The Viper is dead

Started by TheIntrepid, February 09, 2008, 09:50:02 AM

Tave

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 11, 2008, 09:15:00 AM
What are you talking about?

These nubs:

I've noticed the design trend on a lot of new models. I think it must have something to do with airflow, but I don't like how it looks. It has perverted front-end design.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Nethead on February 11, 2008, 11:44:14 AM
Soup DeVille:  Sadly, SoupDude, you have revealed another sign of the times--strangling red tape everywhere you turn...

The Nethead here lost track of the Avanti while I was in the Service--I became a motorcycle dude and didn't own car or truck for going on four years...It's possible that I might have gone many more years without a car or truck except for the job I took when I got out of the Army--working on a crew building the steel towers that carry high-tension cables through the countryside--ten hours/day, four days/week, and eight hours on Fridays.  Carrying galvanized steel is hard work--I was ripping up clothes and wearing out boots & gloves so fast that I just couldn't carry enough work clothing on the bike to make it a week.  Traveling from site to site often put 500 miles/week on the bike, so I broke down and got a truck to carry more necessities in the cab and the bike in the back.  When I finally could afford a new '73 Datsun truck, I got a vehicle as fitting to my lifestyle as any vehicle ever could be--I only traded it for a Dodge B150 van when the WifeDude was seven months along on our second child (two child seats won't fit noway/nohow between two adults in the bench seat of a '73 Datsun truck).  Somewhere during this disjointed life, the Avanti quietly slipped into the dusty annals of automotive history and I wasn't even aware of it--sadness deep in your stomach like when you find out one of your old hang-outs has been razed and a time-share high-rise has taken its place...

Actually, dudeDude: we're both wrong.

They're still in business
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on February 11, 2008, 12:17:59 PM
These nubs:

I've noticed the design trend on a lot of new models. I think it must have something to do with airflow, but I don't like how it looks. It has perverted front-end design.

They're called canards.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 11, 2008, 12:18:44 PM
They're called canards.

Are they? I like them better than this stuff:

I'm thinking they must serve a similar purpose.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on February 11, 2008, 12:22:43 PM
Are they? I like them better than this stuff:

Well, I'd call that an air dam that's trying to look like a splitter.

I'm thinking they must serve a similar purpose.

Tave

Same with this?

(Those don't bother me as much)

Nethead

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 11, 2008, 12:18:10 PM

Soup DeVille:  SoupDude, sometimes it's GREAT to be wrong!
So many stairs...so little time...

Vinsanity

Quote from: Tave on February 11, 2008, 12:39:34 PM
Same with this?

(Those don't bother me as much)

That's funny. The ones on the Caddy aren't nearly as noticeable to me as the ones on the Corolla.

Tave

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 11, 2008, 12:53:35 PM
That's funny. The ones on the Caddy aren't nearly as noticeable to me as the ones on the Corolla.

:lol: :huh:

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on February 11, 2008, 12:17:59 PM
These nubs:

on this car they actually are functional and provide tons of downforce along with the front splitter.  The car can reportedly pull 1.5 cornering g's at high speeds.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

J86

Canards?  We have those in sailing...

Tave

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2008, 12:58:23 PM
on this car they actually are functional and provide tons of downforce along with the front splitter.  The car can reportedly pull 1.5 cornering g's at high speeds.

That makes sense. As I said, I don't even mind the looks of it, but some of the other models have been pissing me off.

FordSVT

Quote from: J86 on February 11, 2008, 03:48:36 PM
Canards?  We have those in sailing...

I think the term also applies here as it does in the aerospace industry. I'm sure I've heard them refer to "front spoilers" in F1 and CART as canards but I might be incorrect about that.

r0tor

the canards are the two things half way up the bumper, while the lower part is all one piece and would be considered a splitter... and i believe the splitter is removeable because its too low for street use but too important to not have for track use
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Nethead

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 11, 2008, 12:18:10 PM

SoupDude! I checked out your link, and realized that many of the pics in their "Gallery" section are just too familiar to mistake--the interiors of the doors, the rear seats, possibly the side mirrors, the round ventilation ducts, the shift lever, the parking brake handle, the windshield, and especially the steering wheel are current Mustang items!  See below, direct from the Avanti website:

"The Avanti started life in 1962 as the Raymond Loewy designed flagship sports car of Studebaker automobile company. Despite the demise of Studebaker itself the intrinsic strengths of the Avanti have allowed it to remain at the forefront of American sports cars for more than a generation. The original Avantis were produced in the Studebaker factory in South Bend, Indiana. After periods in Canada; Youngstown, Ohio; and Villa Rica, Georgia; the manufacturing operation was transferred to Cancun, Mexico in 2006.The Avanti continued to use the original, Studebaker designed, frame until the 1987 model year when a General Motors platform was adopted. Not only did this provide a significant technical advance it also facilitated the introduction of the first Avanti convertible. In the late 1990?s Tom Kellogg, who had been a member of Loewy?s original design team that worked on the Avanti, was commissioned to design the next generation Avanti to be known as the AVX. Kellogg?s re-style brought a modern context to Loewy?s original design and subsequent changes have been both subtle and sympathetic, ensuring the cars remain unmistakably Avantis. The Avanti continued to use General Motors platforms and engines until 2004, when they were replaced by Ford units. For the 2006 model year the Company took the opportunity to use a new Ford platform and its longer wheelbase liberated extra interior space whilst at the same time offering improvements handling and ride comfort. For 2007 the changes were largely under the skin targetting comfort, convenience and overall customer satisfaction making to current cars to best Avantis to date."

It was the shot of the inside of the passenger door that startled me, and then the steering wheel convinced me!  Further, I found the above quote in the Avanti "History" section, and my jaw dropped!  Damn! 
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on February 14, 2008, 02:13:47 PM
SoupDude! I checked out your link, and realized that many of the pics in their "Gallery" section are just too familiar to mistake--the interiors of the doors, the rear seats, possibly the side mirrors, the round ventilation ducts, the shift lever, the parking brake handle, the windshield, and especially the steering wheel are current Mustang items!  See below, direct from the Avanti website:

"The Avanti started life in 1962 as the Raymond Loewy designed flagship sports car of Studebaker automobile company. Despite the demise of Studebaker itself the intrinsic strengths of the Avanti have allowed it to remain at the forefront of American sports cars for more than a generation. The original Avantis were produced in the Studebaker factory in South Bend, Indiana. After periods in Canada; Youngstown, Ohio; and Villa Rica, Georgia; the manufacturing operation was transferred to Cancun, Mexico in 2006.The Avanti continued to use the original, Studebaker designed, frame until the 1987 model year when a General Motors platform was adopted. Not only did this provide a significant technical advance it also facilitated the introduction of the first Avanti convertible. In the late 1990?s Tom Kellogg, who had been a member of Loewy?s original design team that worked on the Avanti, was commissioned to design the next generation Avanti to be known as the AVX. Kellogg?s re-style brought a modern context to Loewy?s original design and subsequent changes have been both subtle and sympathetic, ensuring the cars remain unmistakably Avantis. The Avanti continued to use General Motors platforms and engines until 2004, when they were replaced by Ford units. For the 2006 model year the Company took the opportunity to use a new Ford platform and its longer wheelbase liberated extra interior space whilst at the same time offering improvements handling and ride comfort. For 2007 the changes were largely under the skin targetting comfort, convenience and overall customer satisfaction making to current cars to best Avantis to date."

It was the shot of the inside of the passenger door that startled me, and then the steering wheel convinced me!  Further, I found the above quote in the Avanti "History" section, and my jaw dropped!  Damn! 
That's the ugliest Mustang I've ever seen.

J86

Quote from: FordSVT on February 12, 2008, 12:38:49 PM
I think the term also applies here as it does in the aerospace industry. I'm sure I've heard them refer to "front spoilers" in F1 and CART as canards but I might be incorrect about that.

That would make sense- if there is a blade in front of the keel, we call that a canard.

LonghornTX

The front wings you see in that picture are also considered canards.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666