raise highway and interstate speedlimits 10 MPH

Started by Sean, January 20, 2008, 12:54:08 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Sean on January 20, 2008, 12:54:08 PM
With all the technological advancements in safety and engineering and multiple stability systems on almost every decent car, why don't they raise the speedlimits on highways and interstates just 10 MPH?
I can't imagine it would be much more dangerous than the current speeds and I know that all the bits and pieces of a modern car can handle that speed
make it a left lane only speed, whatever, but make it so I can get there faster legally

what does everyone think?

Because the average driver in this country is doing good just to avoid killing themselves at the current speed limits.  Make them more proficient then talk about raising the limits.

Byteme

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on January 20, 2008, 09:41:19 PM
Depends on where, really. I can see rural interstates with 75mph limits, but in most major cities, I doubt it. Texas has already raised the day limit to 80mph on I-10(?).

True, but that's where you see more jackrabbits and dust devils than cars. 

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on January 21, 2008, 07:11:31 AM
"The classic at night is the high-beams push and tailgating to intimidate."

They offense is tailgating, not flashing your lights.

But if they moved over when the lights flashed, the tailgating would never take place.

Many of the people who complain about 'intimidation' are just self-righteous pricks who want to enforce their driving principles on whomever happens to be on the road with them at the same time.

We have signs on our roads that say "Keep right except to pass."  Why not ticket for failing to follow that admonition?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Tailgating is not justifiable because it is not safe. Again, it doesn't matter whether you decide they deserve it.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on January 21, 2008, 07:28:07 AM
Tailgating is not justifiable because it is not safe. Again, it doesn't matter whether you decide they deserve it.

So only the tailgater is wrong?  The person blocking the left lane, in defiance of the laws that say "keep right except to pass" is not wrong?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 07:43:02 AM
So only the tailgater is wrong?  The person blocking the left lane, in defiance of the laws that say "keep right except to pass" is not wrong?

So are you in the "two wrongs make a right" camp?

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 07:43:02 AM

I guess the theory is one can't control someone else's stupitity.  One can control one's own.

In other words, just because someone else is driving like a dick doesn't mean you should too.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on January 21, 2008, 07:54:06 AM
So are you in the "two wrongs make a right" camp?

No, I just don't think that if there are two wrongs, only one of them should be called wrong.  And that's exactly what you're doing.  You say one wrong should be targeted for punishment, while the other should be tolerated.

dazzleman

Quote from: Byteme on January 21, 2008, 07:55:44 AM
I guess the theory is one can't control someone else's stupitity.  One can control one's own.

In other words, just because someone else is driving like a dick doesn't mean you should too.

I don't tailgate on the road.  But I have a problem with people who criticize taligaters, and even those who flash their lights without tailgating, without looking at how the tailgating could be avoided if the left lane blocker only moved over into the lane he/she should be in.

ifcar

I don't. It's your own responsibility to drive safely and courteously, and it's even more important to do so when your fellow drivers are not.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on January 21, 2008, 08:15:23 AM
I don't. It's your own responsibility to drive safely and courteously, and it's even more important to do so when your fellow drivers are not.

Well, I can't disagree that every driver should behave responsibly.

But in that article, I seem to be seeing that certain types of irresponsible driving should be condoned, even rewarded and protected, while others should be punished.  That I can't agree with.

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 08:03:32 AM
I don't tailgate on the road.  But I have a problem with people who criticize taligaters, and even those who flash their lights without tailgating, without looking at how the tailgating could be avoided if the left lane blocker only moved over into the lane he/she should be in.

Go ahead and have your problem.  :rolleyes:   It doesn't alter the fact that tailgating is stupid, for whatever reason.

dazzleman

Quote from: Byteme on January 21, 2008, 08:25:51 AM
Go ahead and have your problem.  :rolleyes:   It doesn't alter the fact that tailgating is stupid, for whatever reason.

...and so is blocking the left lane, for whatever reason...

ifcar

It's possible to "block" the left lane while passing in the eyes of someone who'd rather be doing even more over the speed limit.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on January 21, 2008, 08:29:25 AM
It's possible to "block" the left lane while passing in the eyes of someone who'd rather be doing even more over the speed limit.

That's true.  I'm talking about the people who are in the left lane without passing.

I am one of the faster drivers on the road, so I tend to be in the left lane quite a bit.  But if I'm not passing anybody, I move over so I'm not blocking the left lane.

There are some people out there who try to drive too fast, and are overly aggressive.  But in my experience, they are far outnumbered by those following poor driving technique by blocking the left lane when they don't belong there.  In moderately heavy traffic, this can cause dangerous chain reactions among those trying to get around them.  Blocking the left lane disrupts the safe flow of traffic on the road.

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 08:26:33 AM
...and so is blocking the left lane, for whatever reason...

Sure is, but I as a driver can't control that.  I can control my own tailgating.

Edit:

If I'm in the lesft lane passing cars and someone comes flying up behind me and tailgates impatently that person just might sit there one hell of a long time.  If, on the other hand, that person comes up behind and sits a reasonable distance off my rear bumper waiting for me to move over when I get a chance his chance will come a lot quicker.

I don't advocate this but I've heard of people who carry a collection of ball bearings, nuts, pebbles, whatever that they flip out of their open sunroof when someone is riding their rear bumper.  I mention that only to point out that there is a risk of damage to one's car from tailgating even if there is no accident.

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 08:32:42 AM
That's true.  I'm talking about the people who are in the left lane without passing.

I am one of the faster drivers on the road, so I tend to be in the left lane quite a bit.  But if I'm not passing anybody, I move over so I'm not blocking the left lane.

There are some people out there who try to drive too fast, and are overly aggressive.  But in my experience, they are far outnumbered by those following poor driving technique by blocking the left lane when they don't belong there.  In moderately heavy traffic, this can cause dangerous chain reactions among those trying to get around them.  Blocking the left lane disrupts the safe flow of traffic on the road.

Interesting.  You advocate higher speeds despite you assertion that a significant number of drivers follow poor driving technique.

dazzleman

Quote from: Byteme on January 21, 2008, 08:45:34 AM
Interesting.  You advocate higher speeds despite you assertion that a significant number of drivers follow poor driving technique.

No, I just think slower drivers should keep right.  I don't think they should go faster.

Byteme

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 09:36:12 AM
No, I just think slower drivers should keep right.  I don't think they should go faster.

So, the speed limits shouldn't be raised then?

Champ

Quote from: ifcar on January 21, 2008, 07:28:07 AM
What's your opinion on defending your house and belongings?  Do you have the right to shoot the burglar who is robbing your stuff?

Sure shooting someone is terrible, but you wouldn't be doing it if they weren't doing it in the first place.

Which sounds like:
Sure tailgating someone is terrible, but you wouldn't be doing it if they weren't doing it in the first place.

Byteme

Quote from: Champ on January 21, 2008, 10:24:26 AM
What's your opinion on defending your house and belongings?  Do you have the right to shoot the burglar who is robbing your stuff?

Sure shooting someone is terrible, but you wouldn't be doing it if they weren't doing it in the first place.

Which sounds like:
Sure tailgating someone is terrible, but you wouldn't be doing it if they weren't doing it in the first place.

You don't see a difference between being robbed which has quantifiable negative consequences and being held up for a few moments behind someone in the left lane who's only "crime" might be not exceeding the speed limit to the extent you would like to?   :rolleyes:

ifcar

Quote from: Champ on January 21, 2008, 10:24:26 AM

Which sounds like:

:rolleyes:

By tailgating you're risking your own safety.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on January 20, 2008, 08:39:51 PM
"The classic at night is the high-beams push and tailgating to intimidate," Vance said, adding that while each investigation is different and according to a trooper's individual observations, charges can rise from speeding to reckless driving, requiring a court appearance to answer a Class A misdemeanor.

The problem is that a simple flash of the lights at a left-lane hog is often automatically interpreted as "intimidation". Yeah, maybe after about twenty-times, but the first time is just to get their attention because they're obstructing traffic. And this is a law-enforcment officer talking. Screw this, I'm ready to overthrow the government. Who's with me?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

Quote from: NACar on January 21, 2008, 10:54:09 AM
, I'm ready to overthrow the government. Who's with me?

I doubt anyone who thinks "Surf's Up" is one of the greatest movies ever will find many followers.   :rolleyes:

Sean

If someone breaks into my home I think I have every right to shoot him
hold on, I need to find my pictures

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on January 21, 2008, 06:53:10 AM
It depends on what you define as dangerous.

On an interstate in reasonable traffic and road conditions, I don't consider 80 mph to be dangerous.  If 'intimidation' consists of trying to move over drivers who are clogging the left lane at a low speed when there are other places for them to drive, then those being 'intimidated' deserve it.

That columnist is a mamby-pamby liberal who thinks that law enforcement is too tough on real criminals, and that we lock up too many 'non-violent' criminals (translation: the guy who breaks into your house or steals your car doesn't deserve prison).

So it's interesting to see that he suddenly supports law enforcement when it comes to issues like speeding.

There are times when I see a crazy driver that I hope gets caught doing what he did.  But I guarantee that my threshold is different than his.

Most anything anyone can do to compelling left-lane campers to get out of the left lane is a ticketable offense IMO - including high-beam flashing. It should be also noted that left-lane camping is a ticketable offense as well in some/most states. However, most anything anyone can do to compell a left-lane camper to get right is more dangerous than the left-lane camping itself, including one of the most dangerous willful acts in driving, tailgating.

GoCougs

Quote from: James Young on January 20, 2008, 10:26:37 PM
Yes, but then you take pleasure in watching people go bankrupt, too.

Yes, I do - but then again who doesn't? Clean slates and/or reorganziations afforded by a bankrupcty are an important facet of a modern economy. And it's certainly nicer than debtors' prisons of yore.

Now how this has any bearing on the subject at hand I'm at a loss (other than of course it's a sign that once again I've got your goat, that is).

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on January 21, 2008, 12:19:53 PM
Most anything anyone can do to compelling left-lane campers to get out of the left lane is a ticketable offense IMO - including high-beam flashing. It should be also noted that left-lane camping is a ticketable offense as well in some/most states. However, most anything anyone can do to compell a left-lane camper to get right is more dangerous than the left-lane camping itself, including one of the most dangerous willful acts in driving, tailgating.

You think high beam flashing should be a ticketable offense?  That's ridiculous.  Next thing you'll say that honking should be illegal (and actually, it is in some places) and so should any communication between motorists.  There are three ways people can communicate with each other while on the road; honking, flashing, and hand gestures.  Barring some hand gestures, communication can generally lead to a better driving experience with fewer instances of road rage.  I use the high beam flash and have been flashed many times on the highway, and it's always been received much better than gesticulating wildly and tailgating. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on January 21, 2008, 12:29:13 PM
You think high beam flashing should be a ticketable offense?  That's ridiculous.  Next thing you'll say that honking should be illegal (and actually, it is in some places) and so should any communication between motorists.  There are three ways people can communicate with each other while on the road; honking, flashing, and hand gestures.  Barring some hand gestures, communication can generally lead to a better driving experience with fewer instances of road rage.  I use the high beam flash and have been flashed many times on the highway, and it's always been received much better than gesticulating wildly and tailgating. 

Actually, a careful re-read of my post shows that I said it is a ticketable offense, not whether it should or shouldn't be. And it is - at least in Washington. So is using the horn at "inappropriate" times. How often these laws are enforced I'm not exactly sure...

People act as if left-lane camping is this mammoth sin. It really isn't. The sin is common  reactions to it, such as tailgating and spirited left-lane banditry (though I wouldn't include high-beam flashing, which I try not to do but have). I dislike left-lane camping as much as the next guy, but there's only so much one can do.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Byteme on January 21, 2008, 11:29:50 AM
I doubt anyone who thinks "Surf's Up" is one of the greatest movies ever will find many followers.   :rolleyes:

You are t3h wr0ng!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)