Peugeot 308 - Australian launch drive

Started by omicron, February 13, 2008, 11:07:09 PM

omicron

The title for the hottest market Down Under is a close run thing these days. As new products hit the road, the makers within the Light and Small car segments seem almost to spur each other on. As 2008 develops, it'll be demand for cars like Peugeot's new 308 that will provide the impetus to keep the Small Car segment ahead.

Officially replacing the French carmaker's top-selling but generally underdone 307, the 308 goes on sale in Australia officially this month (February 2008). It is the first '8 generation' Peugeot to make it Down Under.

The epithet 'all-new' is used all too often in automotive circles. However, in terms of most new models, though built on the same platform as the outgoing model, the 308 qualifies. For a start, the car's new body is substantially different (sportier) in both styling and dimensions -- gone is the upright quasi-peoplemover look of the 307. Then there's redesigned suspension, with significantly wider tracks front and rear, and manifestly improved interior plus a new petrol engine range. Detailed changes are myriad.

With well in excess of 20,000 sales since 2002 -- up to 70 per cent of them diesels in recent years -- the 307, and therefore 308, represents more than half Peugeot's annual volume Down Under. In a private market that is increasingly looking to smaller cars and diesel powertrains to deliver engaging, economical family transport, the potential for the new car to make or break the brand's fortunes in Australia is obvious.

Just as well then that the 308, at least on the impressions gained during our initial drive, promises to be a serious return to form for the iconic French marque.

Three trim levels of 308 will be offered initially, with the all five-door hatch range powered by a choice of turbo and naturally-aspirated petrol engines as well as the maker's excellent and proven HDI turbodiesels (the latter in two capacities). A number of automatic and manual gearboxes are offered across the model range, with most, but not all, variants offering a choice of gearbox types.

The 308 launch model range kicks off with the 88kW five-speed manual naturally-aspirated 1.6-litre petrol XS at $25,990. A four-speed auto version is offered at a $2000 premium.

Next up the range is the manual-only 80kW 1.6-litre XS HDi turbodiesel. At $29,990, its pricetag is carried over from the equivalent 307 model. (The base petrol model has increased $500).

Even at entry level the 307 is well-equipped. See SAFETY below for more details, however, all levels of 307 get six airbags (including curtains) and come equipped with antilock brakes complete with brake force distribution and emergency brake assist. Disappointingly, however, the XS misses out on standard stability control. At least this is an affordable $450 option.

In terms of amenity and other items, a trip computer, height-adjustable front seats, keyless entry, six-speaker CD with steering wheel controls, height and reach adjustable wheel and cruise control (with speed limiter) are all included. Add to this dual-zone climate control air, front and rear foglights and electric mirrors and the XS's standard equipment list looks more than competitive.

At first cut, the main absentees (ESP aside) seem to be alloy wheels (15-inch steel is standard) and rear electric windows -- only the front are by button.

Both of these omissions are remedied at XSE level which kicks off with the auto-only naturally-apsirated petrol XSE priced at $30,390. Along with the 110kW XSE Turbo -- the cheapest petrol turbo model at $30,590 for the five-speed manual version (add $2000 for auto) -- this model also adds stability control and rear park assist, body-coloured bumpers, 16-inch alloys, rear centre armrest with skiport, auto wipers and headlights and trim upgrades inside and out.

The XSE level also gets the alternate 'sports' front-end styling -- distinguishable by the 'toothier' chrome grille.

The most expensive petrol model is the auto-only XTE which features a unique, less muscular 103kW version of the petrol turbo engine. This trim grade adds an in-dash five-disc CD changer and fragrance dispenser (no, they're not one unit!) and Peugeot's Cielo panoramic fixed glass roof -- over four square metres of it!

In turbodiesel guise, the XSE and XTE boast Peugeot's impressive 2.0-litre HDi engine. The former is offered in manual and auto variants at $33,590 and $35,790, respectively.

The most expensive 308, at least until the expected CC and GTi versions (including a three-door) arrive, is the auto-only XTE HDi at $37,990.

The XSE/XTE fleet we drove was well optioned and proved an attractive sight parked en masse at the lunch stop in Bungendore -- by that time including a patina of white dust from the well-formed dirt section included in the 200km route.

Though it's hard to deliver a verdict after such a short time in the car, a couple of strong impressions were formed on the drive, which took in roads we've traversed in the past.

The first is the job the engineers have done on NVH. The 308 is an amazingly serene drive on most surfaces and exhibits negligible wind noise even at elevated speeds. Indeed, such is the calm in the cabin and the general manners and willingness of the car that at times we had to wind back the pace for fear of a stern roadside chat.

A good performer in MINI models (the Cooper S uses a 128kW version) and the 207 GT, the 110kW turbo 1.6-petrol seems hardly fazed by the extra bulk or weight of the 308. With two onboard, and albeit a light luggage load, the car would overtake in top gear without complaint from the 80-90km/h mark without the need to downchange. Do so, however, and you'd be rewarded with elastic performance and just a hint of engine note.

At 110km/h the engine's turning over at 2600rpm in top gear and ready to go. Lag is negligible and response is willing. Were it legal, the natural gait of the car would be closer to 135km/h. Alas this, and the 308's 50/90/110/130 major speedo graduations, correspond to the laws en Francaise -- not here.

This penchant to pull through the local limit might be tempered by a sixth ratio -- a la MINI. As it was, I found myself looking for another gear time and time again.

Riding on 16-inch rubber the XSE Turbo we tested had no shortage of grip and rewarded the driver with crisp turn-in, but perhaps not as much steering feedback as we'd like. Steering weighting is good, but there's also some tramlining as a price of the eager turn-in we noted above.

In general terms the 308 is a substantial step forward from the 307. Or should that be backward? In its manners, the 308 reminded my driving partner of his much-lamented 306.

The economy's in a different league, though. Even punting the XSE Turbo along at a pretty quick clip (especially on the deserted section of the old Hume Highway the test loop took in) we registered less than 7.7L/100km. Impressive.

Swapping to a six-speed auto XTE 2.0HDi riding on lower profile 17-inch rubber, the ride degraded, though not to the levels we've complained about in the 307. The thump-bump of the lower profile rubber is noticeable, however, suggesting that the optional 18-inch wheels and rubber might be best reserved for poseurs or very smooth roads only.

Despite the extra rubber on the road, the XTE also understeered noticeably more than the Turbo -- perhaps a function of the substantial extra mass of the turbodiesel/auto combination. Based on official figures, the XTE rangetopper is 120kg heavier than the already beefy 1402kg XSE Turbo.

There's little to fault the HDi engine auto combination in terms of power delivery, though we wish the Tiptronic +/- shift was the other way round. This is a quiet, responsive diesel that can be caroused or cruised. In the latter mode, open road fuel figures soon drop into the 6.0L range.

We've praised the 308's interior above: just make sure you opt for the darker colours -- the light hued interior exhibits a distracting and annoying level of windscreen reflection thanks to the large expanse of light-coloured dash. The reflections are made worse if the expansive (and essentially useless) glass roof is optioned. Sure, the panorama roof has an electrically operated blind included but if you want to look at the sky, wait for the 308 CC.

Though our impressions are based on a relatively short drive, there's little doubt in our mind the 308 is a markedly better car than the 307 and as noted above, a return to form for Peugeot.

If you're shopping for a car in this class and you're predisposed to buying European, it should very much be in your consideration set.

Given the choice, we'd probably opt for the turbo petrol XSE level with leather. The petrol-engined car seems to handle more crisply and we'd rather change our own gears! Overall, the goodies the XTE models add don't significantly make up for the auto and its impact on the 308's quotient of joie d'vie.

http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/2890734.aspx

Cookie Monster

I like the interior  but am not a fan of the exterior.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

The interior rocks.  It looks like a nice car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Galaxy

Quote from: thecarnut on February 13, 2008, 11:07:50 PM
I like the interior  but am not a fan of the exterior.

I agree the grill is much to small.

nickdrinkwater

Seems to have gone down a lot more favourably over there than here in Europe.

omicron

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 14, 2008, 04:10:22 AM
Seems to have gone down a lot more favourably over there than here in Europe.

I'd imagine most of it is a copy/paste from the Peugeot press kit, so I'm waiting for a proper review from a slightly more trustworthy source. Still, that interior is a really good effort from what I can see.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: omicron on February 14, 2008, 05:23:28 AM
I'd imagine most of it is a copy/paste from the Peugeot press kit, so I'm waiting for a proper review from a slightly more trustworthy source. Still, that interior is a really good effort from what I can see.

The interior looks good but word seems to be that overall the car just feels like a facelifted 307.  Which makes semse as the chassis and many of the engines are the same.