So I testdrove a...

Started by TBR, February 06, 2008, 07:19:05 PM

TBR

...2003 Mazda Protege5. 5MT, light blue, 99,000 miles for $6500 (terrific deal). It was loaded with 6 disc changer, leather, and the sunroof. I originally scheduled the testd rive for Tuesday, but the owner canceled because "it is supposed to storm." (6 hours later it rained for 15 minutes) I didn't drive it very long, but my impressions were pretty positive. It was similar in road noise to the Prelude, which isn't too good (of course I won't know for sure until I get it on my least favorite stretch of rough pavement). The ride was firm. The shifter was excellent, the clutch was easy to operate (I was much smoother in it than I normally am in the Prelude). I had the 38 year old current owner, a woman, in the passenger seat so I didn't flog it. But, the 2.0l sounded nice and it stayed relatively flat when going around a u-turn lane. The driving position was comfortable.

The car is in good shape, but there was a significant gouge in the back bumper. That said, the leather looks brand new and all of the power features worked with much more promptness than I am accustomed to ('90s Honda power window motors FTL). The back had some room (much more so than the Prelude, obviously) and I was very impressed with the size of the cargo hold.

My parents are thinking about it...but I have the money and I potentially already have a buyer lined up for the Prelude (and he didn't balk at $3500, Teuton).

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

If you can sell your Prelude for $3,500, I would be impressed.  The Mazda sounds like a good car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cookie Monster

Sounds awesome. I think that's the color MrH wanted too!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

TheIntrepid

Quote from: thecarnut on February 06, 2008, 07:22:14 PM
Sounds awesome. I think that's the color MrH wanted too!

yeah and it has leather, too! Mike's going to have a boner.

Seriously, I despise the Proteg? but the Proteg?5 is a very nice, sharp little car..

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I am waiting on my parents to decide, don't want to get on their bad side when I am looking at $45k/year in college expenses for the next 4 years.

I don't particularly like the color, I'd prefer black or the darker blue. But, this is available.

Secret Chimp

How is it with hitting curbs? Feel solid?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

The Pirate

Hehehe, you made note of the feel of the clutch and shifter.  I think those are the weak points in this car.  Other than that, it's a blast, and I do like mine.  I don't know about your Honda, but mine had an amazingly tight turning radius.  In comparison, the turning radius in the Protege[5] is rather underwhelming.  Not trying to sway you, but that's something to consider. 

All in all, they are well-built, tough little cars.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

You want $3500 for your Prelude???

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on February 07, 2008, 07:06:36 AM
You want $3500 for your Prelude???

Sucker born every minute, they say.  If he can get it, good for him.  I wouldn't touch a car with 300k+ miles unless it was something very special.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

The engine has 100,000 miles on it, in theory the odometer could also read 100,000 but the previous owner never had it turned back.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on February 07, 2008, 08:31:17 AM
The engine has 100,000 miles on it, in theory the odometer could also read 100,000 but the previous owner never had it turned back.

And engine isn't worth much if the rest of the car falls apart.  Seriously though, best of luck to you.  You're not trying to sell it me, which is good for you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I am just trying to explain that, if the odometer had been reset, I could ethically and legally sell it as a car with 100k on it. Quite simply the engine is the "wear" component that lasts the longest. Any car with 300k+ on it has already has the brakes and suspension stuff replaced at least once. The other stuff might need some grease on occasion, but other than that it is fine.

Edit- To clarify, the engine is the only mileage dependent component that is expensive (next up would be the clutch, a $500-600 fix).

TBR

I don't think I am going to buy it. My dad told me I could, but with strong disencouragement (guilt parenting at its best). I guess I'll just sink $200-300 into the Prelude.

I do have an option for the Outback ('04 Wagon 5MT, for those of you that don't know) if the Prelude starts having major problems.

ifcar

A better option I think would be to get the $3500 for the Prelude now while you still can, then buy a car you can afford with your own money.

TBR

I have over $10,000 in the bank, it isn't a question of whether or not I can afford it. It is a question of whether or not I should choose to afford it.

ifcar

Then where do your parents come into it?

TBR

Because I am eighteen years old and I am looking at a University that costs $45k/year.

TheIntrepid

Tim, before you start shopping around for cars like you have been in the last little while, maybe you should sit down and make a list of pros and cons (maybe with your parents) and decide whether or not it's a logical thing to do. Decide whether or not a new car is a good idea before you start looking for them, because believe it or not, you will find the perfect car and then it will piss you off when you can't buy it.

SVT666

Make do with what you got until you are out of school.  Then you can buy a better car.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 08, 2008, 11:12:15 AM
Tim, before you start shopping around for cars like you have been in the last little while, maybe you should sit down and make a list of pros and cons (maybe with your parents) and decide whether or not it's a logical thing to do. Decide whether or not a new car is a good idea before you start looking for them, because believe it or not, you will find the perfect car and then it will piss you off when you can't buy it.

It makes more sense to have a Protege5 than a Prelude through college. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2008, 02:25:30 PM
It makes more sense to have a Protege5 than a Prelude through college. 

As a car, yes. Financially, it's only him and his parents who can decide if it's a good idea or not.

The Pirate

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 08, 2008, 02:26:58 PM
As a car, yes. Financially, it's only him and his parents who can decide if it's a good idea or not.

Shut up, foo'.  It's always a good idea to buy a Proteg

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: TheIntrepid on February 08, 2008, 02:26:58 PM

He essentially spends $3000 to get a newer car with fewer miles that is more practical (and perhaps cheaper to insure) than his current car, without an appreciable loss of performance (or possibly even a gain).  He has $10,000 in the bank. 

Seems like a no-brainer.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13275.msg735625#msg735625 date=1202528643
He essentially spends $3000 to get a newer car with fewer miles that is more practical (and perhaps cheaper to insure) than his current car, without an appreciable loss of performance (or possibly even a gain).  He has $10,000 in the bank. 

Seems like a no-brainer.

I'd hold out. You say the Prelude is in good mechanical standing, finish HS, then buy something newer, and more sound.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2008, 08:44:03 PM

Seems like a no-brainer.

Proteg? ain't exactly a cheap car to insure.  For insurance purposes, the ES and P5 are classified in the sporty car realm.  I was a bit surprised when my bill came in.  I agree with everything else in your post though.  It'd be a much more useful car for an out of state college student, and should be cheaper to maintain than the Prelude at this point.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on February 08, 2008, 09:24:17 PM

Proteg? ain't exactly a cheap car to insure.  For insurance purposes, the ES and P5 are classified in the sporty car realm.  I was a bit surprised when my bill came in.  I agree with everything else in your post though.  It'd be a much more useful car for an out of state college student, and should be cheaper to maintain than the Prelude at this point.

My Passat is a larger car, but still a sedan.  I've used every available inch of space in that car.  Timmo's going to use that extra room.  I've moved in and out of apartments more than I care to count.  I'd have loved a Passat wagon.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2008, 09:27:39 PM
My Passat is a larger car, but still a sedan.  I've used every available inch of space in that car.  Timmo's going to use that extra room.  I've moved in and out of apartments more than I care to count.  I'd have loved a Passat wagon.

Oh, I'm not arguing the practicality at all.  I'm in full agreement there.  In fact, I myself could really use a larger car right now.