VW Routan is...uh...revealed

Started by CJ, February 05, 2008, 07:58:03 PM

CJ

QuoteEnter the 2009 VW Routan, a seven-passenger minivan that looks like, well, just another minivan. Especially a Chrysler minivan, despite VW's press puffery about how the vehicle features "European sensibilities in design, fit and finish and handling characteristics."

Aside from the VW grille and badging, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the Routan apart from its American cousins from most angles, inside or out.

Under the hood is a familiar Chrysler 3.8-liter V6, rated at 197 horsepower and 230 pound-feet of torque. A 251-hp 4.0-liter is optional.

Among the features are a rear-seat entertainment system, dual power-sliding doors with power windows, touchscreen navigation, power liftgate and ? in a definite departure from the European ? 13 cupholders.

Further underscoring its European heritage, the Routan will be built in Windsor, Ontario. Prices will start at less than $25,000.

What this means to you: A Routan by any other name still looks like a Chrysler minivan. ? Paul Lienert, Correspondent

Damnit, VW, you screwed this one up.

2o6

ifcar

I think they did an excellent job on the exterior, and if they improved the interior quality (they could have, they gave it a decently thorough restyle) this thing has good potential.

sandertheshark

2o6

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 05, 2008, 08:04:25 PM
I hurt my jaw yawning so hard.

What is it supposed to be? It's a minivan. It's great.

CALL_911

Routan. Sounds like Pasta. Looks good for a minivan, but the interior is blah.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mak450

I don't think the taillights go very well with the rest of the rear, but other than that its not bad.

MaxPower

QuoteAside from the VW grille and badging, you'd be hard-pressed to tell the Routan apart from its American cousins from most angles, inside or out.

They aren't kidding, and I don't think that's a good thing.  Why does VW need to do this to itself?  Was the Eurovan too small or something?  Forget about it...I just saw that other thread.

ifcar

Quote from: Mak450 on February 05, 2008, 08:08:16 PM
I don't think the taillights go very well with the rest of the rear, but other than that its not bad.

My biggest complaint about the other Chrysler vans is the expanse of sheetmetal in the back. They're very wide vans, and having a horizontally oriented taillight seems to help disguise that.

ifcar

Quote from: MaxPower on February 05, 2008, 08:09:43 PM
They aren't kidding, and I don't think that's a good thing.  Why does VW need to do this to itself?  Was the Eurovan too small or something?

I didn't see where they were coming from myself. It looks to me like they changed the front and rear ends, plus the roofline. If no one had told them it was based on the Chryslers, I don't think anyone would know until they were inside.

The Eurovan was a converted delivery van, like the Chevrolet Astro but more expensive. This makes more sense.

MaxPower

Quote from: ifcar on February 05, 2008, 08:12:27 PM
I didn't see where they were coming from myself. It looks to me like they changed the front and rear ends, plus the roofline. If no one had told them it was based on the Chryslers, I don't think anyone would know until they were inside.

The Eurovan was a converted delivery van, like the Chevrolet Astro but more expensive. This makes more sense.

Well, for me at first glance I saw the squared off rear in the first picture and immediately thought new Caravan...but, as I do let the pics soak in they have changed it significantly enough that the other pictures don't look so similar.  The headlights and taillights are certainly an improvement, that's for sure.

Cookie Monster

It's OK... I like the rear, but the front is blah.
The interior is OK, better than the Chrysler vans but the navigation screen is small and it looks odd.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

nickdrinkwater

Looks good.  I deisagree with the artice, they differentiated it quite well.

Mak450

Quote from: ifcar on February 05, 2008, 08:10:29 PM
My biggest complaint about the other Chrysler vans is the expanse of sheetmetal in the back. They're very wide vans, and having a horizontally oriented taillight seems to help disguise that.

I see what you mean, I've never actually looked at the Caravan from the rear till you mentioned it.

Payman

They should have put a VR6 in it.  :nono:

the Teuton

Quote from: Payman on February 06, 2008, 09:03:44 AM
They should have put a VR6 in it.  :nono:

I was kinda hoping for VW engines, too.  It looks decent, though, and it's relatively cheap for a VW.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

Quote from: Payman on February 06, 2008, 09:12:45 AM
Quad turbo W16.

Oh, I forgot, that is in VW's inventory isn't it?  I would buy that.

If it could be sold for 25k :lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Payman

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 06, 2008, 09:28:20 AM
Oh, I forgot, that is in VW's inventory isn't it?  I would buy that.

If it could be sold for 25k :lol:

You probably couldn't buy the gaskets for that engine for $25K.

the Teuton

This minivan really isn't that bad for a VW.  The interior doesn't look like their usual snuff, but it looks much better than the Chrysler alternatives. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

They couldn't have used the Sharan?

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 06, 2008, 01:57:56 PM
They couldn't have used the Sharan?

You are kidding, ja?

While it does look better, it's still too small to be competitive here.  Also, since it's made in Europe, it would be too expensive, too.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2008, 02:00:23 PM
You are kidding, ja?

While it does look better, it's still too small to be competitive here.  Also, since it's made in Europe, it would be too expensive, too.

That pic is not real....

Also, the Sharan is shared with the Ford Galaxy. The Sharan is 182" in length, only four inches shorter than a SWB Caravan. (Previous Gen)

2o6

The New Ford Galaxy, is 190", just 10" shorter than the Toyota Sienna.

ifcar

You wouldn't call that significant? Do you not know what ten inches represents in auto size? A Passat isn't ten inches longer than a Jetta.

TheIntrepid

Now will this be as overpriced as most of the other "People's Cars" on the market?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

S204STi

I didn't even know this was the Chrysler-clone till I read about it in this thread.  Shows, to me, how well they differentiated the styling inside and out.

Too bad they have the same crap drivetrain.

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

The VW's interior does look better than the Honda's.  I will say that.