SVT Focus

Started by SVT666, March 08, 2008, 10:16:07 PM

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on March 08, 2008, 11:31:31 PM
Generally speaking, US customs doesn't have much of an issue with stuff going out of the country.  It's getting stuff into the country that becomes a PITA.  I suspect it's the same with Canada.
From what I've been told, Canadian Customs agents are being over worked with all the cars being imported and they're getting pissy about it, so they really inconvenince you when do import one to discourage you and your friends from doing it again.  I felt that what they did to me was way beyond what was needed to ensure that I wasn't smuggling anything or that I wasn't lying about how much I paid for it.

Would I do it again?  Absolutely.  I saved myself between $7000 and $9000 doing this.  Would I drive all the way from San Jose again?  Probably not.  That was a really long drive with few good driving roads along the way.  I found one road that was one of the best driving roads I've ever seen in Maryhill, WA though.  It took me 3 minutes to drive all the way down this road as fast I was willing to take a car I didn't know very well, and 3 minutes back up it.  It was a recently asphalted driveway for some rich dudes house.  I'm racing around the corners and then boom I'm in front of his house where he is loading his family into their Land Cruiser.  I stop and just look at his through the windshield and his whole family stopped and just stared at me.  I waved at them, they all waved back, I threw it into reverse, turned around, and screamed all the way back up to the highway.   :rockon:

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on March 09, 2008, 10:04:56 AM

:confused:

Every hotel I've ever been too has someone at the front desk 24hours a day :huh:
The motels that I could have probably afforded on my tiny budget for the trip looked dark when I passed them by.  This was Salem, OR so it wasn't a big city like Portland.  Besides, I was so tired that I just wanted to find a parking lot and crash for a few hours and then get up and go.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2008, 10:08:02 AM
From what I've been told, Canadian Customs agents are being over worked with all the cars being imported and they're getting pissy about it, so they really inconvenince you when do import one to discourage you and your friends from doing it again.  I felt that what they did to me was way beyond what was needed to ensure that I wasn't smuggling anything or that I wasn't lying about how much I paid for it.

Would I do it again?  Absolutely.  I saved myself between $7000 and $9000 doing this.  Would I drive all the way from San Jose again?  Probably not.  That was a really long drive with few good driving roads along the way.  I found one road that was one of the best driving roads I've ever seen in Maryhill, WA though.  It took me 3 minutes to drive all the way down this road as fast I was willing to take a car I didn't know very well, and 3 minutes back up it.  It was a recently asphalted driveway for some rich dudes house.  I'm racing around the corners and then boom I'm in front of his house where he is loading his family into their Land Cruiser.  I stop and just look at his through the windshield and his whole family stopped and just stared at me.  I waved at them, they all waved back, I threw it into reverse, turned around, and screamed all the way back up to the highway.   :rockon:

I'll bet that was akward.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 08, 2008, 10:48:34 PM
congrats Hemi! :rockon:

what color is the car?
Outside is silver, inside it Charcoal with red inserts on the seats.

omicron

I like the sound of this, Mr Hemi!

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on March 09, 2008, 10:18:18 AM
I like the sound of this, Mr Hemi!
It was awesome.  I saw the driveway on the other side of the valley I was driving along, and when the highway crossed over the other side, I thought, "What the hell, why not".  So I turned off the highway and drove his driveway.  Coming up on he and his family at the bottom was completely unexpected.  I was hoping they would be in the house. :lol:

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2008, 10:29:44 AM
It was awesome.  I saw the driveway on the other side of the valley I was driving along, and when the highway crossed over the other side, I thought, "What the hell, why not".  So I turned off the highway and drove his driveway.  Coming up on he and his family at the bottom was completely unexpected.  I was hoping they would be in the house. :lol:

The true measure of any Spinner. :praise:

CALL_911

Hemi, that sounds like a lot of fun. :ohyeah:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

* THIS POST WAS THE PICTURES THAT ARE NOW IN THE FIRST POST OF THE THREAD *

SVT666

Those stupid window things on the doors are coming off.  I hate them.

CALL_911

Oh man, that thing looks awesome. I love the projectors, I was wondering if you got them or not.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2008, 10:46:58 AM

That was to have been my first question. I'm also curious as to your wife's impressions of the car.

CALL_911

Oh, and you should have gotten an E46 325i. :rolleyes:

:tounge:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Champ

I like the wheels!  Are they usually that dark or is it just a bunch of brake dust.  I like that powder coated look.. :ohyeah:

sportyaccordy

Whoa the 5 door? HIDs? Cool man. Those have 170HP right? Should be a fast ride!

the Teuton

Once again, I hope this silver compact treats you better than the last one, Mr. Hemispherical Combustion Chamber 666. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

* THIS POST WAS THE REVIEW THAT IS NOW IN THE FIRST POST OF THE THREAD *

SVT666

Quote from: Champ on March 09, 2008, 10:55:06 AM
I like the wheels!  Are they usually that dark or is it just a bunch of brake dust.  I like that powder coated look.. :ohyeah:
Brake dust, though I love the look of them.  Maybe I won't clean them. :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2008, 10:46:58 AM

you can't get those things off fast enough for my liking! eewwwww

Otherwise it looks in good shape and should be fun to drive  :ohyeah:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 09, 2008, 12:03:22 PM
http://www.superchargersonline.com/product_detail.asp?PartNumber=V4FJ218-020SQ
Unfortunately a supercharger is out of the question.  I can't justify that with a new baby coming.  I am getting a short throw shifter, custom tune, and intake for now.  Anything more then that has to wait for a while.

Soup DeVille

Would I do it again?  Absolutely.  I saved myself between $7000 and $9000 doing this.  

Sounds like a guy could make a decent sideline business out of doing this sort of thing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

Hemi, do you need to change the gauge cluster?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 09, 2008, 05:13:45 PM
Hemi, do you need to change the gauge cluster?
No.  Even though MPH is the primary number on the speedo, km/h is shown and that's all that matters.  The only modification that needs to take place is the DRL (Daytime Running Lights) relay.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 09, 2008, 05:12:15 PM
Sounds like a guy could make a decent sideline business out of doing this sort of thing.
I thought about it, but I don't have time.  In two weeks I start building my house and I'm the General Contractor, I have a full time job, and my wife is delivering in early May.  I won't have time to do it again until after we move into the new house in the fall/winter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 09, 2008, 05:20:02 PM
I thought about it, but I don't have time.  In two weeks I start building my house and I'm the General Contractor, I have a full time job, and my wife is delivering in early May.  I won't have time to do it again until after we move into the new house in the fall/winter.

Short timeline in getting the house up there.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 09, 2008, 05:21:52 PM
Short timeline in getting the house up there.
I'm allowing for 6-9 months.  I want to be in before Xmas.

Cookie Monster

Nice car!
Too bad it's the 5 door. :cry:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CALL_911

Quote from: thecarnut on March 09, 2008, 05:45:55 PM
Nice car!
Too bad it's the 5 door. :cry:

IMO, it looks quite nice.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi