Is there a market for a compact truck?

Started by akuma_supreme, February 12, 2008, 05:47:41 PM

akuma_supreme

I'm always kinda half-assed in the marklet fopr a new car, and lately, I've been thinking that when and if the days comes I will replace my car with a pickup of some sort.  Although there are plenty of impressive trucks on the market today, all of them seem too big for my urban lifestyle, and too thirsty for my wallet.  I can't be the only person out there who thinks this and I'm curious to hera what the rest of the folks think.  Now that all the small trucks have blossomed into "midsize trucks" or are on there way out of the market, and with today's rising gas prices, is it there again a market for a compact truck?

the Teuton

The Euro Ford Ranger looks nice.  Too bad Ford doesn't sell it here.

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on February 12, 2008, 05:50:27 PM

Isn't the Euro Ranger slightly larger than the current, and rather outdated, US Ranger?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Toyota built the first gen Tacoma for 10 years up till 2004, so for some time to come there should be plenty of good condition, low mileage examples to be had.

SVT666

S204STi

I think he's talking about a true compact truck, not one of the myriad "small" trucks that have become more or less midsize.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on February 12, 2008, 10:52:43 PM
I think he's talking about a true compact truck, not one of the myriad "small" trucks that have become more or less midsize.
The Ford Ranger is the last one.  I would buy it in a heartbeat too if I was in the market.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2008, 11:09:40 PM
The Ford Ranger is the last one.  I would buy it in a heartbeat too if I was in the market.

I recently drove an '05 5 speed 2.3L Ranger work truck. I loved it.

The brakes were great, the steering was nicely weighted, and it was pretty quick too!

Dropping a DOHC Mazda engine into a Ranger was a great idea!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: the Teuton on February 12, 2008, 05:50:27 PM

The Ford Ranger is massive!

FoMoJo

I was, seriously, thinking of trading my '01 Escape for a new Ranger.  My preference would be the 2.3 engine because of the fuel efficiency.  However, I want the extended cab as well and it's not available with the 2.3.  I've, almost, resolved to getting the 3.0 (old Vulcan pushrod)as it's known for its durability...but I haven't quit made up my mind yet.  In the meantime, I've got new brakes on the Escape and want to get a bit more use out of the investment.  The Ranger is the only compact truck I would consider...new or used...or its Mazda twin.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

280Z Turbo

ifcar

The Colorado/Canyon or Ranger are probably about as compact as a truck can be while still meeting US safety standards.

Byteme

Quote from: akuma_supreme on February 12, 2008, 05:47:41 PM
I'm always kinda half-assed in the marklet fopr a new car, and lately, I've been thinking that when and if the days comes I will replace my car with a pickup of some sort.  Although there are plenty of impressive trucks on the market today, all of them seem too big for my urban lifestyle, and too thirsty for my wallet.  I can't be the only person out there who thinks this and I'm curious to hera what the rest of the folks think.  Now that all the small trucks have blossomed into "midsize trucks" or are on there way out of the market, and with today's rising gas prices, is it there again a market for a compact truck?

I remember the imported pickups in the late 70, along with the Ford courrier and whatever GM offered weren't big at all, yet they probably had all the carrying capacity Joe Urban Homeowner was ever likely to need, 1,400 payload capacity fo the Courier.  I'm surprised no one has come out with something like that.

Then again maybe I shouldn't be surprised since the trend seems to be toward bigger, longer, more powerful, thirstier.  :(

FoMoJo

Quote from: Byteme on February 13, 2008, 11:07:24 AM
I remember the imported pickups in the late 70, along with the Ford courrier and whatever GM offered weren't big at all, yet they probably had all the carrying capacity Joe Urban Homeowner was ever likely to need, 1,400 payload capacity fo the Courier.  I'm surprised no one has come out with something like that.

Then again maybe I shouldn't be surprised since the trend seems to be toward bigger, longer, more powerful, thirstier.  :(
I had a '73 Ford Courier which I bought new.  It seemed the perfect size for suburban homeowner use.  As well, it was perfect for hauling my son's go-kart around.  The 1.8 litre Mazda engine was rather exceptional for those times as well.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

ChrisV

Mini trucks did the job they were meant to do well. The problem is, people seem to want more refined, more car like, larger, etc. The Ranger still does the job of a small truck and does it as well as it needs to to get the job done. It's much more refined than '70s mini trucks, which ALSO were enough truck to do the job.

I've had a couple Chevy LUVs from the '70s, a couple Datsun 720 bulletsides, a '60s Datsun 620, a 2nd gen Courier, and then a '92 Toyota SR5 and a '96 Ranger Splash. Even lowered and customized, they were capable of hauling enoguh stuff around the house, and probably could have towed a decent amount had I needed them to.

I love mini trucks and am still sort of looking around for an '85-86 Toyota extended cab longbed.

My last Toyota: http://home.comcast.net/~cvetters3/toyota.htm

My last Datsun bulletside: http://home.comcast.net/~cvetters3/datsun04.jpg
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

When I see 'compact truck', of what approximate length should I be thinking?

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on February 14, 2008, 06:40:44 AM
When I see 'compact truck', of what approximate length should I be thinking?

Think small trucks of the '70s, like my Datsun or Toyota.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Byteme

Quote from: ChrisV on February 14, 2008, 06:29:21 AM
Mini trucks did the job they were meant to do well. The problem is, people seem to want more refined, more car like, larger, etc. The Ranger still does the job of a small truck and does it as well as it needs to to get the job done. It's much more refined than '70s mini trucks, which ALSO were enough truck to do the job.

I agree and I would argue that it is possible to build a courier sized pickup today that is safe, comfortable and has a decent payload capacity.

If they can make a Smart that meets safety standards they can surely do the same for a small pickup.  

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on February 14, 2008, 07:02:25 AM
I agree and I would argue that it is possible to build a courier sized pickup today that is safe, comfortable and has a decent payload capacity.

If they can make a Smart that meets safety standards they can surely do the same for a small pickup.   

Yes, but I would think it's significantly cheaper to make them safe with sheer size. I doubt there's a market for small trucks that cost more than larger ones.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 13, 2008, 09:47:46 AM
Your perception is skewed. We can't trust you.

No seriously, the one in the picture is not really compact, even by your standards.  I think it's just as big as the one sold in America.

SVT666

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 14, 2008, 07:25:14 AM
No seriously, the one in the picture is not really compact, even by your standards.  I think it's just as big as the one sold in America.
It's bigger then ours but it's not as big as say a Tacoma.  Ours is pretty small.

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on February 14, 2008, 07:04:35 AM
Yes, but I would think it's significantly cheaper to make them safe with sheer size. I doubt there's a market for small trucks that cost more than larger ones.

By that rationale a base Focus should cost more than a base Taurus.

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on February 14, 2008, 08:37:20 AM
By that rationale a base Focus should cost more than a base Taurus.

Today's smallest pickups are already among the least expensive vehicles on the road, so it would be unrealistic to assume that even smaller models would cost less, especially if the same level of safety (mandatory) and capability (highly desirable among cheap trucks) is to be attained.

Smart vs. Hyundai Accent is an example of this: today's Accent-size subcompacts are about as small as manufacturers can make them pass basic consumer and federal requirements for sale in the US without requiring price-boosting engineering. The Smart won't be a mainstream car in the US in no small part because it is actually more expensive than an Accent/Rio or Aveo, and a pickup wouldn't have the cute factor to go on.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 14, 2008, 08:45:10 AM
Today's smallest pickups are already among the least expensive vehicles on the road, so it would be unrealistic to assume that even smaller models would cost less, especially if the same level of safety (mandatory) and capability (highly desirable among cheap trucks) is to be attained.

Smart vs. Hyundai Accent is an example of this: today's Accent-size subcompacts are about as small as manufacturers can make them pass basic consumer and federal requirements for sale in the US without requiring price-boosting engineering. The Smart won't be a mainstream car in the US in no small part because it is actually more expensive than an Accent/Rio or Aveo, and a pickup wouldn't have the cute factor to go on.

Ever heard of loss leaders?

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 14, 2008, 08:55:05 AM
Ever heard of loss leaders?

What would be the point of selling a small pickup at a loss? They'd lose money on it while cannibalizing their larger truck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on February 14, 2008, 08:57:08 AM
What would be the point of selling a small pickup at a loss? They'd lose money on it while cannibalizing their larger truck.

CAFE?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 14, 2008, 09:06:17 AM
CAFE?

A small pickup wouldn't do enough. E85 is the way to go on that, it seems.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 14, 2008, 08:57:08 AM

For the same reason any company has a loss leader...

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 14, 2008, 09:28:37 AM
For the same reason any company has a loss leader...

Well, no. There are lots of reasons, but I'd say the more common would be an image car, like the Prius or Nissan GT-R. What would this serve?

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 14, 2008, 10:25:37 AM
Well, no. There are lots of reasons, but I'd say the more common would be an image car, like the Prius or Nissan GT-R. What would this serve?

Yeah I agree it's more commonly 'image' cars.

But Mercedes has let Smart make a loss for years.  There must be some motive behind it!

It's been said a lot there's often little profit from selling small cars, but it does serve to increase brand loyalty by getting people to buy the product they can afford, then you might be able to make a lot of money out of them when they can afford something better.  I think the same logic could apply to trucks?

Also, I think you should think outside the box a bit more.  Just because they don't sell any cheaper trucks right now, doesn't mean it can't be done.  I'm not sure how many people thought Tata could make a ?2,500 car but they have.