Lexus ES350 - Test Drive Impressions

Started by TheIntrepid, January 15, 2008, 01:07:50 PM

CJ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 15, 2008, 08:11:07 PM
My mom used to have a 2006 CXL with every option but the leather. I hated it. When TREP calls a car boring, it's boring.

Anyway she wants to drive the new C300 tomorrow...

I could have sworn that the L meant it had leather.  Maybe it means something different in Canada.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on January 15, 2008, 08:35:25 PM
Yeah, it's the 3.6.  I took the thing up to 100 with a salesman in it before I realized how quickly it was moving.  Good suspension, the interior was put together really well.  I rather enjoyed it. 

They even sell a V8 Lacrosse now.  That's new.  The CXS was top of the line back then.

Is the "Allure Super" the V8? I guess it's the same 5.3 powerplant in the Grand Prix GXP and the Impala SS.

It's still FWD. Who the fuck wants 303hp and front-wheel-drive?!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CJ

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 15, 2008, 08:46:47 PM
Is the "Allure Super" the V8? I guess it's the same 5.3 powerplant in the Grand Prix GXP and the Impala SS.

It's still FWD. Who the fuck wants 303hp and front-wheel-drive?!

Plenty of people, I assume.  You've got to think in terms of highway; someone with this car isn't stoplight racing. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Pancor

Quote from: Raza  on January 15, 2008, 06:55:50 PM
I think it was slang for masturbation.  I didn't know they actually changed the name for Canada.  Before it came out, there was concern over the name, but the last I had read, they had decided to go with Lacrosse as the name anyway.  I guess not.

Lol....  "lacrosse" in le francais quebecois is roughly akin to our english "beat off" and from what i've picked up while in Quebec (with my rough understanding of french) can mean other somewhat sexual things as well.  While I don't really follow the latest news on the Buick Brand, I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard about this earlier!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on January 15, 2008, 08:44:25 PM

I could have sworn that the L meant it had leather.  Maybe it means something different in Canada.

That's Honda. In Buick's terminology, CX is the base. Adding options puts you to the CXL (ours had the chrome package and the sunroof).

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on January 15, 2008, 08:44:25 PM

The US LaCrosse CXL has leather.

ifcar

Quote from: Pancor on January 15, 2008, 09:20:27 PM

Lol....  "lacrosse" in le francais quebecois is roughly akin to our english "beat off" and from what i've picked up while in Quebec (with my rough understanding of french) can mean other somewhat sexual things as well.  While I don't really follow the latest news on the Buick Brand, I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard about this earlier!

Why don't you drop Bob Lutz a line? He's on the record for being convinced that people made this issue up to confuse him.

Lebowski

Tell her to just get an '08 Accord and be done with it.  So what if she doesn't like the looks - if she likes the new ES she has horrible taste.  The ES is just an overpriced, rebadged Camry, and the new Accord is better than the Camry, so she'd be an idiot not to get one.

MidnightDave

Why in Geawd's name would anybody under the age of 50 look at an ES?

When we bought the IS, my eyes were burning from just being near those pieces of crap! I think the ES typifies everything Wimmer hates about Lexus and I understand why.

Also, young drivers may be better served by a smaller car. What about a VW, Subie, or Volvo--panache, style, speed enough, roomy enough for three friends, small enough to stay between the lines and not just another Civic...
2006 Lexus IS350 - bone stock wouldn't change a thing
2006 MINI Cooper S - For Sale!
2002 Toyota Tacoma - A man and his truck, it's a beautiful thing!

Raza

Quote from: MidnightDave on January 18, 2008, 08:16:43 AM
Why in Geawd's name would anybody under the age of 50 look at an ES?

When we bought the IS, my eyes were burning from just being near those pieces of crap! I think the ES typifies everything Wimmer hates about Lexus and I understand why.

Also, young drivers may be better served by a smaller car. What about a VW, Subie, or Volvo--panache, style, speed enough, roomy enough for three friends, small enough to stay between the lines and not just another Civic...

That's why I suggested the TSX.  However, I think the woman is under the impression that a large car is a safer car, or something like that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Wait, not much nose dive under braking? Did you actually drive this car or have you never driven a car that doesn't stand on its nose under hard braking?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi