Coupe vs Sedan

Started by 565, February 06, 2008, 07:59:25 PM

When you have a choice of 2 or 4 doors which do you pick?

12 (46.2%)

14 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on February 06, 2008, 09:33:02 PM

Availability and price play a large role in car shopping, especially when you have a family, a full time job, a house, etc.

True.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TheIntrepid

Anyway, sedan for me. I like the practicality.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

omicron

The most glorious body style of all is the two-door pillarless hardtop, although the four-door pillarless hardtop is close behind.

JYODER240

Coupe, I won't be crawling in the back seat of my own car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ChrisV

When there's a choice in a bodystyle, then sedans are what dad drives because he has to. ;) I wish the E38 had been available as a 2 door...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Oh my goodness, Mr. V - that's achingly handsome.

J86

Sedan over coupe, but wagon over both!

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on February 07, 2008, 05:34:52 AM
When there's a choice in a bodystyle, then sedans are what dad drives because he has to. ;) I wish the E38 had been available as a 2 door...

See, now that's a case of the coupe looking so much better that, to me, it's worth the drop in practicality.  But then again, I've always had a soft spot for large luxury coupes.  When it comes to smaller cars, coupes just don't have an advantage for me over the sedan.  I've already made a compromise by opting for something with a roof, so why pay more to make a practical decision less practical?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Most of my life the coupe was the sportier bodystyle, from the '50s to the '70s. Big or small.

The sedan was the boring version of the car.

Given the choice, the 2 door was always more desirable than the 4 door, especially for young guys looking to build hot rods and customs. That's the reason musclecars were primarily the 2 door variations. Practicality was for boring old men and women. Practicality did not equal pasion and desire. Practicality was for appliances.

That's why my project car, and the cars I lust after, are 2 doors, and the DD is a 4 door, but it's not a car I lust after. It's simply the best of a bad situation. Given the choice as a car for ME, it will always be a 2 door.

Raza

I think we're on the same page.  Although, for a car that is strictly fun, I wouldn't choose something that didn't have a roof that magically disappears. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2008, 08:25:55 AM
I think we're on the same page.  Although, for a car that is strictly fun, I wouldn't choose something that didn't have a roof that magically disappears. 

Which is why my project car is a 2 door convertible. ;)

So given the choice within a bodystyle, it's convertible > 2 door coupe > 4 door sedan.

My favorite car is the 250 GT Berlinetta Lusso. I wish it was available as a convertible. That would be ideal as a dream car.

omicron

That '62 Impala four-door pillarless hardtop is just beautiful, Mr. V.

Byteme

I didn't vote becasue it depends on the vehicle. 

Four doors are soooo practical and most manufacturers make their foor door sedans look pretty attractive.Used to be manufacturers offered six or seven body styles:

2 door sedan.  two doors and a "B" pillar between the front and rear side glass.

4 door sedan.  Four doors with a "B" pillar between the front and rear doors and side glass.

2 door hardtop No "B" pillar.  The sealing surface between the front and rear side windows was attached to the front edge of the rear side window.

4 door hardtop.  Same as 2 door hardtop but 4 doors.

4 Door wagon.

Sometimes 2 door wagon.
No full size two door made by Chevy in 63

Convertible.

I really like the look of a two door hardtop.  Unfortunately I don't think anybody is making them today.

Raza

Wouldn't the CLK be a 2 door hardtop, considering it's pillarless?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2008, 11:06:08 AM
Wouldn't the CLK be a 2 door hardtop, considering it's pillarless?

One could probably make an argument for either a hardtop or a coup?.

Just to confuse things, of course, you can have a two-door sedan, two-door pillared hardtop, two-door pillarless hardtop, two-door pillared coup?, two-door pillarless coup?.....plus any number of combinations of fastback, liftback, notchback, landau......

The distinction between a two-door hardtop and a two-door coup? is much harder to make these days, what with all these curved convertible roofs and such. Back in the good old days it was much easier. Sigh.

Vinsanity

Am I the only one who likes the 3-series coupe more than the sedan?

I'd take a coupe if I liked the styling enough to pay the extra money, or if it didn't cost that much more in the first place. But since coupes hold their value better on the used car market, I'm more likely to end up with a sedan.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 07, 2008, 12:14:32 PM

I'd take a coupe if I liked the styling enough to pay the extra money, or if it didn't cost that much more in the first place. But since coupes hold their value better on the used car market, I'm more likely to end up with a sedan.

No, I don't think you are. 

And don't take this as me being one of you freaks.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2008, 12:15:46 PM
No, I don't think you are. 

And don't take this as me being one of you freaks.

You're the freak. Freak.

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 07, 2008, 12:14:32 PM

No, you're not. I prefer the new coupe, too. LOVE the proportions. To me the sedan is a BMW Corolla.

I wish the 8 series BMW had been in my price range when buying the E38. ;)

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on February 07, 2008, 12:26:26 PM
No, you're not. I prefer the new coupe, too. LOVE the proportions. To me the sedan is a BMW Corolla.

I wish the 8 series BMW had been in my price range when buying the E38. ;)

The coupe looks like a BMW Solara!

(If we're sticking to a theme.)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2008, 12:30:25 PM
The coupe looks like a BMW Solara!

(If we're sticking to a theme.)

And I prefer the Solara to the Corolla. ;) But, the rear of the BMW is cut back, not rounded off like the Solara.

I like the taut sweep of the BMW.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on February 07, 2008, 12:26:26 PM

Thank you! IIRC, the E90 came out the same year as the current Jetta, and at the time, it took me a while to tell which one was which from a distance at night. So to me, they're the BMW Jetta.

Raza

I don't like how the rear third of the car looks like it's 500 feet long.  It looks out of place on what is already not a special looking car. 

It just seems like there's too much car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 07, 2008, 12:43:08 PM
Thank you! IIRC, the E90 came out the same year as the current Jetta, and at the time, it took me a while to tell which one was which from a distance at night. So to me, they're the BMW Jetta.

The Jetta's the one that looks better.

:evildude:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2008, 12:44:53 PM
I don't like how the rear third of the car looks like it's 500 feet long.  It looks out of place on what is already not a special looking car. 

It just seems like there's too much car.

The rear third looks like a coupe.. Especially a fastback. It's shorter than that fastback '65 Mustang you like... ;)

And certainly shorter and stubbier than my Torino GT was:

Raza

Well, the answer to that is that the Torino is also ugly.

:lol:

It's not the overhang or anything like that, though from some angles it can look like it goes on forever.  It's the visual perception (I look at it and all I see is an asshole....ha, ha, just kidding).  I mean, take the C5 Corvette as an example.  The "coupe" model looked great, but I was never a fan of the "hardtop" (or Z06) model's looks because there was too much car aft of the cabin. 

With this one, I just can't put my finger on it, but I just hate it.  But then again, I've never been a big fan of 3 series coupes, really, other than the E30.  I mean, I love the 1 series coupe.

Maybe it's the roofline.  I don't know. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on February 07, 2008, 01:00:02 PM
Well, the answer to that is that the Torino is also ugly.

:lol:

hey, now!  :rage:

With this one, I just can't put my finger on it, but I just hate it.  But then again, I've never been a big fan of 3 series coupes, really, other than the E30.  I mean, I love the 1 series coupe.

Maybe it's the roofline.  I don't know. 

Fair enough. To me, it's the epitome of a modern coupe. The roofline sweeps properly to just behind the rear wheel, with just enough trunk to make it a 3 box instead of a pure fastback (like the '65 Mustang did. Hmmm.). It's cab forward, with a proportional nose length to decklid length. And it follows in the history of multiple marques designs. It's not that far off of the proportions of the ps'd E38 I posted, just smaller and more swept.

CALL_911

Quote from: ChrisV on February 07, 2008, 05:34:52 AM

That's exactly my uncle's car (4-door, of course).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

When I was about 12-years-old, I hated anything with more than two doors. I also hated automatics, FWD, 4WD, AWD, tailpipes that were on the left side, instruments that weren't round, large steering wheel centers, low profile tires, all hubcaps, even numbers of lug nuts, light-bar grills on Mercurys, locking gas caps, tailight bars on Buicks, short shifters, anything that revved over 5,000rpm, Nissan, Toyota Celicas, orange interior lights, cloth upholstry, engines with Vee configurations, and hatchbacks.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

I really wish the E92 had the same rear as the E90... That would've looked awesome.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R