GTPC 290

Started by Eye of the Tiger, January 24, 2008, 09:09:57 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Looking for the name of the object in the center, and the constellation it's located in.  :mrcool:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Minpin

Quote from: CJ on January 24, 2008, 09:58:37 PM
Earth?

Since we definitely have satellites thousands upon thousands of light years from the earth to take pictures like these.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 24, 2008, 09:59:13 PM
The Sun :lol:

Same goes for you too.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

sandertheshark

Quote from: Minpin on January 24, 2008, 10:01:12 PM
Since we definitely have satellites thousands upon thousands of light years from the earth to take pictures like these.  :rolleyes:

Same goes for you too.
Ever heard of Stargate?

Minpin

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Minpin

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 24, 2008, 10:04:16 PM
Ever heard of Star Wars?
Thanks for making the thread hideously gay, trep.  :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on January 24, 2008, 10:01:12 PM

Same goes for you too.

It seems that you're one of the smart ones. :lol:

Quote from: Psilos on January 24, 2008, 09:52:48 PM
Cheat!

What? No cheating! I'll give hints if necessary.

Minpin

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:09:25 PM

It seems that you're one of the smart ones. :lol:

I have common sense.  :lol:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Minpin

M55 Globular star cluster?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Minpin on January 24, 2008, 10:10:29 PM
I have common sense.  :lol:

Of course, with the seeming infinite amount of space that extends in any given direction, there is a slight chance that somewhere in the directino of that photo, there is another planet called, "Earth".  :mask:

Minpin

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:12:15 PM
Of course, with the seeming infinite amount of space that extends in any given direction, there is a slight chance that somewhere in the directino of that photo, there is another planet called, "Earth".  :mask:

True, but not to human knowledge...yet.

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:12:15 PM
After modifying the Drake Equation with a rough and dirty approximation of the possibility of the syllable "Earth" being used to name another planet, I must conclude that your definition of "slight chance" is "1 in 10^875349759287983273298479834789327."

Remind me never to ask you for advice on betting.

Eye of the Tiger

Ok, because the sky is so huge, and I doubt anyone knows the constellations in the southern hemisphere, I'm going to go ahead and start out with a HINT

It's in the constellation Tucana.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 24, 2008, 10:17:21 PM
After modifying the Drake Equation with a rough and dirty approximation of the possibility of the syllable "Earth" being used to name another planet, I must conclude that your definition of "slight chance" is "1 in 10^875349759287983273298479834789327."

Remind me never to ask you for advice on betting.

You forgot to multiply by infinity. :rolleyes:

Minpin

NGC 265 and NGC 290 

Eye of the Tiger

Minpin

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:19:19 PM
You forgot to multiply by infinity. :rolleyes:
Infinity, in this case, is not really infinity, because the radius of the universe is not infinite.  I used the number of galaxies in the universe multiplied by the actual percentage of the universe that is in the field of vision of .001 degree, which is the default wide-angle parameter of the Hubble Telescope.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 24, 2008, 10:29:21 PM
Infinity, in this case, is not really infinity, because the radius of the universe is not infinite.  I used the number of galaxies in the universe multiplied by the actual percentage of the universe that is in the field of vision of .001 degree, which is the default wide-angle parameter of the Hubble Telescope.

You don't know the radius of the universe!

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:33:43 PM
You don't know the radius of the universe!
You're right, but I know what it's not.

If the universe is truly infinite, then it must have always been infinite, hence no big bang, hence no beginning of time, hence God is real and you're going to hell.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 24, 2008, 10:37:35 PM
You're right, but I know what it's not.

If the universe is truly infinite, then it must have always been infinite, hence no big bang, hence no beginning of time, hence God is real and you're going to hell.

As far as I know, the big bang created the mass, not the space. How could mass create space? The big bang must have existed somewhere and inside of something - space. If the space was created with the big bang, then it is indeed finite. If that is the case, then it's ending must be the beginning of something else. What would that be? Maybe the mass in the universe is all expanding because it is is just a hollow sphere inside of a solid and infinitely dense wall of matter with infinitely strong gravitional pull. Don't they say that the expansion of the universe is accelearating? Could that be the answer to the mystery of dark matter and energy?

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:42:23 PM
As far as I know, the big bang created the mass, not the space. How could mass create space? The big bang must have existed somewhere and inside of something - space. If the space was created with the big bang, then it is indeed finite. If that is the case, then it's ending must be the beginning of something else. What would that be? Maybe the mass in the universe is all expanding because it is is just a hollow sphere inside of a solid and infinitely dense wall of matter with infinitely strong gravitional pull. Don't they say that the expansion of the universe is accelearating? Could that be the answer to the mystery of dark matter and energy?
Possibly, but that's beside the point.  The universe itself still has some radius.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 24, 2008, 10:44:50 PM
Possibly, but that's beside the point.  The universe itself still has some radius.

There is no radius if it is not sphereical. Consider the little ball of matter that started the big bang. Was it stationary? Was it spinning? How could you tell if there was no other matter for it to move relative to? When a non-spinning spinning ball of infinitely small and infinitley dense matter explodes, does it necessarily come in the shape of a sphere?

sandertheshark

Quote from: NACar on January 24, 2008, 10:50:21 PM
There is no radius if it is not sphereical. Consider the little ball of matter that started the big bang. Was it stationary? Was it spinning? How could you tell if there was no other matter for it to move relative to? When a non-spinning spinning ball of infinitely small and infinitley dense matter explodes, does it necessarily come in the shape of a sphere?
It will still be round.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sandertheshark on January 24, 2008, 10:51:37 PM
It will still be round.

Ahh, but what if there was no ball at all? Rather than a big bang, consider a "big suck"... Let's say a previous universe collapsed in upon itself to create that point of infinite matter, but by then, Jesus had escaped on a space ark full of animals. Being the only object outside of the point of matter, he is creating an imbalance in the gravitational field... and obviously, this is not going anywhere... I think it's time for bed.

Rupert