Panel Recommends Parent Classes, Stickers on Teens' Cars

Started by TurboDan, March 21, 2008, 12:40:45 PM

Raza

Quote from: sparkplug on March 26, 2008, 07:34:01 PM
I think they should paint the rear bumper yellow like in nascar.

Or big black Xs over the headlights like in the Caterham race series (to mark the rookies).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Quote from: Byteme on March 24, 2008, 08:51:55 AM
Overall I think it's a good idea, except for one point.

What if the car is used by the teen and adults?

Take it off? Most of the L and P plates here have either little suction cups to hold them to the window, or are made from a certain material that sticks to windows without needing adhesive of any kind, and doesn't stick together when pulled off.

Byteme

Quote from: omicron on March 27, 2008, 10:41:36 AM
Take it off? Most of the L and P plates here have either little suction cups to hold them to the window, or are made from a certain material that sticks to windows without needing adhesive of any kind, and doesn't stick together when pulled off.

So what's to stop the teen from pulling it off as soon as they get away from the house?

omicron

Quote from: Byteme on March 27, 2008, 11:03:38 AM
So what's to stop the teen from pulling it off as soon as they get away from the house?

Nothing? If they happen to be pulled over and present a Provisional licence but aren't displaying a P-plate then they can be fined, but I'm sure the police have better things to do than randomly pull cars over. That power would only be enacted if they already had the car stopped for some other purpose, like a breath-test or similar.

I'd estimate that the vast majority of Learner or Provisional licence-holders would display their plates accordingly, though - none of my friends take theirs off.

Raza

I think the stickers could give rise to cases of targeted, age discriminating enforcement. 

"15 cars going 10 over, I'm not going to hand out a ticket...Hey there's a teenager!  Give that guy a ticket!"

There'll be an age profiling uproar, since some teenagers are actually voters.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 26, 2008, 09:53:22 PM
Or big black Xs over the headlights like in the Caterham race series (to mark the rookies).

I'm pretty sure the taped Xs are to keep the glass from shattering all over the track in the event the lights get hit with a stone.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2008, 04:18:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the taped Xs are to keep the glass from shattering all over the track in the event the lights get hit with a stone.

Damn.  I thought I remembered Tom Ford on Fifth Gear stating that "X marks the rookie" in the Caterham race series he entered.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2008, 04:20:32 PM
Damn.  I thought I remembered Tom Ford on Fifth Gear stating that "X marks the rookie" in the Caterham race series he entered.

There may be an X marked somewhere else on the car or it may well be a Rookie marking, but seeing taped Xs on headlights is pretty common on vintage racers with glass headlight lenses.  Sometimes they completely covered the lights with tape instead of just an X.  You don't see it quite as much these days since most cars have polycarbonate lenses.

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Connecticut has passed its own version of this proposal, requiring parents to attend a class before their teenager may sign up for a road test (among other teen driving restrictions).

http://www.connpost.com/localnews/ci_9007901

Rell signs teen driving bill into law

KEN DIXON
Article Last Updated: 04/22/2008 12:33:06 AM EDT

HARTFORD ? Five days after the state Senate voted overwhelmingly to make young drivers ? and their parents ? more accountable, Gov. M. Jodi Rell signed the bill into law on Monday.

Starting Aug. 1, teens will double their training hours and risk license suspensions for a variety of moving violations.

Parents or guardians will also have to join in for two hours of classroom instruction before a youngster is allowed to take the driver's test.

Rell was joined by Conard High School students in West Hartford for the mid-afternoon bill signing.

She said the legislation will help save lives with increased training and stricter penalties for those who break the law.

It will move the midnight curfew for teens back to 11 p.m. for young drivers who are not returning from work, school or religion-related activities.

"We have lost far too many irreplaceable young lives in recent years," Rell said in a statement. "What makes these terrible tragedies on our roads even harder to bear is that every single one is avoidable."

Seven young teens have died this year in fatal car crashes, including five in Milford and Orange.

"This new law will strengthen our legal tools for training and protecting young drivers, and I believe it will help to save lives," she said. "Connecticut will now have some of the strongest graduated driving-licensing regulations in the country."

The law includes enhanced penalties ? fines and license suspensions ? for
moving violations and violations of the passenger restrictions, handheld cell phone use and the curfew requirement. Passengers not wearing seatbelts while driving with youngsters can also be penalized under the new law.
For teens getting learner's permits after Aug. 1, on-the-road training will be doubled to 40 hours.

The law includes:

l Six-month suspensions for first-time violations of reckless driving or racing for 16- and 17-year-olds.

l Sixty-day suspensions for speeding and 30-day suspensions for using handheld cell phones.

l Teens who violate the rules of the state's graduated license system would lose the privilege to drive for 30 days. To regain a suspended license, 16- and 17-year-olds must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to law enforcement officials and sign for it.

Rell said her Teen Driving Task Force, led by Robert M. Ward, Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and Dr. J. Robert Galvin, the state health commissioner, was responsible for much of the new rules.

"They did the legwork and the research, held the meetings, listened to the public's ideas and made recommendations," Rell said. "I commend the Legislature for this bipartisan effort. "I also thank the public for providing our task force with valuable input during the statewide forums."

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

MX, you're right.  The X goes on the bumper to mark a novice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i