2010 Pontiac G8 Ute

Started by CJ, March 14, 2008, 11:15:13 PM

93JC

I'm not saying pickup trucks are useless, just that THE AVERAGE PICKUP TRUCK BUYER (for instance, a nerdy buddy from uni who bought a Chevy Silverado and to my knowledge has never put anything in the back of his truck, EVER) doesn't need a monstrous full-size truck, if one at all.

You may have used your Ram for offroading, yard work, towing, hauling quads, blah blah blah, but LOTS OF PICKUP TRUCK BUYERS DON'T. I think, based on my own experience, it may even be most.

I think smaller trucks like the Commodore Ute could easily supplant full-size trucks for MANY truck buyers.

In the same way I don't think people need minivans if they pop out one measly kid.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on April 09, 2008, 01:02:25 PM
I'm not saying pickup trucks are useless, just that THE AVERAGE PICKUP TRUCK BUYER (for instance, a nerdy buddy from uni who bought a Chevy Silverado and to my knowledge has never put anything in the back of his truck, EVER) doesn't need a monstrous full-size truck, if one at all.

You may have used your Ram for offroading, yard work, towing, hauling quads, blah blah blah, but LOTS OF PICKUP TRUCK BUYERS DON'T. I think, based on my own experience, it may even be most.
Even so, you can't base that on what you see on your way to work.  I don't know anybody who carries a load in their truck to work.

QuoteI think smaller trucks like the Commodore Ute could easily supplant full-size trucks for MANY truck buyers.
Sure, except that it can only seat 2 people.  I wouldn't buy one, just because of that.  They would have to build a 4 door version which they never will.

akuma_supreme

For my money, I don't think that a car-based `ute will ever be more than a niche model at best.  The fuel-economy is not much better than a standard truck, and they still take-up a pretty good-sized piece of real-estate, meaning they really aren't much more maneuverable in real-world circumstances.

SVT666

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 09, 2008, 02:34:00 PM
For my money, I don't think that a car-based `ute will ever be more than a niche model at best.  The fuel-economy is not much better than a standard truck, and they still take-up a pretty good-sized piece of real-estate, meaning they really aren't much more maneuverable in real-world circumstances.

:nutty:

93JC

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 09, 2008, 02:26:17 PM
Even so, you can't base that on what you see on your way to work.  I don't know anybody who carries a load in their truck to work.

Then why drive the damned thing to work!?! Where's the line between "needing" a big pickup and wanting some toy for hauling shit a few times a year?

QuoteSure, except that it can only seat 2 people.  I wouldn't buy one, just because of that.  They would have to build a 4 door version which they never will.

I know I know, it's the old VZ, but I don't see why they couldn't make a VE.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on April 09, 2008, 05:27:13 PM
Then why drive the damned thing to work!?!
Because I'm not going to buy another car just to drive to work.  That's financially...stupid!

QuoteWhere's the line between "needing" a big pickup and wanting some toy for hauling shit a few times a year?
For me and for most pickup owners that I personally know, it's far more then "a few times a year".

93JC

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 09, 2008, 05:30:47 PM
Because I'm not going to buy another car just to drive to work.  That's financially...stupid!

Wasn't that the point of buying the Shitfire? :lol:

QuoteFor me and for most pickup owners that I personally know, it's far more then "a few times a year".

For many of the pickup truck owners I know, it's only  once in a while. In fact, the only person I know who regularly uses the bed of his pickup is my dad.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

93JC

The same Shitfire that went through... how many engines? :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on April 09, 2008, 05:42:12 PM
Wasn't that the point of buying the Shitfire? :lol:

Yes, and look at how that turned out.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 09, 2008, 05:50:48 PM
Yes, and look at how that turned out.
That's because you bought a bad car. Buying a cheap used car for commuting makes more sense than driving the huge truck to work.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

akuma_supreme

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 09, 2008, 03:23:56 PM
:nutty:
:orly:

So the man who bought a Sunfire by choice is calling me crazy.

93JC

:clap: to Mr. Hemi for being a good sport.

It's just too easy a target.

SVT666

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 09, 2008, 05:54:12 PM
:orly:

So the man who bought a Sunfire by choice is calling me crazy.

If you think one of those utes gets the same mileage and is as cumbersome as a pickup truck then you're a lost cause.

akuma_supreme

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 09, 2008, 10:43:03 PM
If you think one of those utes gets the same mileage and is as cumbersome as a pickup truck then you're a lost cause.

They're based off full-size car platforms.  This may shock you, but there are actually pickups smaller than this on sale in some markets- even the US!

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on April 09, 2008, 05:52:22 PM
That's because you bought a bad car. Buying a cheap used car for commuting makes more sense than driving the huge truck to work.
Not when you have to pay for insurance on both vehicles.  The reason I bought the Sunfire was so that I wouldn't put any more kms on my truck before having to return it because it's a lease.  Our Freestyle has a triler hitch and I can tow a utility trailer for most of the things I need to haul, however I made a conscious decision that some lifestyle choices were going to have to take a back seat to some other priorities such as having my wife at home for our kids for the next 3 years.  That means the truck goes away and so do a lot of our preferred activities.  If I was to have had a cheap used car for commuting during the entire 3 years I had my truck, it would have been more expensive then just driving the Ram to work every day...which I did.  You factor in the purchase price for a reliable used car that won't give me any problems ($7000) and insurance ($600 per year) and that is a total of $8800 per year.  That includes no oil changes, maintenance, repairs, tires, or anything else.  Just that $8800 is much more then the extra cost in fuel I paid for driving my truck to work every day.

SVT666

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 09, 2008, 10:49:31 PM
They're based off full-size car platforms.  This may shock you, but there are actually pickups smaller than this on sale in some markets- even the US!
We weren't talking about Ford Rangers.  We were talking about Ford F-150s and Dodge Rams. 

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on April 09, 2008, 06:08:30 PM
:clap: to Mr. Hemi for being a good sport.

It's just too easy a target.
:praise:

dinkeldorf

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 09, 2008, 10:49:31 PM

Dude - the utes get comparable mileage to the sedans. Similar weight, engine. Drag coefficient suffers but the frontal area, the bain of most pickups, is pretty good.