Tundra and Sequoia to get diesel option

Started by ifcar, January 14, 2008, 09:07:09 AM

ifcar

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/01/toyota.html

At a reception for journalists in Detroit yesterday, Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe confirmed that the automaker would add a diesel V-8 engine for the Tundra pickup and Sequoia SUV down the road. Watanabe didn't elaborate on any specifics ? neither would communications head Irv Miller ? but the presentation backdrop, which showed the current Tundra and new-for-2008 Sequoia, suggests the engines will be available sooner rather than later, meaning before they get redesigned.

Though traditionally reserved for heavier-duty trucks like the Ford F-250 and Dodge Ram 3500, diesel engines have been all but promised for the F-150, Chevy Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500 within the next few years. What's more, Automotive News reported last June that Nissan may build a diesel Titan by next year. Thanks to the low-sulfur diesel available in the U.S. for more than a year now, the technology is clean enough to be certifiable in all 50 states. Diesel engines generate prodigious low-end torque, making them a natural fit for pickups, and the combustion properties of the fuel mean the engines get some 30 percent better mileage than comparable gas engines, according to some reports. The Sequoia and Tundra both use Toyota's 5.7-liter V-8. Do the math and a diesel could mean serious low-end grunt with highway mileage in the low 20s.

Along with the diesel announcement, Watanabe detailed a four-part plan Toyota calls "sustainable mobility." Among the highlights were plans to introduce two new production hybrids, one Toyota and one Lexus, at the Detroit auto show next year. Both will be "dedicated hybrids," which means they won't simply be hybrid versions of an existing car. Toyota is also pushing to extract E85 from wood waste rather than from corn ? not unlike GM's plans announced yesterday ? as well as develop high-tech lithium ion batteries for use in test fleets by 2010.

GoCougs

Meh - diesels in a 1/2-ton don't make much finanical sense.

Same can be said I guess for the many 3/4- and 1-ton trucks bought for non-commerical uses, but many are only too happy to pay the price premium.

Maybe that's it - a HD Tundra/Sequoia is in the works.

giant_mtb

Catman

I'd love a diesel 1/2 ton.  The only issue is the huge price premium of usually $4000 or better.  I think I would pay an extra $2000 though.

The Pirate

I'd buy a diesel as well.  I want to see the Tacoma and Frontier get 4-cylinder turbodiesels, I'd buy one of those tomorrow.  IIRC, the Tacoma is available with a diesel overseas (Hilux).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Catman

Quote from: The Pirate on January 14, 2008, 05:16:51 PM
I'd buy a diesel as well.  I want to see the Tacoma and Frontier get 4-cylinder turbodiesels, I'd buy one of those tomorrow.  IIRC, the Tacoma is available with a diesel overseas (Hilux).

When I was in Saudi Arabia we had those.  Those were stout little trucks!

omicron

The new 200 Series Landcruiser is available here with a 4.5 litre twin-turbo diesel V8, producing 262hp and 479lb-ft. This engine or a related version, perhaps?

Catman

Quote from: omicron on January 14, 2008, 11:41:58 PM
The new 200 Series Landcruiser is available here with a 4.5 litre twin-turbo diesel V8, producing 262hp and 479lb-ft. This engine or a related version, perhaps?

That would do.

Danish

Quote from: Catman on January 14, 2008, 05:32:20 PM
When I was in Saudi Arabia we had those.  Those were stout little trucks!

Top Gear tried to kill one.... and the thing wouldn't die!
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Catman

Quote from: Danish on January 16, 2008, 04:18:27 PM
Top Gear tried to kill one.... and the thing wouldn't die!

We used those weird 1 ton jobs.

dlp

Well GM is going to offer it next year so as usual, Toyota will follow.

It makes alot of sense to have a diesel in a half ton. The fuel milage will increase by a solid 20%, and most people dont need the power of a large CID diesel all the time. I am one of those potential buyers. I tow a travel trailer / fifth wheel trailer about 3500 miles a year. It would kill a gas powered rig over the years. I keep my rigs for atleast 6 years or longer. I have had heavy half tons, they lacked the power to feel comfortable towing over the mountain passes. My current Chevy 3/4 ton Duramax is a little overkill for 90% of the time I drive it. But when I need the power / weight / brakes it delivers + some. It is overkill, do I really need to be able to drag 12,000lbs of trailer over the I90 pass at 80+ MPH if I want to?

No, but I didnt have options when I bought it. Hopefully next time I buy I will have the option to buy a halfton with a diesel. Dont care if it is a Toyota or GM product. Offer what I need.