I would never buy a Nissan GT-R!

Started by the Teuton, February 08, 2008, 10:58:44 AM

Tave

And weren't people saying the same thing before they learned how to tune the "ordinary" ECU?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ChrisV

Quote from: Tave on February 08, 2008, 06:49:46 PM
And weren't people saying the same thing before they learned how to tune the "ordinary" ECU?

Yup. Computer controlled engines were supposed to be the end of hot rodding.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

At least Nissan didn't do what BMW do with their european SMG M cars, and have a launch mode that can only be used a limited number of times.  And they also didn't do what Porsche does with the PSM which cuts in when ABS is activated even if it is turned "off". Nor did they do what all major German manufactures do, which is limit their 200+mph cars to 155mph no matter if you are on a track or a road. And regardless of what's claimed, few manufactures, if any, cover damage on the track.  Most of the time we just lie and they don't know about it. If I pulled into my GM dealer and tell them I blew my LS6 on the track, I can promise you it's not going to be covered.

Nissan has created a car that is able to turn off it's limiters and electronic nannies where it's permited, and for those willing to pay a price, it'll keep it's warrantee after.

Lazerous

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2008, 06:02:46 PM
You can still kill yourself at 111mph. 

So you're telling me that if I and a GTR were to race on the 'bahn I would eventually beat it?  :wtf:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lazerous on February 10, 2008, 08:29:27 AM
So you're telling me that if I and a GTR were to race on the 'bahn I would eventually beat it?  :wtf:

No, you may gain on it a little at the end of the  straight, but honestly: how many times do you think you could get an Accord over 110 on the Ring?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 10, 2008, 08:32:51 AM
No, you may gain on it a little at the end of the  straight, but honestly: how many times do you think you could get an Accord over 110 on the Ring?

I think he was talking about the Autobahn, not the Nurburgring.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Champ

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Lazerous on February 10, 2008, 08:29:27 AM
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Jus2shy

Quote from: MX793 on February 08, 2008, 04:12:17 PM
Nissan bragged that they had built the ECU in such a way that the car would be next to tamper proof (read:  untuneable).  No surprise even a catback exhaust would screw things up. 

I think the wheel thing is more of a TPMS thing rather than Nissan trying to force people to stick with the stock wheels.  Any car with TPMS sensors in the rims will throw an error/warning if you swap the rims for aftermarket ones that do not have the sensors, and I'm not aware of many, if any, light-weight aftermarket wheels that have TPMS sensors on them.

GM's TPMS system is actually attached to the valve stem. So  you can use any rim you want as long as you install the proper TPMS sensor in the right rims. You always have to re-calibrate the TPMS system when you rotate tires. The system re-learns the sensors by either pumping up a tire for 8 seconds, or dropping pressure for 8 seconds. My sky will blink at each corner it is ready to learn a tire position. If a light blinks, then you gotta either pump or deflate that tire for 8 seconds. It's like simon on a car.
Driver of a 2k8 Sky Redline, my wife named it "Stormy Sky"

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 08, 2008, 04:22:00 PM
I have TPMS on my summer wheels and it doesn't throw a light if I use my winter wheels.

There are two types of TPMS, one roughly senses TP through ABS (not sure how it works), the more advanced type is wired into the wheel and uses a special valve stem. You probably have the former.

FlatBlackCaddy

I've never heard of the ABS kind, everyone i've seen has the RF stem in the wheel. From what little i've seen on the tire rack that way has been the standard since TPMS have been used.

93JC

I would never buy a Nissan GT-R either!

'Cause I'm dirt-fucking-poor. :lol:

JYODER240

Quote from: 850CSi on February 10, 2008, 05:02:54 PM
There are two types of TPMS, one roughly senses TP through ABS (not sure how it works), the more advanced type is wired into the wheel and uses a special valve stem. You probably have the former.

I have the 2nd type, one of my gauges can cycle through different options. If I check to see what my pressure is it will just show 3 dashes. If I have my summer tires on and the pressure drops to 28 or lower the light in the dash will come on. If the sensors aren't there it doesn't bother with throwing the light.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

850CSi

Quote from: JYODER240 on February 10, 2008, 06:42:09 PM
I have the 2nd type, one of my gauges can cycle through different options. If I check to see what my pressure is it will just show 3 dashes. If I have my summer tires on and the pressure drops to 28 or lower the light in the dash will come on. If the sensors aren't there it doesn't bother with throwing the light.

Oh, ok. That's good. There are posts on the E90 forums all over the place about getting new TPMS sensors because they want to change their stock rims/tires and a light goes off if you don't do that. Stupid IMO.

The Pirate

We're putting new cover sheets on all of our TPS reports now before they go out.

Did ya get the memo?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

Quote from: The Pirate on February 10, 2008, 09:57:04 PM
We're putting new cover sheets on all of our TPS reports now before they go out.

Did ya get the memo?

Lumberg FTW.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi