Twin-Turbo 720-hp V12 in a C-Class Package

Started by Lazerous, January 17, 2008, 04:44:29 PM

Lazerous

Ever since the 2008 Brabus Bullit first appeared on the carpet at the Frankfurt auto show last fall, we've been waiting to be beckoned to the Brabus factory to fire it in anger.

The Brabus Bullit is a 223-mph projectile that lives up to its name, another bold statement of tuner craziness from the overheated imagination of Bondo Buschmann, the founder and chief executive of Brabus.

The idea of a twin-turbo 720-horsepower Mercedes-Benz V12 will put anyone in a sweat, and this particular example has been stuffed under the hood of the brand-new 2008 Mercedes-Benz C-Class sedan.

Celebrating 30 Years of Extreme Thinking
Buschmann celebrated his 30th year in business last November, and he's come a long way from the little tuning shop he set up in 1977 in the Ruhr Valley to build Mercedes-Benz hot rods.

A fleet of 200 high-performance Mercedes 190Es put Brabus on the map in 1984, and since then the company has progressed from simply installing high-performance accessories (usually the more the better) to the creation of dedicated Brabus models, notably the 230-mph Brabus Rocket based on the Mercedes-Benz CLS. These days, the Brabus facility covers 1.2 million square feet along Kirchhellener Strasse in Bottrop, not far from the city of Essen.

For all these decades, Brabus has been pursuing extreme engine power, a quest that has often seemed like an internal battle against its own megalomaniacal demons. No other German tuner is prepared to go to such lengths in both financial and engineering terms to reach its goal. This thirst for power would have any number of psychoanalysts reaching for their jotter, but for fans of fantastic engineering, merely being in the presence of such an object is pretty much as good as it gets.

Start With Power

At Brabus, everything seems to start with the Brabus SV12 S BiTurbo, a version of the twin-turbo 6.0-liter Mercedes-Benz V12. Brabus increases the bore of the cylinders to raise displacement to 6,233cc, then fits its own pistons and connecting rods. The cylinder heads (three valves per cylinder) are re-machined and fitted with a different camshaft.

Upstream of the engine you'll find two larger turbos and more efficient intercoolers in place of the stock Mercedes-Benz items. Downstream you'll find a stainless-steel exhaust system with low-restriction catalysts.

The result is 720 horsepower, a 19 percent increase over the stock twin-turbo Benz V12. The engine's peak torque output is actually 974 pound-feet, an astonishing 32 percent increase, but the engine's electronics have been calibrated to reduce the output in the C-Class to a more manageable 811 lb-ft, a 10 percent increase.

Keeping the Genie in the Bottle

Once you fit the Brabus V12 under the hood of the latest Mercedes-Benz C-Class, it's no small task to keep such power in control. No wonder Brabus does a big makeover of the little Mercedes.

To keep the Bullit on target as it speeds down the autobahn (or across the desert wastes of the Middle East, where Brabus has always enjoyed a strong market), the C-Class' aerodynamics have been suitably modified. The front fascia admits more air to the deep-breathing V12, while the airdam runs close to the pavement. The new rocker sills are pronounced and there's a gaping aero diffuser beneath the rear bumper that's complemented by a three-piece spoiler on the deck lid.

The Brabus coil-over suspension features dampers that are 10-way adjustable in both compression and rebound, and stiff antiroll bars minimize body roll during cornering. The brakes appear to be up to the task of extreme speed, as the thick front rotors measure 15 inches in diameter and feature the latest 12-piston fixed calipers.

Of course, it's all about keeping the tires on the ground, and the 19-inch wheels feature Yokohama Advan Sport tires, 265/30ZR19s on 9-inch rims in front and 285/30ZR19s on 10-inch rims in the rear.

Test Firing the Bullit

After complications with some kind of incredible windstorm that delay our drive, we finally get behind the wheel of the Bullit.

The exterior style has been finalized, and all of the extra body addenda has been made from carbon fiber. In the rigorously Germanic interior, it seems as though not one single element apart from the headlight control has been carried over from the C-Class, and everything has been smothered in leather, suede, aluminum or carbon fiber.

Under the thick, specially made plate that surrounds the gearlever, there's the five-speed automatic transmission that Mercedes customarily matches with the V12 engine, since the new seven-speed automatic doesn't have the necessary torque capacity. (In fact, even this five-speed has been uprated by Brabus.) A limited-slip differential also helps tame the power production.

While the Bullit's specifications sheet certainly conjures up an image of pavement-creasing performance, we have to admit that we only got a small sample of what this car promises. This Bullit is a prototype unable to do more than scratch the surface of its potential. For a start, the suspension feels like it's made of wood and at speeds of more than 90 mph the whole thing gets more than a little hairy. The engine's ECU is still at the development stage, so the V12 requires patience.

Just like any other prototype, the Bullit drives badly, and some parts are not working well (or even at all). Even so, this car represents a $1.5 million investment in parts and labor for Brabus.

Coming Soon

Once the 2008 Brabus Bullit is finally ready, it'll make some serious numbers. We're promised 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.9 seconds, 124 mph in 10.5 seconds and even 186 mph in 24.5 seconds.

You clearly don't have to hold your breath very long to reach the Brabus Bullit's advertised top speed of 223 mph. Of course, it all comes at a price that will steal your breath away for at least a couple of minutes: $515,000.

Double-stitched leather juxtaposed with carbon-fiber detailing; the interior is an extravagant display of high-tech luxury.

Brabus builds its own 720-hp version of the twin-turbo Mercedes V12 and then stuffs it into the C-Class.

Ummmm....wow! However, I'm not sure if I am a big fan of the dark empty grill...

sandertheshark

Jesus Christ on a crutch, why would anyone make a front tire that fat?  In a RWD car, no less?

Pancor

"265/30ZR19s on 9-inch rims in front and 285/30ZR19s on 10-inch rims in the rear."

Its really not that extreme.  I agree that is looks f'ing wide in that pic though!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 17, 2008, 08:04:31 PM

Jesus Christ on a crutch, why would anyone make a front tire that fat?  In a RWD car, no less?

I think I'd want the brakes to work too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sandertheshark

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2008, 08:13:32 PM
I think I'd want the brakes to work too.
I'd sacrifice a few feet of breaking distance in order for my car to not understeer like a plow.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 17, 2008, 08:15:13 PM
I'd sacrifice a few feet of breaking distance in order for my car to not understeer like a plow.

Twin-turbo 720 HP V12.

Oversteer whenever you might want it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lazerous

Want to know what has some really wide tires? The Dodge Viper's rear wheels. Holy mother of cows are those tires wide!

sandertheshark

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2008, 08:18:33 PM
Twin-turbo 720 HP V12.

Oversteer whenever you might want it.
Understeer like a plow under braking, tire-melting donut under power.  Not useful options on a track.

the Teuton

With all of the money they invested in this thing, they still couldn't fix the hood gap.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 17, 2008, 08:22:42 PM
Understeer like a plow under braking, tire-melting donut under power.  Not useful options on a track.

So brake a little early: you'll make up the difference at the exit!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 17, 2008, 08:04:31 PM

Jesus Christ, how could a panel gap like that appear on a new Mercedes.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Make mine black. Maybe that would help hide the panel gaps.  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Submariner

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 20, 2008, 08:55:31 AM

The panel gap HAS to be intentional.  I'm not here as a die hard fan, but I can't imagine they just skimmed on that one part.  BAd taste, but intentional none the less.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

omicron

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 20, 2008, 08:55:31 AM

This was intentional. Look under the hood. The air going underneath the bonnet is vented out through the sides, hence the large gap. Guess this has something to do with aerodynamics or something.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

93JC

Ah, no.

An older Saturn with plastic panels has relatively big gaps because the plastic expands more than metal in the heat. That's intentional.

The new C-class has huge panel gaps because that part was not designed to fit with tighter tolerances. It's not intentional.

giant_mtb

CALL_911

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 21, 2008, 01:30:11 PM
But...it's...it's for airflow!

:wtf:

Yeah, seriously. They wouldn't do it in the form of a, uh, hood panel gap.  :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

I can imagine killing myself in one of those.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

LonghornTX

This thing is bad ass.  Probably one of my favorite Benz tuner cars from recent times.  I especially like the CF rear diffusor and front grill.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

ChrisV

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 17, 2008, 08:15:13 PM

I've autocrossed cars with that combination. it can easily work just fine. In fact, that much front tire doesn't mean as much understeer as a narrower tire does. To increase understeer you REDUCE the front tire size.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ChrisV on January 24, 2008, 07:37:20 AM
I've autocrossed cars with that combination. it can easily work just fine. In fact, that much front tire doesn't mean as much understeer as a narrower tire does. To increase understeer you REDUCE the front tire size.

Good catch. BMW uses skinnier front tires because they want their cars to understeer in normal driving (the chassis is balanced), whereas Audi has traditionally put wide tires on the front to help reduce oversteer (for example I think the A6 comes with 245 tires front and back).

The Pontiac Grand Prix GXP actually put wider tires in the front of the car to try and keep it under control.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 24, 2008, 09:16:47 AM
Good catch. BMW uses skinnier front tires because they want their cars to understeer in normal driving (the chassis is balanced), whereas Audi has traditionally put wide tires on the front to help reduce oversteer (for example I think the A6 comes with 245 tires front and back).

The Pontiac Grand Prix GXP actually put wider tires in the front of the car to try and keep it under control.
The wider tires up front helped with torque steer also.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide