Get A Load Of Stylish New Mondeo

Started by BMWDave, July 14, 2005, 05:33:58 AM

BMWDave

Get A Load Of Stylish New Mondeo

Bigger, better built and more refined... meet the new Mondeo estate, the latest addition to the next-generation Ford's family. The exclusive picture in this week's Auto Express shows what the forthcoming load-lugging version of the blue oval favourite will look like.

Following the trend set by the Focus, the Mondeo will have a comprehensive line-up with a version to suit all tastes, needs and budgets. Despite offering improved practicality, the estate gets a sleeker, more stylish design than the model it replaces, with a sloping roofline and expansive glass area.

As you can see in this week's mag, the face of the new Mondeo - first revealed by Auto Express back in Issue 848 - has its own unique appearance. Following criticism company designers were too conservative with the latest Focus, they have taken a more adventurous approach.

As with the current load-lugger, the all-new version will be immensely practical. It's aiming to entice customers back from the buoyant MPV market, and an enormous load bay with flat folding rear seats will be key to the car's capability. As with all its stablemates, the Mondeo estate will also represent a massive step forward in quality to help ensure it is still a great choice for both private and fleet buyers.

With the focus set firmly on value for money, insiders at Ford are keen to stress that the Mondeo won't make the same shift into the premium sector taken by key rivals such as the Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat. While quality will improve, prices are not expected to rise dramatically. A spokeswoman said: "If companies like Ford are bringing out extremely well built and technologically advanced cars, why would you want to pay extra for supposedly more upmarket competitors?"

All Mondeo variants will be built at Ford's plant at Genk in Belgium, where the latest hi-tech manufacturing techniques will be employed to keep production costs down, while improving fit and finish at the same time. By carrying over engines from the current car, bosses will make further savings.

The first Ford to use the all-new Mondeo platform will be the next-generation Galaxy MPV. It will debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September and appear in UK dealers in the spring.

The smaller SAV Mondeo people carrier will be unveiled at the Geneva expo in March 2006. That will go on sale later next year, but the spotlight will soon shift to the Mondeo saloon, hatchback and estate, which will arrive in road-ready trim at the Paris Motor Show in September 2006. All three variants will then go on sale at the same time in the first half of 2007.
Chris Thorp

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I hate the wheels, otherwise it looks like a taller Matrix/Vibe with a different front end (not bad though).

And I always like my cars to be igger, better built, and more refined. ;)

BMWDave

QuoteI hate the wheels, otherwise it looks like a taller Matrix/Vibe with a different front end (not bad though).

I edited that :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

cozmik

That is clearly a chop of the B-Class...

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Fire It Up

QuoteI hate the wheels, otherwise it looks like a taller Matrix/Vibe with a different front end (not bad though).

I edited that :lol:
I think he un-edited it....

that front end is short.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

giant_mtb

Get rid of the wheels/tires (those tires are way too small in the sidewall to really be on that vehicle) and make it either shorter or wider (so it doesn't look like it's gonna tip over from the slightest wind gust) and you got yourself a decent lookin' car/van/whatever it is.

Raghavan

SargeMonkey

Is that a focus? Looks funny, like a dead clown.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

BMWDave

QuoteIs that a focus? Looks funny, like a dead clown.
No, its supposed to be a new European Ford Mondeo.

2007 Honda S2000