Coolant Disposal?

Started by BimmerM3, March 17, 2008, 03:31:03 PM

BimmerM3

I'm going to flush my coolant system sometime this week, but I need to know how I'm supposed to dispose of the used coolant once it's been flushed? Can I just take it to NAPA and be like... "here ya go!"?

Champ

In my county there is a station for recycling hazardous materials, and it just happens to be right by my house so that's where I take it.

I'd call an auto store, because they take oil for sure.  Probably coolant as well.

The Pirate

Leave it out in the yard for cats and small children.  Cool-Whip containers work quite well.  :tounge:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Coolant. Drain directly onto garage floor.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

I just flush it down the toilet. Poop can be toxic so I don't think I'm sending it any place that would hurt someone :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Poop is a different kind of toxic. Don't flush coolant.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

I drink it.  Better than Gatorade.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Psilos on March 18, 2008, 10:06:10 AM
Poop is a different kind of toxic. Don't flush coolant.

What if Mr. Chimp drinks coolant? Where does he perform his ablutions then?

eThirteen

Every city has at least one centre for hazardous material disposal. You can bring it there. Some shops/dealers will take in your used engine oil and stuff like that for free, just ask around locally.

As for me, I burn my used engine oil.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Raza  on March 18, 2008, 11:06:06 AM
I drink it.  Better than Gatorade.

The antidote for ethylene glycol poisoning is alcohol. They must cancel each other out.