Clarkson returns his Ford GT

Started by 280Z Turbo, July 10, 2005, 02:51:20 PM

Raza

QuotePerhaps Ford thought that a Lucas-inspired alarm system would appeal to the Brits.

Raza, I think there's a difference between a lack of comfort and an alarm system that really gets in the way of enjoying the car.
An alarm system gets in the way of enjoying a 550bhp car?  That's bullshit.  I would think having a car in the garage all the time would be enough to keep you from enjoying it, but that never stopped people from enjoying them before, has it?  It's a bloody alarm system--if this were a British car, Clarkson would have said "The only tiny niggle is the alarm system".  He's a prick, plain and simple.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Would you enjoy a car whose alarm was constantly going off, and was in the shop all the time?

Raza

QuoteWould you enjoy a car whose alarm was constantly going off, and was in the shop all the time?
If it were my Volkswagen, no.  If it were a Ford GT, I'd find a way to make it through.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Even for such a great car, it sounds like just too much of a headache.  

Raza

You really think so?  For a car so fantastic, I think I'd be able to cope.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

If I had paid $200,000 for a car that I had to take in for new service three times per month, and still had an alarm that made have to drop whatever I was doing, wherever I was, to go down and turn it off, I wouldn't be enjoying it either.

Raza

Well, tell Clarkson that I'll take the headache off his hands next time.  I don't mind.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteWell, tell Clarkson that I'll take the headache off his hands next time.  I don't mind.
Me too :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Ford paid him 126,000 pounds to take the trouble off his hands. I doubt either of you planned to match that offer. ;)

BMWDave

QuoteFord paid him 126,000 pounds to take the trouble off his hands. I doubt either of you planned to match that offer. ;)
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

280Z Turbo

QuoteYou really think so?  For a car so fantastic, I think I'd be able to cope.
Well maybe you would cope but, Clarkson is a spoiled little bitch. :lol:  

Raza

126 thousand pounds of what?  ;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteYou really think so?  For a car so fantastic, I think I'd be able to cope.
Good to hear--I thought Mark and I were the only ones that despised Clarkson.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

I still find Clarkson entertaining, but everything he says is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Raza

QuoteI still find Clarkson entertaining, but everything he says is to be taken with a grain of salt.
I find it better not to listen to the twit at all.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

i can't believe he returned his GT after waiting 2 years for it because of an idiot alarm system :rolleyes:

ifcar

I usually consider his reviews merely an excuse to make lame and offensive jokes, with a few lines about a vehicle stuck in at the end. I don't disagree with him in this situation though.

Raghavan

I usually consider his reviews merely an excuse to make lame and offensive jokes, with a few lines about a vehicle stuck in at the end. I don't disagree with him in this situation though.
you don't? agreed, it's a hassle, but every car ownership has it's ups and downs.

ifcar

That's right, all ownership has its ups and downs. And if the car proves to be a lemon, the downs typically outweigh the ups, and you can get your money back, and should.

280Z Turbo

Imagine how bad the electrical issues would be 10 years down to the road. It's unacceptable for a new car.

giant_mtb

Funny...you never hear any car magazines complaining about the alarm systems on their Ford GT's.

giant_mtb

Quote126 thousand pounds of what?  ;)
That's 252,000 dollars.  B)  

ifcar

QuoteFunny...you never hear any car magazines complaining about the alarm systems on their Ford GT's.
I'm pretty sure Clarkson's system was Britain-only.

giant_mtb

QuoteFunny...you never hear any car magazines complaining about the alarm systems on their Ford GT's.
Oh.  Well...maybe Ford should put the American version on the European GT's.

ifcar

I believe his article mentioned some kind of specific regulation involved.

giant_mtb

Oh, I don't recall...and I don't want to go back and read it again.  :P  

ifcar

Neither do I, which is why I had to stick in "I believe". ;)

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

Which means it is probably a British designed and manufactured system, therefore the problems really shouldn't be that surprising ;) :lol:  

Raghavan

QuoteThat's right, all ownership has its ups and downs. And if the car proves to be a lemon, the downs typically outweigh the ups, and you can get your money back, and should.
yes, but i wouldn't calll a faulty alarm system enough to return a GT. some cheaper car, yes, but not a GT.