Are these cars good deals?

Started by TBR, July 11, 2005, 09:30:49 AM

Raghavan

QuoteSave up a little more shallom and upgrade a bit.
what he said.

TBR

QuoteMake sure the 626 has a manual transmission. The 626's automatic transmissions have a reputation for catastrophic failure.

I would look at the Accords in that price range. Generally speaking, they will probably be the most mechanically sound for a given mileage.
You apparantly haven't looked at Accords much, plus parts will be more expensive than they will be with something domestic.  

Raghavan

TBR, do you really need a car now? can't you wait, save up for something better and maybe in another 2-3 years, you can get something much, much better.

TBR

I am going to get something better in a few years, but I can't make more money if I don't have a way to get to work.  

Raghavan

QuoteI am going to get something better in a few years, but I can't make more money if I don't have a way to get to work.
you can't take a bus or something?  

R33 GT-R

Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

TBR

QuoteI am going to get something better in a few years, but I can't make more money if I don't have a way to get to work.
I live in a town of 5000, we don't have buses. And, by the time I can actually get a real job we will be 3 miles from the nearest town, too far to bike every day.  

Tom

Inexpensive, fuel efficient, and mechanically simple:

ifcar

I live in a town of 5000, we don't have buses. And, by the time I can actually get a real job we will be 3 miles from the nearest town, too far to bike every day.
You can't bike 6 miles a day?

thewizard16

Can't and "it'd suck" are often interchangeable.  :)  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

pffft... 3 miles wears you out? just get a $100 road bike that'll be good for biking. YOu can easily do 6 miles a day.  

TBR

Exactly, more time spent going to work would mean less time spent at work which would mean less money.  

ifcar

It's good excercise, and doing three miles at once takes less than half an hour. You don't need a car to go three miles.

TBR

pffft... 3 miles wears you out? just get a $100 road bike that'll be good for biking. YOu can easily do 6 miles a day.
Like I said earlier, I am perfectly capable of doing it, but that doesn't mean I want to be forced to do it day after day. You would have the same attitude if you lived somewhere where the temperature never gets under 95 during the summer. Also, what happens when it rains?  

ifcar

Exactly, more time spent going to work would mean less time spent at work which would mean less money.
Riding a bicycle instead of buying a car saves all of that and more.  

TBR

Good point, but I want a car so that is what I am going to get.  

ifcar

That's all you have to say. All power to you. :)

Raghavan

Like I said earlier, I am perfectly capable of doing it, but that doesn't mean I want to be forced to do it day after day. You would have the same attitude if you lived somewhere where the temperature never gets under 95 during the summer. Also, what happens when it rains?
I've ridden in hot weather more than 3 miles. just take a hat, some water or gatorade, and you'll be fine. besides, 3 miles should take maybe 15-20 minutes.

And you can't ride a bicycle in the rain? wear a waterproof jacket and pants, with your normal clothes underneath. just go to work and change. simple.

thewizard16

I like biking, but I wouldn't want to bike to work. Where I live, the summer temps can easily reach 105-115 on a warm day, and the humidity is killer. Even with gatorade and everything, you'd show up at work smelling funny and drenched with sweat, even after only three miles. I wouldn't want to show up to work in that condition, unless I got there early, I had a spare set of clothes, some powerful deoderant, and my employer had a shower I could use. Not likely to happen, not fun to do on a daily basis, no matter how much it'd save you, money wise.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

QuoteI like biking, but I wouldn't want to bike to work. Where I live, the summer temps can easily reach 105-115 on a warm day, and the humidity is killer. Even with gatorade and everything, you'd show up at work smelling funny and drenched with sweat, even after only three miles. I wouldn't want to show up to work in that condition, unless I got there early, I had a spare set of clothes, some powerful deoderant, and my employer had a shower I could use. Not likely to happen, not fun to do on a daily basis, no matter how much it'd save you, money wise.
depends on if TBR lives in a humid area. it'd work fine for me though. i never sweat, and it's not very humid either.

He can take a deoderant with him if he wanted to, but i dunno about the sweat thing?

Tom

Now that I work 150ft from my house, I really save on gas.  It sucks you can't find work more locally.

Raghavan

QuoteNow that I work 150ft from my house, I really save on gas.  It sucks you can't find work more locally.
do you drive 150 feet to your work?

TBR

QuoteI like biking, but I wouldn't want to bike to work. Where I live, the summer temps can easily reach 105-115 on a warm day, and the humidity is killer. Even with gatorade and everything, you'd show up at work smelling funny and drenched with sweat, even after only three miles. I wouldn't want to show up to work in that condition, unless I got there early, I had a spare set of clothes, some powerful deoderant, and my employer had a shower I could use. Not likely to happen, not fun to do on a daily basis, no matter how much it'd save you, money wise.
depends on if TBR lives in a humid area. it'd work fine for me though. i never sweat, and it's not very humid either.

He can take a deoderant with him if he wanted to, but i dunno about the sweat thing?
It is very humid here.  

Raghavan

It is very humid here.
well axe that then. you can't get your parent's to drop you off?

TBR

I probably could, but I would get griped at every time, besides the fact that the biggest expense will be the insurance, not the car and I would still have to have insurance.  

Raghavan

QuoteI probably could, but I would get griped at every time, besides the fact that the biggest expense will be the insurance, not the car and I would still have to have insurance.
you're parents gripe if they have to drop you off???

Tom

QuoteNow that I work 150ft from my house, I really save on gas.  It sucks you can't find work more locally.
:mellow:  

thewizard16

QuoteNow that I work 150ft from my house, I really save on gas.? It sucks you can't find work more locally.
I feel guilty for driving anything under 2 miles now that I've been to Europe and stayed there a while.  :(  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Raghavan

QuoteNow that I work 150ft from my house, I really save on gas.  It sucks you can't find work more locally.
i'll take that for a yes.

ifcar

I feel guilty for driving anything under 2 miles now that I've been to Europe and stayed there a while.  :(
The only time I drive that short of a distance is when it's very hot, raining/about to rain, or I'd be needing to carry too much groceries. Otherwise I walk or bicycle that far.