Avalon Ignition Problem.

Started by CALL_911, February 24, 2008, 10:40:19 AM

CALL_911

Ok guys, a bit of a problem.

My sister's Avalon is a POS. The ignition is shot, the only way to start it is to turn to the key roughly 30 times (when it doesn't start, it clicks, is it a solenoid?). However, now it's "wheezing" (her description over the phone), and it won't start. What to do?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

JWC

Check the basics first, battery terminals for being loose or broken, same for being dirty/corroded. Check connection at starter, make sure it's tight.  If everything is clean, not broken and not loose, most likely its a bad starter.

Wheezing?  Is it now turning over and not starting? Is it turning slowly, possibly indicating a weak battery?

CALL_911

Quote from: JWC on February 24, 2008, 10:52:22 AM
Check the basics first, battery terminals for being loose or broken, same for being dirty/corroded. Check connection at starter, make sure it's tight.  If everything is clean, not broken and not loose, most likely its a bad starter.

Wheezing?  Is it now turning over and not starting? Is it turning slowly, possibly indicating a weak battery?

The battery's been replaced, and that's what I thought, a bad starter.

It is turning over and not starting, but not slowly.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

JWC

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2008, 10:53:30 AM
The battery's been replaced, and that's what I thought, a bad starter.

It is turning over and not starting, but not slowly.

Well, if it is turning over and not starting, the starter is working. 

CALL_911

Quote from: JWC on February 24, 2008, 12:35:45 PM
Well, if it is turning over and not starting, the starter is working. 

She called, and AAA towed it to a garage. It's in shit shape, and my dad doesn't want to deal with it anymore. It will probably be donated by the end of the week.

Probably to be replaced with a Mazda3/VW Rabbit/Civic. But I'm not going to count my chickens (or her chickens) before they hatch.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi