Test drove a BMW 135i

Started by cozmik, March 20, 2008, 04:10:32 PM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 22, 2008, 07:11:58 PM
Sorry but there are too many 325's, etc in my area as it is. A sub-200hp BMW with patio furniture interior is what we would call "all show no go"

Yup.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

hounddog

Quote from: Raza  on March 22, 2008, 04:25:50 PM
I've never seen a single review of a car with Active Steering that didn't lambaste the system harshly.  It was so bad that BMW had to remove Active Steering from the sport pack. 
On the initial models, yes. It was unpredictable, and would try to put cars into an uncontrolled spin which was what we accident investigators call  "a bad thing."  But, after just a few months they worked the bugs out of it. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

sportyaccordy

Sorry but there are too many 325's, etc in my area as it is. A sub-200hp BMW with patio furniture interior is what we would call "all show no go"
But said Camry wouldn't come near the driving pleasure/balance of the 320i.  The Civic Si is slower than a Camry V6 but def. ore fun o drive

cawimmer430

Nice review. Take pictures for God's sake! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

I've dashed off to BMW of North America's website (and was immediately confronted by the vile X6 and its 'Sports Activity Coupe' marketing circle-jerk) and built myself a 135i.

I've saved a few hundred by specifying the non-metallic Crimson Red, put some of that towards proper black leather, added the aluminium trim at no extra cost, and avoided all the other options and whatnot. An MSRP of $37,125 isn't bad; hell, it's remarkably good considering what that car will cost me when it arrives in Australia.

Champ

We are talking about this car on my local Euro forum, and one guy did a nice little comparison.

This really was just for fun.

QuoteOK, so I loaded up some popular entry level euro cars with every option I could using the repective mfrs. online tools and here is what I found:

*Note that on every one I stepped up the engine/trans setup to the top level ie: the Audi comes with a FWD 2.0 turbo but I chose the 3.2 S line Quattro and on the BMW base is NA but the 135i gets the turbo, etc. I did NOT add stuff like bike racks, rubber floor mats, etc.

Audi A3
Base Price $25,930
Laoded Price $41,915 (3.2 Quattro)

BMW 1 Series
Base Price $28,600
Loaded Price $48,995 (135)

Mercedes Benz C- Class
Base Price $32,425
Loaded Price $47,310 (C350)

Porsche Boxster
Base Price $45,800
Loaded Price $73,320 (Limited Edition Boxster S)

Saab 9-3
Base Price $28,825
Loaded Price $42,950 (9-3 Aero, the 9-5 was about 2k more)

VW Rabbit
Base Price $15,600
Loaded Price $34,790 (R32 Only option shown on VW site was nav sys.)

Volvo C30
Base Price $22,950
Loaded Price $40,105 (I could have added WAY more, the Volvo options list is longer than the one you get from a new home builder!)

omicron

Choosing an R32 doesn't quite qualify as loading a base Rabbit with options, but I see the point he was trying to make.

sportyaccordy

Wow are those USD's??? A $50K 1 series????

Champ

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 23, 2008, 10:51:57 AM
Wow are those USD's??? A $50K 1 series????
Yep the 135 can get a lot of options...

Raza

The Toyota Camry is the ultimate driving machine because it is fast in a straight line.

You keep your V6 Camry.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=13951.msg784096#msg784096 date=1206391008
You keep your V6 Camry.

Agreed.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Call me crazy, but without the 3 and 5 door, I hate this car. I've always wanted a 118 5-door. I'll take the A3 or C30 (S40 and V50 included) over this.

CALL_911

Quote from: 2o6 on March 24, 2008, 02:44:37 PM
Call me crazy, but without the 3 and 5 door, I hate this car. I've always wanted a 118 5-door. I'll take the A3 or C30 (S40 and V50 included) over this.

They weren't dumb enough to bring the 3-door and 5-door here, because they know what's going to happen. C230K Sport Coupe? 318ti? It would flop.

And I don't understand why you hate cars that may be small, but perform very, very well. You're a kid, for Christ's sake.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 24, 2008, 02:46:49 PM
They weren't dumb enough to bring the 3-door and 5-door here, because they know what's going to happen. C230K Sport Coupe? 318ti? It would flop.

And I don't understand why you hate cars that may be small, but perform very, very well. You're a kid, for Christ's sake.

I'm not denying the preformance. Logic just tells me no.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on March 24, 2008, 02:36:48 PM
I am an elitist troll.

You keep your patio furniture and 4 cylinders of fury.

CALL_911

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2008, 03:20:43 PM

Wait, so you think a BMW interior is patio furniture? And you think a Camry interior is ?ber-HQ? :confused: :wtf:

And I'll keep my engaging car, which could kick the crap out of your family sedan in the twisties.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 24, 2008, 03:24:11 PM
Wait, so you think a BMW interior is patio furniture? And you think a Camry interior is ?ber-HQ? :confused: :wtf:

And I'll keep my engaging car, which could kick the crap out of your family sedan in the twisties.

What car are you talking about?  Do I need to remind you that you can't drive still?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Vinsanity

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 24, 2008, 03:24:11 PM

The BMW leatherette seriously feels like vinyl patio furniture. Maybe you were too distracted by the BMW badge on the steering wheel to notice. And I said nothing of the Camry's interior. I just think that for the price you pay for the BMW, you should get something better. High-grade cloth seats would've been much better.

QuoteAnd I'll keep my engaging car, which could kick the crap out of your family sedan in the twisties.

What car of yours would that be? The old Subie wagon that you complain is deathly slow?

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2008, 03:20:43 PM

I don't even like BMW. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on March 24, 2008, 03:29:11 PM
What car are you talking about?  Do I need to remind you that you can't drive still?

I'm talking about a Camry vs. an entry-level BMW. You might want to read before plunging into a debate. It usually helps.

I'm not supposed to drive. But I can say that I have driven a 3-series and a 5-series. In fact, I've driven a 5-series quite extensively. What exactly does that have to do with this argument? Are you saying that I should believe that a Camry handles better? Because I have driven one of my best friend's Camry SE, and the feedback is terrible, as is the roll, and the overall handling.

MrH, I know you're not exactly a member of my fan club, but don't talk out of your ass to try to prove a point just to antagonize me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2008, 03:30:39 PM
What car of yours would that be? The old Subie wagon that you complain is deathly slow?

Oh god, not "my" as in ownership. You know how Raza said keep "your" Camry V6? In the same way, I'm defending the BMW, so it's "my" object of defense?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 24, 2008, 03:44:33 PM
MrH, I know you're not exactly a member of my fan club, but don't talk out of your ass to try to prove a point just to antagonize me.

Get In The Ring.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

I'm not supposed to drive. But I can say that I have driven a 3-series and a 5-series. In fact, I've driven a 5-series quite extensively. What exactly does that have to do with this argument? Are you saying that I should believe that a Camry handles better? Because I have driven one of my best friend's Camry SE, and the feedback is terrible, as is the roll, and the overall handling.

I find it very, very hard to believe that you've driven anything, except maybe moving your parents' cars around in the driveway. If in fact you are telling the truth, then your parents are insanely stupid for letting a kid drive their expensive cars.

Hell, I'll admit that before I got my license, I was never allowed to drive ANYTHING in Canada. I drove a lot in India since I was 13, but it's very different over there. The first time I drove in this country was one week before I got my permit, on the family Camry, in an empty parking lot.

MrH

I'm talking about a Camry vs. an entry-level BMW. You might want to read before plunging into a debate. It usually helps.

I'm not talking out of my ass.  I'm making a point not to call something yours, and proceed to talk shit about it when you don't own it.  I'm not the only person who interpreted it that way either, by the looks of Vinsanity's post.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 24, 2008, 03:49:32 PM
?

Why do you look at me when you hate me
Why should I look at you when you
make me hate you too
I sense a smell of retribution in the air
I don't even understand why the fuck
you even care
And I don't need your jealousy yeah
Why drag me down in your misery
And when you stare don't you think I feel it
But I'm gonna deal it back to you in spades
When I'm havin' fun ya know I can't conceal it
'Cause I know you'd never cut it in my game
Oh no
And when you're talkin' about a vasectomy
Yeah
I'll be writin' down your obituary
History

You got your bitches with
the silicone injections
Crystal meth and yeast infections
Bleached blond hair, collagen lip projections
Who are you to criticize my intentions
Got your subtle manipulative devices
Just like you I got my vices
I got a thought that would be nice
I'd like to crush your head tight in my vice
Pain!!

And that goes for all you punks in the press
That want to start shit by printin' lies
Instead of the things we said
That means you
Andy Secher at Hit Parader
Circus Magazine
Mick Wall at Kerrang
Bob Guccione Jr. at Spin,
What you pissed off cuz your dad gets more
pussy than you?
Fuck you
Suck my fuckin' dick

You be rippin' off the fuckin' kids
While they be payin' their hard earned
money to read about the bands
They want to know about
Printin' lies startin' controversy
You wanta antagonize me
Antagonize me motherfucker
Get in the ring motherfucker
And I'll kick your bitchy little ass
Punk

I don't like you, I just hate you
I gonna kick your ass, oh yeah! oh yeah!

You may not like our integrity yeah
We built a world out of anarchy oh yeah!

And in this corner weighin in at 850 pounds,
Guns N' Roses

Get in the ring
Yeah!

Yeah this song is dedicated to All the Guns n' fuckin' Roses fans
Who stuck with us through all the
Fucking shit
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 24, 2008, 03:50:25 PM
I find it very, very hard to believe that you've driven anything, except maybe moving your parents' cars around in the driveway. If in fact you are telling the truth, then your parents are insanely stupid for letting a kid drive their expensive cars.

Hell, I'll admit that before I got my license, I was never allowed to drive ANYTHING in Canada. I drove a lot in India since I was 13, but it's very different over there. The first time I drove in this country was one week before I got my permit, on the family Camry, in an empty parking lot.

Good, so don't believe me. But if I add my impressions of the car that I have driven, and they are in line with what the rest of the world thinks, am I suddenly wrong, because you guys don't believe me? What, even if I have "supposedly" driven the car, am I supposed to think it's a blazing fast sports sedan?

And you think my parents are insanely stupid? Well, I beg to differ. That's all.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 24, 2008, 03:54:04 PM
And you think my parents are insanely stupid? Well, I beg to differ. That's all.

I said "if". Either they're stupid, or you're lying. :huh:

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on March 24, 2008, 03:52:14 PM
I'm not talking out of my ass.  I'm making a point not to call something yours, and proceed to talk shit about it when you don't own it.  I'm not the only person who interpreted it that way either, by the looks of Vinsanity's post.

Ok. Fine. I possessed it incorrectly. Now overlook that, and get on with the rest of the discussion.

Wait, I'm not allowed to talk shit about the Camry because I don't own it? That's actually laughable.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi