I would never buy a Nissan GT-R!

Started by the Teuton, February 08, 2008, 10:58:44 AM

the Teuton

Even if I had the money, it would be a ridiculous car to buy.  Read this!

http://www.autoblog.com/category/nissan/

Another rumor that began circulating after the Tokyo Auto Salon has also been confirmed: aftermarket wheels are out. Supposedly, all the GT-Rs on display at TAS had to be driven in on the stock rollers, jacked up and then fitted with the tuner's chosen wheels. Due to a sensor mounted on the valve stem, if the GT-R is driven with aftermarket rims, an error code is thrown on the dash. And although MINE'S has fitted a custom exhaust to their shop car, they've found that any modification to the intake system causes the ECU to go haywire.

They also have a GPS-based speed limiter, among other things.  This car has so many electronic nannies that it makes me wonder if it's really worth it to buy one over a Corvette.  Add to the fact that this car is auto-only (yes, it's an automatic if it only has 2 pedals) and I think I would rather pass on this in favor of importing an older, more tunable GT-R or a Porsche.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Pancor

QuoteDue to a sensor mounted on the valve stem, if the GT-R is driven with aftermarket rims, an error code is thrown on the dash.

This is true for many cars, even the lowly Cobalt.  The tire pressure monitoring system communicates with the ECU though radio signals.  If the car does not sense all the sensors, it'll flash a light.  To fix this, you either go to your dealer and buy four more sensors, and install them on your aftermarkets wheels, or put a piece of tape over the light. 

the Teuton

You don't find it ridiculous that a simple exhaust system will screw up the whole car, much less some lighter aftermarket wheels?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 12:31:10 PM
You don't find it ridiculous that a simple exhaust system will screw up the whole car, much less some lighter aftermarket wheels?

Don't quote me on this.....but Early LX cars would forget that aftermarket parts were there when the car was shut off. Then the computer (Factory) was coted in goo.

Pancor

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 12:31:10 PM

The wheels don't screw up the car!  It simply can't find the TPM sensors so it throws a light to let you know.   As for the exhaust, a computer program should be able to compensate for just about any engine mod within reason before a standalone is needed. 

MX793

Nissan bragged that they had built the ECU in such a way that the car would be next to tamper proof (read:  untuneable).  No surprise even a catback exhaust would screw things up. 

I think the wheel thing is more of a TPMS thing rather than Nissan trying to force people to stick with the stock wheels.  Any car with TPMS sensors in the rims will throw an error/warning if you swap the rims for aftermarket ones that do not have the sensors, and I'm not aware of many, if any, light-weight aftermarket wheels that have TPMS sensors on them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

JYODER240

I have TPMS on my summer wheels and it doesn't throw a light if I use my winter wheels.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

MX793

Oh, and the GPS-based speed limiter won't be included on US market GT-Rs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on February 08, 2008, 04:47:53 PM

That is the worst invention, ever.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on February 08, 2008, 04:47:53 PM
Thats good. On Japanese models (bad enough they're governed to 111mph)  after the GPS notices that you've left the track a $1000 dealer service is required immediatly. Skip it and you warranty is voided!  :nutty: W.T.F!! Gimmie a Z06/ZR1.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

MX793

Quote from: NACar on February 08, 2008, 04:50:15 PM
That is the worst invention, ever.

I have to wonder if it's not related to the recent abandonment of the Gentlemen's Agreement.  This GT-R will be the first seriously silly-fast production car since the Agreement was disolved and I don't think the culture there is any less cautious about speed than they were when the automakers, and I presume the government, decided it would be in the best interest of the citizenry to keep a cap on power and performance.
Needs more Jiggawatts

sandertheshark

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on February 08, 2008, 05:26:01 PM
Thats good. On Japanese models (bad enough they're governed to 111mph)  after the GPS notices that you've left the track a $1000 dealer service is required immediatly. Skip it and you warranty is voided!  :nutty: W.T.F!! Gimmie a Z06/ZR1.
:hesaid:

the Teuton

If you can't drive a high-power sports car like you're trying to destroy it without paying $1,000 at a clip to have it serviced and the computer reset, then what's the point of driving it fast?  It's a luxury car that can go fast.  You can abuse a Vette for days on end, and most-likely you will not have such warranty issues.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 05:55:15 PM
If you can't drive a high-power sports car like you're trying to destroy it without paying $1,000 at a clip to have it serviced and the computer reset, then what's the point of driving it fast?  It's a luxury car that can go fast.  You can abuse a Vette for days on end, and most-likely you will not have such warranty issues.

You don't drive it fast on public roads.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2008, 05:57:49 PM

:orly:

One of my friends said that the kid who stole his dad's M5 was drunk and reckless.  If you're aware of where you are and what you are doing, you can do anything.  I don't condone it, though.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2008, 05:57:49 PM

You can still kill yourself at 111mph. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Mines needs to mess with this ECU quickly.

When they, HKS, or some other company creates a tunable ECU, they will sell like wildfire...until someone realizes that the car can no longer take 800 hp like the old RB engine.  Why else would they make the computer so complicated?  They hit the peak performance of this car.  I bet it will destroy the engine with much more boost.

sandertheshark

the Teuton

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 08, 2008, 06:06:38 PM
I do...

You rebel, you.

Hell, I've even taken little wheezer up to 90 mph on public roads...with a 25 mph speed limit.   :mask:

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 06:13:10 PM
You rebel, you.

Hell, I've even taken little wheezer up to 90 mph on public roads...with a 25 mph speed limit.   :mask:

What if a small child were to jump out in front?

----------------

Driving it fast is how morons wreck these cars.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 06:13:10 PM
You rebel, you.

:hammerhead:

Your parents should be castrated and hanged for giving you such a fast car.  How can two people be so irresponsible?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 06:05:36 PM
Mines needs to mess with this ECU quickly.

When they, HKS, or some other company creates a tunable ECU, they will sell like wildfire...until someone realizes that the car can no longer take 800 hp like the old RB engine.  Why else would they make the computer so complicated?  They hit the peak performance of this car.  I bet it will destroy the engine with much more boost.
They did! Check pg.2
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2008/112_0802_nissan_muzzles_japanese_gtr/good_news.html

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 08, 2008, 06:14:52 PM

----------------

The road is more than a mile long in the middle of nowhere.  I could do no harm to anyone but a deer.  Plus, Crosswire and my other friend with his V8 Firebird were ahead of me, so if there were any small children out there, they most certainly would have killed them first.  I would have just run them over, exposing their inner goo to the pavement.

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2008, 06:15:59 PM
:hammerhead:

Your parents should be castrated and hanged for giving you such a fast car.  How can two people be so irresponsible?

:lol:

Payman

Soup DeVille

----------------

If you're not going to drive it, why would you even buy such a car in the first place?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: the Teuton on February 08, 2008, 06:21:39 PM
The road is more than a mile long in the middle of nowhere.  I could do no harm to anyone but a deer.  Plus, Crosswire and my other friend with his V8 Firebird were ahead of me, so if there were any small children out there, they most certainly would have killed them first.  I would have just run them over, exposing their inner goo to the pavement.
:lol:
:wtf:

sandertheshark

On I-270?  Serve the bastard right.

----------------

Being morons is how these morons wreck cars.  Driving fast is how I get from my parking space to my driveway in twelve minutes or less on a Friday night.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Payman on February 08, 2008, 06:21:47 PM
... and 40 mph.
I'll bet if I tried, I could kill myself without moving.

Tave

Blah, blah, blah...it can't be tuned...blah, blah, blah

I heard that when the RX8 came out, and after that the M5, now the GT-R...

It's barely even touched pavement. Just give it some time.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.