Rented: 2008 Caliber

Started by SVT666, March 25, 2008, 09:32:54 PM

SVT666

The Highs:

- Very quiet, even at 75 mph.
- Infinity stereo system.  Chrysler has the best factory stereos in mainstream cars and trucks.
- Umm...That's it.

The Lows:

- Exterior Styling
- Interior Design
- Interior Materials
- Seats
- Seat material
- No padding on any armrest
- This CVT is the worst I've ever driven
- Engine falls flat at high rpm
- A-pillars are bigger then the ones in my Ram and are so far forward they provide big and dangerous blind spots
- Shifter looks like a bent nail
- Thirsty ($50 round trip.  Chevy Colorado used $62 for the same trip last week)
- Centre stack pushes against knee and pushes it 4" to the left of being comfortable.
- In 4 hours of driving, I couldn't find a comfortable seating position

Verdict:

POS  I can truthfully say this is one of the worst cars I've ever driven.

Eye of the Tiger

Haha, POS. Did you top it out? :devil: Should've driven the Fucus.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Hey, it's a POS, but it has a lifetime* warranty!

* Chrysler's lifetime
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 25, 2008, 09:32:54 PM
The Highs:
- Infinity stereo system.  Chrysler has the best factory stereos in mainstream cars and trucks.

As a proud owner of a vehicle equipped with Infinity Premium Logic Seven 7-speaker sound system, I'd like to say THANK YOU CHRYSLER!
:praise: :praise: :praise:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on March 25, 2008, 09:34:40 PM
Haha, POS. Did you top it out? :devil: Should've driven the Fucus.
Our company's policy is we rent cars when we need to drive more then 100 kms out of town.  It's cheaper for them to rent then to pay us for kilometers.  I like it better too because it's less mileage on my car.

2o6

I think the Caliber is attractive on the inside, and the exterior design look great.

Sadly, the materials suck and pretty much everything on your list are problems with the car.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on March 25, 2008, 09:46:01 PM
I think the Caliber is attractive on the inside, and the exterior design look great.

What is it with you and ugly cars?

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

I wonder how the Caliper compares to the Liberty... I drove an '08 Liberty rental, and I decided that it was the worst vehicle I had ever driven. They must be pretty close.

J86

Quote from: NACar on March 25, 2008, 09:48:50 PM
I wonder how the Caliper compares to the Liberty... I drove an '08 Liberty rental, and I decided that it was the worst vehicle I had ever driven. They must be pretty close.
I had a rental Liberty in Jan, it was god-awful

the Teuton

While I didn't like the Magnum, I didn't hate it by any stretch, either.  These must be truly terrible vehicles. 
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on March 25, 2008, 09:48:25 PM
Ugly is subjective.

Style is subjective.

Fashion is temporary.

Beauty is skin deep.

But ugly cuts to the bone, my friend.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 25, 2008, 09:41:00 PM
Our company's policy is we rent cars when we need to drive more then 100 kms out of town.  It's cheaper for them to rent then to pay us for kilometers.  I like it better too because it's less mileage on my car.

That's cool. Do you think you'll get to rent lots of different cars, or do they just like to stick you with Calipers?

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on March 25, 2008, 11:06:07 PM
That's cool. Do you think you'll get to rent lots of different cars, or do they just like to stick you with Calipers?
Last week I got a Chevy Colorado.  Next week could be a Pontiac G6, which I saw sitting out front there this morning.

ifcar

Interesting that you thought it was quiet. I've always found the Caliber, especially the CVT models that keep the RPM constantly high under acceleration, to be a rather noisy little thing. I suppose at high speeds the CVT can keep engine ruckus relatively muted, but you first have to get there.

Which engine did you have?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Laconian on March 25, 2008, 09:36:13 PM
Hey, it's a POS, but it has a lifetime* warranty!

* Chrysler's lifetime

:clap:

Why did they even bother... how did they go from the Neon to this...

Secret Chimp

I knew I had a reason to hate these cars beyond their looks.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

Sheesh, what is it about Chrysler and big fat A-pillars?

You could hide a 30 story office building behind the A-pillar of my dad's Dakota.

the Teuton

Is there any reason Chrysler sucks at life right now?  ;)
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

akuma_supreme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 26, 2008, 06:17:12 AM
:clap:

Why did they even bother... how did they go from the Neon to this...

Maybe this is all part of some master-plan by Chrysler to drum-up demand for the return of the Neon as a "heritage" model.   :tounge:

What amazes me about the Caliber is how many I've seen on the road (even without Fleet stickers on the plates), even though just about every review I've read, and every person who has driven one seems to dislike it.  Just how deep are tte discounts on them?

TBR

It really is sad, the Neon was one of the best compacts in 1995, then they ignored it for 10 years yet still managed to replace it with an inferior product.

Secret Chimp

I've actually seen more Jeep Compasses here than Jeep Patriots. No joke. People are buying the dumber-looking one.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 26, 2008, 09:07:38 PM
I've actually seen more Jeep Compasses here than Jeep Patriots. No joke. People are buying the dumber-looking one.

Yeah same here.

CALL_911

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 26, 2008, 09:07:38 PM

I can't even remember which one is which. I don't even care. They both suck.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 26, 2008, 09:10:41 PM
I can't even remember which one is which. I don't even care. They both suck.

STRICTLY taking looks into consideration, the Patriot isn't half bad.

THe Compass on the other hand, is fugly

CALL_911

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 26, 2008, 09:11:42 PM

They may look all "Jeepy" but all I see is Caliber. And that's enough for me to declare them fails.

But the Caliber SRT-4 is kinda cool. I must admit.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 26, 2008, 09:11:42 PM

The Patriot makes sense. If Jeep were to do a cute-ute, the Patriot makes sense. More capible than the others in it's class, but still Jeep-ish in looks.

Compass......makes absloutely no sense.

SVT666

Honestly, I don't know how anyone test drives one of these cars and then buys it.  I would actually buy a 20 year old Ford Tempo over one of these.  Seriously.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 26, 2008, 10:50:24 PM
Honestly, I don't know how anyone test drives one of these cars and then buys it.  I would actually buy a 20 year old Ford Tempo over one of these.  Seriously.

From a man who once willfully bought a used Sunfire, that may be the most damning statement ever.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 26, 2008, 10:50:24 PM

I felt the same way about the Liberty. A Suzuki Samurai has better stability on the highway.