40-page thread about a Jetta

Started by Eye of the Tiger, February 04, 2008, 05:19:57 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on September 15, 2008, 12:20:03 PM
Well, that's lame.

Ask anyway!

I would have to have a thoroughly researched plan that includes quality aftermarket parts. This is hard to do on a competely custom project that may require fabrication.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

The exhaust aft of the rear axle is pinched off. Power disappers after 4,000 rpm.  I must fix this immediately.

On multiple occasions, I have heard people around here say "OMFG, it's illegal to have your tailpipe in front of the rear wheels". This includes both of the guys who previously instsalled the Jetta's exhaust, and some douchebags in my shop class.

Here is the rule, straight out of the Maine State Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual:

Reject vehicle if the exhaust system or a modified exhaust
system does not discharge completely to the side or rear of
the enclosed passenger portion of the body of the vehicle.

I WIN, ASSHOLES!!!!!!!! As long as it's completely to the SIDE, it doesn't fucking matter where the wheel is. Idiots. I will be informing my shop teachers that I am putting a side-exit exhaust on the Jetta.

Eye of the Tiger

The following text only applies to "CUSTOM VEHCILES AND STREET RODS"

Exhaust systems shall discharge exhaust fumes at a location
to the rear of the vehicle body or direct the exhaust fumes
outward from the side of the vehicle body at a location
rearward of any operable side windows.

But if they try to pull that on me, I will just inform them that both of my rear power windows have been permanently disabled (this is true). Plus, I'm pretty sure that I can put a pipe directly in front of a rear wheel, and it will actually be just behind the power windows.

Eye of the Tiger

IrishGuy

Not quite sure your argument would fly with the SLR as it is a stock system where yours will be modified.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: IrishGuy on September 15, 2008, 08:13:50 PM
Not quite sure your argument would fly with the SLR as it is a stock system where yours will be modified.

What's the difference?

IrishGuy

Quote from: NACar on September 15, 2008, 08:18:19 PM
What's the difference?

In that case, the answer to the following question might clarify all of this:

By "side...of the enclosed passenger...", do they mean to the right or left of the passenger cabin, or do they mean the actual side of the vehicle?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: IrishGuy on September 15, 2008, 08:22:32 PM
In that case, the answer to the following question might clarify all of this:

By "side...of the enclosed passenger...", do they mean to the right or left of the passenger cabin, or do they mean the actual side of the vehicle?

side or rear of the enclosed passenger portion, to me, means anywhere but the front or underside.

Laconian

You just need to apply every badge for every car ever made to the back of your Jetta.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 17, 2008, 10:51:36 AM
You just need to apply every badge for every car ever made to the back of your Jetta.

Ok, as long as I don't have to put any gh3y Miata badges on.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm really getting into on the MaineWV forum with a guy who claims that side exit exhaust is illegal, and he knows better because he has an inspection license. He also quoted the same text, that it must "exit completely to the side or rear of the enclosed passenger....", yet somehow he interprets that as meaning side exit is illegal. I rarely hesitate to question myself because I'm pretty open minded, but I hate it when people that I know are idiots make me do it.

I drew a picture to straighten things out

Laconian

:clap: You need to find a way of integrating that picture into one of your homework assignments.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on September 17, 2008, 04:35:04 PM
:clap: You need to find a way of integrating that picture into one of your homework assignments.

I might have to bring it in to my shop teacher to illustrate my point.

On the VW forum, there are now three people who think I'm completely wrong. 3-1, but I'm still winning, because I'm right. :lol:

IrishGuy

Cookie Monster

Wait, does that mean you can have the exhaust pipe end right at the rear axle because that's still behind the enclosed cabin space?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on September 17, 2008, 04:05:26 PM
I'm really getting into on the MaineWV forum with a guy who claims that side exit exhaust is illegal, and he knows better because he has an inspection license. He also quoted the same text, that it must "exit completely to the side or rear of the enclosed passenger....", yet somehow he interprets that as meaning side exit is illegal. I rarely hesitate to question myself because I'm pretty open minded, but I hate it when people that I know are idiots make me do it.

I drew a picture to straighten things out

In front of the rear wheel is NOT behind the passenger compartment.

You should put a removable block off plate on that side exhaust.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 18, 2008, 12:48:26 PM
In front of the rear wheel is NOT behind the passenger compartment.

You should put a removable block off plate on that side exhaust.

THis is the same argument I had with the VW douches. That manual states "COMPLETELY TO THE SIDE OR REAR OF THE ENCLOSED PASSENGER PORTION". Side or rear. Side or rear. You are the seventh person to tell me I'm wrong, and I still don't see it.

3.0L V6

Since Dodge does the same thing with the Viper, I think it should be ok for your car. *shrug*

This is the second time you've had fun with the Maine DMV, right? You need a state that doesn't particularly care about what kind of shape your car is in.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on September 18, 2008, 06:55:49 PM
Since Dodge does the same thing with the Viper, I think it should be ok for your car. *shrug*

This is the second time you've had fun with the Maine DMV, right? You need a state that doesn't particularly care about what kind of shape your car is in.

I thought he was moving to Michigan to go to ferris anyways, wasn't he?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 18, 2008, 07:17:52 PM
I thought he was moving to Michigan to go to ferris anyways, wasn't he?

Affirmative.

Anyway, one of my instructors told me there was "no educational value" in bending a new exhaust pipe, therefore I was not allowed to do the work at school. So I just paid a muffler shop $20 to fix what I had, and it's back to normal now.  jeezus fucking christ

Eye of the Tiger

The Jetta is failing at life. If the air is moist, it misfires like crazy. Since the wires and cap are new, I'd say it's the coil. Ok. But then the 2-foot long breather hose just crumbled apart. Replacement is a speical part about $30... screw that, I degreased the whole thing and wrapped it in excessive amounts of duct tape. Aside from that, I'm looking at $600 $770 in other new parts just to maintain this heap. I'm not too crazy about that. If fact, I could buy a parts car for less than that, but I have nowhere to put it. I just need a Saturn L300.

The Pirate

Why a Saturn L300.  Surely there are better heaps to be found.  And do you want to buy a Proteg??  Five thou plus the price of a plane ticket to Georgia.  And I'll even throw in the sweet chrome exhaust tip and the wheel locks.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on September 29, 2008, 06:26:14 PM
Why a Saturn L300.  Surely there are better heaps to be found.  And do you want to buy a Proteg??  Five thou plus the price of a plane ticket to Georgia.  And I'll even throw in the sweet chrome exhaust tip and the wheel locks.

Just because I think the engine is pretty, and maybe I could put a turbo on it.  :lol:

I have no money for a Protege, and if I did have money, I'd get a Saab 900 turbo or a Taurus. I'll probably just keep dumping money into the lost cause Jetta.  :cry:

the Teuton

Isn't that the same V6 from the Saab 9-3 and the Catera?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 29, 2008, 07:07:59 PM
Isn't that the same V6 from the Saab 9-3 and the Catera?

yes... or is it the 9-5? i forget. whatever. it has pretty manifolds

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on September 29, 2008, 07:14:15 PM
yes... or is it the 9-5? i forget. whatever. it has pretty manifolds

9-5, you're right. 

It could probably take a few accessories from the Garrett catalog.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on September 29, 2008, 07:16:28 PM
9-5, you're right. 

It could probably take a few accessories from the Garrett catalog.

yea, the 9-5 one has a turbo, right?