2010 Pontiac G8 Ute

Started by CJ, March 14, 2008, 11:15:13 PM

Catman

Quote from: Sprinterman on March 16, 2008, 12:33:59 PM
Well there was once a GMC Sprint, and here's a 454 powered one!

Those were cool.  I remember seeing a few when I was a kid! :rockon:

akuma_supreme

Quote from: 93JC on March 16, 2008, 11:51:15 AM
It is compared to 6.3 metre, 2.8 tonne Dodge Rams...

That's metric, isn't it?  Is that a lot?

What would that be in hogsheads?   :tounge:

93JC

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Catman on March 16, 2008, 02:52:28 PM

GMC Sprints are cool, but the 1980's Caballeros look so frumpy and cheap.

dinkeldorf

Latest from down under on this. Nothing new, just their perspective.  I hope this sells well to keep Holden viable but thing it'll have a hard go of it. A driver of this would get laughed at by clowns in those yellow coloarados dwarfing it.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=50199&s_rid=theage:ClassiePuff

Catman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 16, 2008, 10:44:56 PM
GMC Sprints are cool, but the 1980's Caballeros look so frumpy and cheap.

Yeah, they were sad as well as the Malibu's they were spawned from.

traumadog

Who knows how things go with CAFE rearing its head.  IF the mileage is much better than the Colorado/Canyon, I'd expect GM to push it more than the "smaller" pickups.

That being said, it's probably a better GMC (along with the ex-Torrent) than a Pontiac.
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

ChrisV

Quote from: Catman on March 17, 2008, 05:21:04 PM
Yeah, they were sad as well as the Malibu's they were spawned from.

Hey! I, like a lot of people, like those Malibus:

I love that car, but the rear needs to come down a couple inches.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

That's a sharp-looking Malibu, Mr. V. Assuming the bonnet-scoop is non-standard, I'd probably go for a flush bonnet, but overall that's very crisp. The colour and wheels suit it perfectly, too.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on March 16, 2008, 11:08:16 AM
......We all know that this isn't a serious load-carrying ute/truck, yes? The VE series of utes is intended more as a two-door Commodore rather than a truck with any significant load-carrying or towing abilities, especially the V8 models. The highest payload rating is for the base Omega V6 automatic ute; the lowest the SS-V V8 manual.

To use an analogy, it's like the Dodge Magnum wagon - it's not as practical as other cars in its class, and a great deal of its existence is down to the fact that it looks good.

It looks good?

And as far as I can tell, the Magnum was plenty practical.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Raza  on March 18, 2008, 10:39:49 AM
It looks good?

Australia is a country of dimwitted footballers wearing inappropriately small shorts, thongs and T-shirts. Such people like the look of utes. The Falcon ute can be had with a cab-chassis 1-tonne tray - that's the ute people buy when they actually want to put lots of things in it, whereas a V8 SS-V ute is more for the dimwitted footballer with money and nothing much more than their Versace sunglasses to sit in the back.

A Magnum (and its 300C Estate Australian equivalent) is by no means practical when compared to a Falcon or Commodore wagon.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13870.msg778007#msg778007 date=1205858389
It looks good?

The Magnum's cargo area is actually fairly large.  The sloping roof is more optical illusion then reality.  The side windows slope much more then the actual roof line and it makes it look like the rear portion of the roof is pretty low.

MX793

Quote from: Catman on March 16, 2008, 02:52:28 PM

My grandfather has one.  Mid to late 70s, I want to say '76 or '77.  Whatever the last year of the full-size A body version was.  His only has the 350, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

They should call this G8 sport truck  the "G8 SUV", or "G8 Sport Utility Vehicle". It deserves the title. All current SUV's will then change their designations to "Truck Wagons". Yeah, I bet that'll take a big chunk out of the sales of those abominable behemoths.  Nobody wants to drive around in a thing that's called a Truck Wagon. Ha! Idiots.  :evildude:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Schadenfreude

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 15, 2008, 05:22:05 PM

A dismal failure. No doubt this thing will suffer the same fate.

Wasn't the point of the SSR to test GM's new hydroformed stamping technique more than anything?  :huh:  I could've sworn I read that somewhere.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Schadenfreude on March 18, 2008, 10:49:44 PM
Wasn't the point of the SSR to test GM's new hydroformed stamping technique more than anything?  :huh:  I could've sworn I read that somewhere.

I have no idea. I was like 14 when they came out.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

2o6

Why do people call the SSR a failure, when it clearly was not trying to be a huge seller? It was a one-off car built by Chevrolet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 19, 2008, 10:10:12 AM
Why do people call the SSR a failure, when it clearly was not trying to be a huge seller? It was a one-off car built by Chevrolet.

One-off? :nutty:

ChrisV

Quote from: NACar on March 19, 2008, 10:12:16 AM
One-off? :nutty:

What he measn it was supposed to be a halo car bringing people in to buy the full size trucks. At that it worked. Numerous dealers described selling Silverados simply on the strength of having SSRs in the showrooms. It wasn't supposed to sell in huge numbers to a wide market. They sold as many as they had anticipated selling and used it's existence as an advertising budget. In that regard, it was quite successful.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

akuma_supreme

Quote from: Schadenfreude on March 18, 2008, 10:49:44 PM

That was part of the effort.  Like  GM's efforts with plastic body-panels though, the effort proved nigh as GM only half-supported the venture.  Hydroformed panels still proved too expensive to justify their use in full-scale production.

dinkeldorf

They thought about it but in production just the rails, same as the trailblazer/envoy/ranier/9x/whatever the oldie was called.

Nebtek2002

My concern is that these vehicles will be over-engined for an era of $3+ gas and too heavily optioned-out.

A bare-bones version with a 4-cylinder or smaller-than-currently-planned V-6 with "manual everything" would be an excellent choice for city delivery.

I don't need power windows, mirrors( the cable-operated adjustment system on my '77 an '78 LTDs worked just fine) and locks, 200+ horsepower, or automatic transmission, though the summers where I live are too humid for me to want to give up AC. As far as "audio systems" go, an AM-FM radio with a couple of good speakers and an external jack for an iPod is all I need.

What I need is a low liftover height, a full 6-foot cargo box and decent gas mileage.

A lot of the original '59-'60 full-size Caminos and the first and second generation Chevelle Caminos were stripped-down 6-cylinder models sold as a practical alternative to a big truck.

Somewhere around 1972, Chevy ( and Ford,too, with the Ranchero) made the emphasis on "sportiness" with ridiculously large and heavy engines and heavy electric motors in the doors and seats eating away at payload.
6s were still in the catalog, but the "hot" trim packages and a manual transmission with more than 3 gears required V-8s and power-options packages.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on March 20, 2008, 09:16:32 AM
My concern is that these vehicles will be over-engined for an era of $3+ gas and too heavily optioned-out.

A bare-bones version with a 4-cylinder or smaller-than-currently-planned V-6 with "manual everything" would be an excellent choice for city delivery.

I don't need power windows, mirrors( the cable-operated adjustment system on my '77 an '78 LTDs worked just fine) and locks, 200+ horsepower, or automatic transmission, though the summers where I live are too humid for me to want to give up AC. As far as "audio systems" go, an AM-FM radio with a couple of good speakers and an external jack for an iPod is all I need.

What I need is a low liftover height, a full 6-foot cargo box and decent gas mileage.

A lot of the original '59-'60 full-size Caminos and the first and second generation Chevelle Caminos were stripped-down 6-cylinder models sold as a practical alternative to a big truck.

Somewhere around 1972, Chevy ( and Ford,too, with the Ranchero) made the emphasis on "sportiness" with ridiculously large and heavy engines and heavy electric motors in the doors and seats eating away at payload.
6s were still in the catalog, but the "hot" trim packages and a manual transmission with more than 3 gears required V-8s and power-options packages.

Sounds like you want a Camry.

dinkeldorf

The problem with basic cars as you describe is that there's not much margin in it, especially given this is in import and the USD is going to continue to tank for the foreseeable future. I don't think the target buyers would be that concerned with fuel economy.

Nebtek2002

Quote from: NACar on March 20, 2008, 09:28:44 AM
Sounds like you want a Camry.

Perish the thought! Since when did that name attach itself to a practical city delivery truck?

Nebtek2002

Quote from: dinkeldorf on March 20, 2008, 09:32:25 AM
The problem with basic cars as you describe is that there's not much margin in it, especially given this is in import and the USD is going to continue to tank for the foreseeable future. I don't think the target buyers would be that concerned with fuel economy.

The toolwork should come to the US and this vehicle, with its marketing re-targeted, should be made in an under-utilized domestic SUV plant.

omicron

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on March 20, 2008, 10:28:10 AM
The toolwork should come to the US and this vehicle, with its marketing re-targeted, should be made in an under-utilized domestic SUV plant.

No stealing our employment!

dinkeldorf

Quote from: omicron on March 20, 2008, 10:34:38 AM
No stealing our employment!

I'm not sure at what production volume that would be economically viable. And an unfortunate reward to Holden for having the gumption & engineering nouse to keep at the large car RWD.

Sprinterman

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on March 20, 2008, 10:28:10 AM
This is GM's way of upping the production numbers for the OZ plants, and try and make them profitable. One interesting fact is the reason why they have car plants there is that Australia and New Zealand had closed markets (anything imported had ungodly tariffs applied to them) So GM, Ford, and Chrysler built cars in the land down under. These were ofter older models, that were upgraded through the years. Now it comes time that RWD is the in thing, and Aussie cars have been built that way forever.

Anyway, GM will not be producing these cars except for the weird and wacky world of OZ, and this is a way for them to squeeze more profit from a rather loss making division. They started doing this when the RWD Sedans went out of production in North America, and they exported "Caprice" and "Lumina" sedans from Australia to the Middle East.

Tave

Quote from: Nebtek2002 on March 20, 2008, 09:16:32 AM

Hear Hear!

:clap:

although I'd want a cd player in that head unit, but that shouldn't be a huge expense
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.