Dodge Challenger caught showing EVERYTHING

Started by CJ, January 16, 2008, 01:39:22 PM

CJ

Quote from: Byteme on January 18, 2008, 11:12:36 AM
I was thinking more of what if they decide to start producing in quantity, like the Mustang.

It's a relatively limited production vehicle.

Nethead

First, they cut first-year Challenger production from 30,000 units to 5,000 units. Now, the Hemi gets a hard look by the Board of Directors.  This can't be good...

It looks like the Hemi engine, an icon for the Chrysler Corporation, won't be included in forthcoming applications due to changing fuel economy standards. Rising gas prices have already hurt sales of vehicles featuring these engines, causing Chrysler to cut back production. Now co-president Jim Press has declared, "The Hemi is not the powertrain of the future." Similar to the direction taken by GM, Chrysler is banking on newly developed V6 powerplants to take the reigns from current V8 options. These Phoenix engines are scheduled to hit production in 2009.

The Hemi engine's downfall is its inability to adapt to features proven to increase efficiency. The large combustion chamber design and dual valve structure leads to blow-by of unburned fuel, thus producing large levels of undesired emissions. The use of dual spark plugs has improved burn in the hemispherical combustion chamber, however, it's a solution that increased cost and complexity. More modern and efficient chamber structures, unlike the Hemi, can fit four valves and utilize dual overhead camshafts. Chrysler plans to implement these features into their future V6 engines, along with cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing.

[Source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

I don't remember first year production ever beibg anything but 5000 (which was recently increased to 6500+).

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2008, 02:03:55 PM
I don't remember first year production ever beibg anything but 5000 (which was recently increased to 6500+).

At whatever car show it was that marked the first public display of the Challenger concept, Chrysler dudes--officially DCX dudes at that time--said the production goals for the first two years was 20,000--30,000 per year, and then they would re-assess the annual production figure for the third year and following years.  The 20,000--30,000 per year figure was dropped to 5,000 per year by the current owners shortly after they took over.  But back at that time the target sticker price was $30,000, per those same dudes.  I got that info from the autoshow website article about the Challenger concept--the article may still be out there on whatever autoshow website had the article. A general Google might pull it up, unless it has been archived by now--wasn't the concept touring the autoshow rotundas two years ago already?  Seems like longer...

FordSVT

I will back Nethead up on this, I remember them saying 20-30,000 initial units quite clearly.

Nethead

Quote from: FordSVT on January 31, 2008, 03:23:14 PM
I will back Nethead up on this, I remember them saying 20-30,000 initial units quite clearly.

And the Nethead here will back up SVTDude on this--at the time, initial sales of 20,000--30,000 units per year seemed quite reasonable for a $30,000 vehicle, and re-assessing the market after two years seemed exceptionally prudent as well.

A lot has changed at Chrysler since then...

NomisR

You know, the design on the Challenger would look really dated after a year of it's release after it's novelty wears off, just like the Mustang.  I think the Camaro has a more lasting look because it was retro for styling cues but it has a lot more modern feel to it than the Mustang and Challenger. 

Plus, the Challenger looks, fat..

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 01, 2008, 03:09:19 PM
You know, the design on the Challenger would look really dated after a year of it's release after it's novelty wears off, just like the Mustang.  I think the Camaro has a more lasting look because it was retro for styling cues but it has a lot more modern feel to it than the Mustang and Challenger. 

Plus, the Challenger looks, fat..

Honestly, I really dislike the upcoming Camaro, and think the current Mustang and soon-to-be-released Challenger look much, much better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Thing is, the Mustang and Camaro will likely outhandle and outaccelerate the Challenger.

I think all three are ugly.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2008, 03:28:08 PM
Thing is, the Mustang and Camaro will likely outhandle and outaccelerate the Challenger.

Basis for your assumption?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=12939.msg724165#msg724165 date=1201905311

Basis for your assumption?

The Challenger is LX car based. The camaro isn't going to be too much lighter (Zeta Based) but the mustang I think is unique. (For now)

NomisR

None of them are a beauty, I prefer the original car's looks over the modern versions

Found a picture of this for the Camaro that looked pretty good though, looks like a mix w/ a vette? 

PS.  I'm doing this from a remote desktop and everything is b&w might look ugly in color

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2008, 03:38:23 PM

The Challenger is LX car based. The camaro isn't going to be too much lighter (Zeta Based) but the mustang I think is unique. (For now)

The Challenger is on the LY platform, which has its beginnings in the LX platform, sure.  But as I recall, the Mustang's platform is a distant relative of the Lincoln LS and Thunderbird.  Doesn't mean it handles like those two cars. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on February 01, 2008, 03:38:23 PM

The Mustang's platform is heavily based on the 1911 Model T.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 01, 2008, 03:11:24 PM
Honestly, I really dislike the upcoming Camaro, and think the current Mustang and soon-to-be-released Challenger look much, much better.
Yea, I definitely don't like the styling of the Camaro compared to its competitors.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 01, 2008, 03:41:26 PM
The Challenger is on the LY platform, which has its beginnings in the LX platform, sure.  But as I recall, the Mustang's platform is a distant relative of the Lincoln LS and Thunderbird.  Doesn't mean it handles like those two cars. 
From what I know, the LY platform is basically just a shortened LX.

Anyone know anything more about this? 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 01, 2008, 09:03:59 PM
Yea, I definitely don't like the styling of the Camaro compared to its competitors.
Is that because you just brought a 'Stang?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 01, 2008, 09:08:21 PM
From what I know, the LY platform is basically just a shortened LX.

Anyone know anything more about this? 

For example, the Eos and GTI are on the same platform, but have different suspensions.  The VW Phaeton and Bentley Continental GT also.  There's a Lambo on that platform too.  350Z and FX45.

Platform can mean a lot of things.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Lebowski

Quote from: Catman on January 16, 2008, 06:17:43 PM
I wasn't really swayed by the orange since I'm conservative with the colors but this looks really good, I like it. :rockon:

What's that in your sig?

Lebowski

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on February 01, 2008, 03:45:48 PM
The Mustang's platform is heavily based on the 1911 Model T.

You know Dazzle bought a Model T new from Henry Ford himself...

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

thewizard16

I really dislike this car, am neutral to the Mustang, and love the Camaro. I really think that all of these will do okay because if you don't like one, one of the others will jump out at you. There were an extraordinary number of older men (and a few wives dragged along) clustered around the Camaro at the auto show and far fewer in any other place. I personally don't understand how anyone can find the Camaro unattractive , but then again, many could be confused by my dislike for the Dodge.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

CALL_911

Quote from: thewizard16 on February 02, 2008, 01:40:54 PM
I really dislike this car, am neutral to the Mustang, and love the Camaro. I really think that all of these will do okay because if you don't like one, one of the others will jump out at you. There were an extraordinary number of older men (and a few wives dragged along) clustered around the Camaro at the auto show and far fewer in any other place. I personally don't understand how anyone can find the Camaro unattractive , but then again, many could be confused by my dislike for the Dodge.

I do. It's called taste. Some people think different things look like crap. For instance, I can't understand how anyone thinks the 964 is short of gorgeous, but there are people (Hi, Rag), and well, thats their taste.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 02, 2008, 09:50:39 AM
For example, the Eos and GTI are on the same platform, but have different suspensions.  The VW Phaeton and Bentley Continental GT also.  There's a Lambo on that platform too.  350Z and FX45.

Platform can mean a lot of things.
Yea, I get platform sharing.  I was asking for difference between the LY and LX.

BTW, what Lambo do you think rides on the same platform as the Phaeton and CGT, or did I misenterpret what you said?

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 02, 2008, 03:02:01 PM
Yea, I get platform sharing.  I was asking for difference between the LY and LX.

BTW, what Lambo do you think rides on the same platform as the Phaeton and CGT, or did I misenterpret what you said?

I honestly can't remember which one it is, but I think the Gallardo shares the same basic platform as the Continental GT, Phaeton, and A8.  But it could be the Murcielago.  Those are the only two options. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 02, 2008, 01:43:46 PM
I do. It's called taste. Some people think different things look like crap. For instance, I can't understand how anyone thinks the 964 is short of gorgeous, but there are people (Hi, Rag), and well, thats their taste.

Is 964 the Boxster?  I think it's very short of gorgeous.  But I like the Camaro. (if it turns out like the concept, anyway)

It's good we have different tastes or life would be boring.

LonghornTX

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on February 02, 2008, 01:03:13 AM
Is that because you just brought a 'Stang?
No, more because I don't think the Camaro will translate into a good looking production car.  Sure, the concept car looks stunning, but it does so with useless side mirrors and something like 22' wheels.  I think that the car will either suffer the fate of wearing stupidly heavy, big wheels or look very large and bloated without them.  The belt line is too high for me and the interior looks to be way too retro for even my tastes.

Of course, I will reserve final judgement for when I see the final car IRL.