd tame it down a little it could be hot.

I think every surface is simple enough except the front of the front-end. What's with today's cars and their silly little bottom lips? It's a design trend that keeps pissing me off.

All have those hideous stubs out by each wheel. Both the Cadillac and the Lexus are much too busy. All three sport bumpers that look like shit.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FordSVT

^In your opinion, of course.

SVT666

The Caddy CTS-V is every bit overstyled (or more) then this car.