C/D Short Take Road Test: BMW 135i 0-60 4.7 Secs.

Started by MexicoCityM3, February 19, 2008, 05:54:30 PM

LonghornTX

Quote from: ifcar on February 20, 2008, 04:37:08 AM
I don't think that's going to account for the price difference. Not only does the 3-Series not have a high level of standard equipment, but I would think the price to BMW of adding the equipment would be relatively insignificant; that's a cost largely eaten by the consumer.
I don't get exactly what you are trying to say.

My main point is, the 1 series is cheaper because it is a physically smaller vehicle, with slightly less electronic features (the stereo, for example, in the 335i stock is much better than even the upgraded unit on the 135i), and some reduced usage of lightweight materials (less aluminum in the suspension, no plastic front fenders, etc). 

But from a pure features standpoint, the 135i is not as far down as some may assume.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Champ

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 19, 2008, 10:11:56 PM
And what compromises do you speak of that were made to keep the premium?  The car has frickin 6-piston fixed caliper brakes by Brembo.
How come the 1 series gets 6 piston calipers while the M3 gets single piston?

That interior you posted stands out because of the red, post a pic up of a nuetral color and it will get much more blah.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 20, 2008, 10:24:46 AM
I don't get exactly what you are trying to say.

My main point is, the 1 series is cheaper because it is a physically smaller vehicle, with slightly less electronic features (the stereo, for example, in the 335i stock is much better than even the upgraded unit on the 135i), and some reduced usage of lightweight materials (less aluminum in the suspension, no plastic front fenders, etc). 

But from a pure features standpoint, the 135i is not as far down as some may assume.

I actually like the 1 series' styling, I just wouldn't burn 35-40 grand on a 1 series when a 128i would do just fine.  And the 135i only gets 25mpg highway. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Why's everyone so caught up in LSD anyways, in a lot of applications, of course depending on the tune of the car, having an open differential doesn't make a difference.   The application that LSD would make the most difference is in AutoX.  It doesn't make that big of a difference on the track unless your car is putting down a lot of power which won't make a difference in most cars in stock form anyways. 

I'm curious as too how the mileage for the 135i would be though.  It would make a great commuter car. 

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 20, 2008, 11:43:11 AM
I'm curious as too how the mileage for the 135i would be though.  It would make a great commuter car. 

Why would you need that kind of power in a commuter car?  The 135i gets 25mpg per new standards.  And like most modern BMWs, I bet the ride isn't that great. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 11:46:13 AM
Why would you need that kind of power in a commuter car?  The 135i gets 25mpg per new standards.  And like most modern BMWs, I bet the ride isn't that great. 

I want something fun and can pull when I get off work.  Since normally, by the time I get off work, it's past rush hour, I have a chance to actually play around.  It'll be used in the weekends for daily chores too. 

Rich

Quote from: NomisR on February 20, 2008, 11:43:11 AM
Why's everyone so caught up in LSD anyways, in a lot of applications, of course depending on the tune of the car, having an open differential doesn't make a difference.   The application that LSD would make the most difference is in AutoX.  It doesn't make that big of a difference on the track unless your car is putting down a lot of power which won't make a difference in most cars in stock form anyways. 

With all the torque that engine has powering out of 90* right hand turns onto a highway?  I'd want an LSD
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Champ

Quote from: NomisR on February 20, 2008, 11:54:57 AM
I want something fun and can pull when I get off work.  Since normally, by the time I get off work, it's past rush hour, I have a chance to actually play around.  It'll be used in the weekends for daily chores too. 
Sounds like a Viggen would fit your bill, much cheaper too! :lol:

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on February 20, 2008, 11:54:57 AM

I'm still not sure why an all purpose car needs that kind of power.  The 128i does 0-60 in 6 seconds.  That's plenty fast.  I drove our S500 to work a few times, and I was pushing past 100 on on-ramps without even thinking about it.  The 128i gets better gas mileage than the 135i as well.  So does my Boxster S.  In my 170bhp Passat, I had plenty of fun driving past rush hour once I got off the highway.  Maybe I'm just weird; I don't think going fast on a highway is fun.  Nor do I think sitting in traffic is fun. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 12:03:26 PM
I'm still not sure why an all purpose car needs that kind of power.  The 128i does 0-60 in 6 seconds.  That's plenty fast.  I drove our S500 to work a few times, and I was pushing past 100 on on-ramps without even thinking about it.  The 128i gets better gas mileage than the 135i as well.  So does my Boxster S.  In my 170bhp Passat, I had plenty of fun driving past rush hour once I got off the highway.  Maybe I'm just weird; I don't think going fast on a highway is fun.  Nor do I think sitting in traffic is fun. 

Freeway nor traffic is fun, but when you take the long way home through the twisties..   :wub:

I know I don't need it but it's nice to have.  But I'm just saying that right now,  most likely, I'll get something more fun and sensible to replace my RSX when the time comes.  I'm thinking of something like the Mini but I don't think there's any improvement in that unfortunately.

NomisR

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 20, 2008, 11:57:15 AM
With all the torque that engine has powering out of 90* right hand turns onto a highway?  I'd want an LSD

fwd... blah..

LonghornTX

Quote from: Champ on February 20, 2008, 11:31:56 AM
How come the 1 series gets 6 piston calipers while the M3 gets single piston?

That interior you posted stands out because of the red, post a pic up of a nuetral color and it will get much more blah.
I am not argueing design, but rather cheapness (or lack thereof).

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 11:40:40 AM
I actually like the 1 series' styling, I just wouldn't burn 35-40 grand on a 1 series when a 128i would do just fine.  And the 135i only gets 25mpg highway. 
The 135i is a much better deal IMO, despite the 25mpg rating (which is lower than I got with a heavier 335i in my hw driving).

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 11:46:13 AM
I won't judge the ride until I actually drive the car myself, but this is what C&D had to say about it in this article:
"There is an almost microscopic line between firm and harsh, but the 135i?s suspension somehow follows it perfectly, even on large, abrupt impacts. The 135i?s structure and suspension never crash or shudder, and aimed in a straight line, the heavy steering and the sense of unyielding structure allow the 135i to approach the composure of the much larger 6-series."

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 20, 2008, 05:47:55 PM
I won't judge the ride until I actually drive the car myself, but this is what C&D had to say about it in this article:
"There is an almost microscopic line between firm and harsh, but the 135i?s suspension somehow follows it perfectly, even on large, abrupt impacts. The 135i?s structure and suspension never crash or shudder, and aimed in a straight line, the heavy steering and the sense of unyielding structure allow the 135i to approach the composure of the much larger 6-series."

Apparently, Evo agrees, saying it rides better than most modern BMWs. 

And how can the 135i be a better deal if it excels in things that I don't value?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13475.msg748953#msg748953 date=1203555312
And how can the 135i be a better deal if it excels in things that I don't value?

Because you're lying to yourself, that's how.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Quote from: NACar on February 20, 2008, 05:56:51 PM
Because you're lying to yourself, that's how.
Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 05:55:12 PM
Well, I guess I figured you valued handling and braking considering you own a car that excels at both.  The 135i has a standard sport suspension (available as part of a $1200 sport package on the 128i) and a wicked brake setup not even available on the 128i.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 20, 2008, 06:06:03 PM
Well, I guess I figured you valued handling and braking considering you own a car that excels at both.  The 135i has a standard sport suspension (available as part of a $1200 sport package on the 128i) and a wicked brake setup not even available on the 128i.

Yeah, I do enjoy handling and braking.  But the 128i isn't a sports car, therefore it doesn't matter as much. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 06:14:45 PM
Yeah, I do enjoy handling and braking.  But the 128i isn't a sports car, therefore it doesn't matter as much. 
So handling and braking don't matter to you unless you are in a purebred sports car?

I will have to remember that one...haha

sandertheshark

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 20, 2008, 06:20:55 PM
So handling and braking don't matter to you unless you are in a purebred sports car?

I will have to remember that one...haha

This board has a habit of reading poorly, and then reading into things far too much.

When you have one car, you try to pack everything into it.  You want a sports car, a wagon, a sedan, and a convertible all at once.  When you have a sports car, things like speed don't matter.  The only thing that matters in all cars (to me) is involvement.  So if the 135i is no more involving than the 128i (and speed doesn't make a car more involving), then it doesn't interest me, and isn't worth the extra money.  With multiple cars, you can differentiate.  When you have a car that will act as a commuter, then there's no reason to focus more on things that make a car a better commuter.  Of course, I'm the guy who says that a Lotus Elise is perfectly comfortable, and it is, but there are also cars that are more comfortable.  So, why bother with the 19", extra power I don't need (it's not like the 128i is a slow car), and spending far more money than I'd ever be able to turn into pleasure? 

Like I've said many times before; I've driven fast cars and I've driven slow cars.  I've driven slow cars that are more fun than fast cars.  I've also driven fast cars that are more fun than slow cars.  Take the S55 AMG vs. my parents' S500.  The S55 is slightly more fun, for having 200 or so more horsepower, but most of that comes from the intoxication of power.  It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I do get caught up by power; the ability to bend time and space with the flexing of my right foot can certainly cloud the judgment.  But, if offered to me, at no cost, a Civic Si Mugen or an S55 AMG, I'd take the Civic.  It was more fun.

Sure, it may seem odd coming from someone who obviously amped up the power in his purchase, but then again, metrics on some things are different from others.  Sure, the power doesn't matter to me; I'm sure I'd have just as much fun in a standard Boxster as I would in a Boxster S.  But some of buying a car like that isn't just for you.  It's for the looks on the faces of people you pass, passengers, and jumped up racers who just can't cut it.  But you get that with every expensive car.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the extra power of the S, but it just doesn't matter than much to me.  Besides, it wasn't my money. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 20, 2008, 06:33:01 PM
And how can you not value that engine?

300bhp out of a twin turbo six cylinder?  Am I supposed to be impressed by an engine that has power on par with several other naturally aspirated six cylinder engines and turbo fours and that BMW has trouble cooling? 

The turbos are a nice touch of modernism for an antiquated layout, though.  I'll give you that.

EDIT:  Perhaps I'm being overly harsh because it's indeed a BMW. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 06:44:22 PM
This board has a habit of reading poorly, and then reading into things far too much.

When you have one car, you try to pack everything into it.  You want a sports car, a wagon, a sedan, and a convertible all at once.  When you have a sports car, things like speed don't matter.  The only thing that matters in all cars (to me) is involvement.  So if the 135i is no more involving than the 128i (and speed doesn't make a car more involving), then it doesn't interest me, and isn't worth the extra money.  With multiple cars, you can differentiate.  When you have a car that will act as a commuter, then there's no reason to focus more on things that make a car a better commuter.  Of course, I'm the guy who says that a Lotus Elise is perfectly comfortable, and it is, but there are also cars that are more comfortable.  So, why bother with the 19", extra power I don't need (it's not like the 128i is a slow car), and spending far more money than I'd ever be able to turn into pleasure? 

Like I've said many times before; I've driven fast cars and I've driven slow cars.  I've driven slow cars that are more fun than fast cars.  I've also driven fast cars that are more fun than slow cars.  Take the S55 AMG vs. my parents' S500.  The S55 is slightly more fun, for having 200 or so more horsepower, but most of that comes from the intoxication of power.  It doesn't happen often, but sometimes I do get caught up by power; the ability to bend time and space with the flexing of my right foot can certainly cloud the judgment.  But, if offered to me, at no cost, a Civic Si Mugen or an S55 AMG, I'd take the Civic.  It was more fun.

Sure, it may seem odd coming from someone who obviously amped up the power in his purchase, but then again, metrics on some things are different from others.  Sure, the power doesn't matter to me; I'm sure I'd have just as much fun in a standard Boxster as I would in a Boxster S.  But some of buying a car like that isn't just for you.  It's for the looks on the faces of people you pass, passengers, and jumped up racers who just can't cut it.  But you get that with every expensive car.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the extra power of the S, but it just doesn't matter than much to me.  Besides, it wasn't my money. 
Reading poorly?  Haha, whatev bro.  Sorry if I didn't get your full intention from a two sentences...That is afterall why there was a ? placed at the end of statement.

Besides, I was simply pointing out a bit of hypocracy in your statements.  Plus, everything I mentioned increases "involvement", not outright speed.  Your last paragraph further reinforces my feelings, considering that the 135i is much more aggresive looking than the 128i as well as being much faster (in addition to the aforementioned upgrades that enhance feel).  Oh yea, it also is rumored to have a hydraulic steering setup compared to the much less "involving" electric set-up on the 128i.

Also, given your logic of extreme focus in your vehicles, you shouldn't even be kind of looking at the 128i, as there are much better choices for a dedicated commuter car.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 06:49:56 PM
300bhp out of a twin turbo six cylinder?  Am I supposed to be impressed by an engine that has power on par with several other naturally aspirated six cylinder engines and turbo fours and that BMW has trouble cooling? 

The turbos are a nice touch of modernism for an antiquated layout, though.  I'll give you that.

EDIT:  Perhaps I'm being overly harsh because it's indeed a BMW. 
You obviously have never driven a car with this engine in it....

EDIT: There is a reason this car runs 0-60 in 4.7 seconds while the STi which is the same weight, benefits from all wheel drive, and has more power has trouble breaking 5 seconds.

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 20, 2008, 07:08:02 PM
Reading poorly?  Haha, whatev bro.  Sorry if I didn't get your full intention from a single sentence...That is afterall why there was a ? placed at the end of statement.

Besides, I was simply pointing out a bit of hypocracy in your statements.  Plus, everything I mentioned increases "involvement", not outright speed.  Your last paragraph further reinforces my feelings, considering that the 135i is much more aggresive looking than the 128i as well as being much faster (in addition to the aforementioned upgrades that enhance feel).  Oh yea, it also is rumored to have a hydraulic steering setup compared to the much less "involving" electric set-up on the 128i.

Also, given your logic of extreme focus in your vehicles, you shouldn't even be kind of looking at the 128i, as there are much better choices for a dedicated commuter car.

I didn't realize they had different steering setups. 

I'm not looking at the 128i; and most of my statements are assumptions; if upon an actual drive the 135i actually impresses moreso, then I will gladly admit say that I was wrong. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 20, 2008, 07:09:54 PM
You obviously have never driven a car with this engine in it....

I've driven powerful cars before.  I'm not impressed by power much.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 07:10:55 PM
It's how the power is applied, right?

LonghornTX

Quote from: Raza  on February 20, 2008, 07:10:55 PM
So you had your parents (or whoever dropped the cheddar) buy you the S over the regular Boxster because of the massively more aggressive looks?