AB: BMW M3 Sedan vs Lexus IS-F vs Mercedes C63 AMG

Started by cawimmer430, February 08, 2008, 08:26:40 AM

cawimmer430

Autobild had a little go at these three performance machines in Spain and compared them. It's pretty lame that they didn't pick a winner or tested them properly but in the end they said the usual public relations stunt by claiming they're all impressive and they're all fun to drive. Either way this is probably better than anything else currently out in the automotive world (a somewhat direct comparison) even though they didn't talk much about the IS-F and C63 AMG but focused more on the M3 (weird...). The Fazit (overall) is also extremely lame where the tester talks about the top speed of the IS-F and how this means the Lexus doesn't have to fear the Germans anymore. He seems to forget that AMG in particular has two speed limiters. One limiter limits the car to a top speed of 250 km/h because of the gentlemans agreement. The other limiter limits the car to 280 km/h because of the tires. Overall, this review is pretty boring and lame but I translated the important stuff anyway.  :tounge:

Both BMW and Mercedes aim to dress up their cars with the premium look while making them appear mildly aggressive. Despite this the C63 AMG grabs the most attention because of its brutal AMG styling and looses the elegance typically associated with the current W204 C-Class. The BMW M3 and Lexus IS-F on the other hand are more conservatively dressed up.

The Lexus is the best equipped of the trio. The price starts at 69,000 Euros and there are few extras that one can buy since so many things are already standard. Interestingly enough both Germans are cheaper with the M3 and C63 AMG costing 64,750 and 67,830 Euros respectively. Both Germans are reasonably well equipped with useful features. Anything else can be ordered but at an extra cost.

The Lexus IS-F was the first car to be tested. The engine is a modified LS600h V8 and the 423-horsepower start with an aggressive growl. It is also mated to an 8-speed automatic. The car is also loaded with electronics and electronic nannies. On the racetrack the IS-F displays good handling qualities and brutal acceleration. The ESP systems intervene when things get dangerous - and this something that can happen to amateurs behind the wheel of the IS-F with the ESP turned off. The rear wheelspin is excessive in corners where the gas is applied. Hence it is recommended to drive with the ESP on active as it reacts quickly and allows light drifts without much danger.

Next up was the Mercedes C63 AMG. With 457-horsepower and a torquey 6.3-l V8, the testers expected this car to be extremely brutal in the performance aspect. It was. Put the C63 AMG next to the IS-F and the IS-F engine sounds tame compared to the rough snarl of the C63 AMG which one tester described as "the apocalypse". Never before did a C-Class from AMG for the street feel a German Touring Car racecar, and never before was a C-Class this uncomfortable. It was one of the easiest to control cars in this test and its handling on the track was impressive considering its weight.

The last car to be driven was from Bavaria, the M3. Having come out of the C63 AMG, the testers felt that the M3 was more comfortable than the Mercedes. The testers felt that the M3, despite the "small 4.0-l V8", was a practical everyday family car with a good balance of qualities. It's fast, it handles but the engine sounds timid compared to the Lexus and Mercedes in neutral. An unfair assumption because when the M3 was driven on the track, the engine awoke. The Bavarian V8 is rev-happy (all the way to 8,400 RPM) and the midrange performance of the 420-hp V8 is eager. The M3 is a car waiting to attack anything that challenges it, as one tester noted. On a curvy track the M3 is in its element. The steering is precise but controlling the M3 correctly on the race track is something best left up to the professionals.

Overall: With the IS-F, Lexus doesn't have to fear BMW or Mercedes anymore. With a top speed of 270 km/h, the Lexus is also faster than the electronically limited M3 and C63 AMG, which both only do 280 km/h with the limiter removed. A professional test with real numers wasn't possible because other magazines were waiting to drive the cars after us in Spain. The facts however are: the Mercedes is brutal, the BMW feisty and the Lexus is lusty.

The Scans
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sandertheshark

I have never ever heard a Lexus associated with the adjective "Lusty."  Even in German.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 08, 2008, 05:24:07 PM
I have never ever heard a Lexus associated with the adjective "Lusty."  Even in German.

They said lustvoll in German which means "desire / desireful". Lusty seemed appropriate.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CALL_911

I'm going to be honest. Although I don't love the IS-F, and I think it looks like shit, they really did a great job on it, if the magazines aren't bluffing. It seems to be a worthy competitor to the C63 and the M3.

That said, M3 for me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

nickdrinkwater

Wouldn't mind any of them!

Though I'd probably have the C63 just to be as obnoxious as possible...

FlatBlackCaddy

In a few generations lexus could have one hell of a car.