Rented: 2008 Caliber

Started by SVT666, March 25, 2008, 09:32:54 PM

IrishGuy

Chalk me up as another person who wonders what the hell Chrysler was thinking replacing the Neon with the Caliber.

I cannot for the life of me see how one becomes the other.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Submariner

Quote from: IrishGuy on April 09, 2008, 07:20:11 PM
Chalk me up as another person who wonders what the hell Chrysler was thinking replacing the Neon with the Caliber.

Drugs, alcohol, a combination of both?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

USA_Idol

I haven't driven the Caliber, but I've sat in one at an auto show.  "Cheap" came to mind when I got in the car.  Even in a compact car like this, that shouldn't be the overwhelming first impression.  Unfortunately for Caliber, that is exactly the impression it gives off.  The weirdly angular exterior styling doesn't help.

Given all the less-than-stellar reviews I've read about Caliber, I can't see why I should even bother driving one.  :huh:

akuma_supreme

Quote from: IrishGuy on April 09, 2008, 07:20:11 PM

I remember one of the justifications that DCX made for replacing the Neon was that it was too "girly" and they wanted the Caliber to bring in more male customers.  I think it backfired though, because most of the Caliber's I've seen are driven by women.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 16, 2008, 01:08:35 PM
I remember one of the justifications that DCX made for replacing the Neon was that it was too "girly" and they wanted the Caliber to bring in more male customers.  I think it backfired though, because most of the Caliber's I've seen are driven by women.
Not to mention, SRT-4 anyone? Plus the first gen Neon was a great auto-x car and was also apparently popular in the drag racing world. Chrysler needs to get it's head out of it's ass.

cawimmer430

I drove a Dodge Caliber Diesel about a year ago during one of those local car shows. The local MB dealer asked me if I could drive the thing through the town square during the traditional car parade. The cool thing about this parade is that usually people from the crowd, usually sexy girls, will want to ride with the hot cars. Of course, me driving a Caliber saw nobody want to ride with me.  :wtf:

I honestly thought it wasn't that bad overall though. Sure, the interior was cheap as shit, the car didn't feel that solid but I've experienced much worse (1990s Kia Pride, 1996 Toyota Tamarraw and 1990s Hyundai Elantra ring a bell?).

At least the VW TDI engine was good.  :lol:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

nickdrinkwater

The problem is Dodge's aren't cheap enough here.  The Avenger is barely better value for money than a Mondeo.

akuma_supreme

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 18, 2008, 01:40:05 AM
The problem is Dodge's aren't cheap enough here.  The Avenger is barely better value for money than a Mondeo.

If they gave the Avenger away, it still wouldn't be cheap enough.  With incentives, the Avenger competes against compacts like the Corolla, Civic, and Sentra.  Even at this price point its being slaughtered in the market.

ifcar

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 18, 2008, 09:32:55 AM
If they gave the Avenger away, it still wouldn't be cheap enough.

I'd buy it at that price.

akuma_supreme

ifcar

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 18, 2008, 09:38:54 AM
But would you drive it?   ;)

There are very few cars that run that I'd refuse to drive at the price of "free." And someone in my extended family probably owns all of those by now.

I've owned some pretty cruddy cars over the years. What I drive right now isn't so magnificent either. I certainly wouldn't have any trouble accepting a free Avenger as my new daily driver.

Would you?

Panama Jack

I went to Vegas about 1 1/2 years ago in one of these...

Holy craptastic. The interior was so hard if u just brushed against it u bruised.

Car was lacking in power as well. U had to gun it to get it to go anywhere.

I cannot believe a company would make a car like this. :nono:

Laconian

Quote from: ifcar on April 18, 2008, 10:31:34 AM
There are very few cars that run that I'd refuse to drive at the price of "free." And someone in my extended family probably owns all of those by now.

I've owned some pretty cruddy cars over the years. What I drive right now isn't so magnificent either. I certainly wouldn't have any trouble accepting a free Avenger as my new daily driver.

Would you?
If insurance, registration, and garage space were free I would accept it. But since that's obviously not the case, I don't think the opportunity cost of filling my garage with an Avenger would be worth it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

akuma_supreme

Would you?

Only if I could use it as a down-payment trade-in for a decent car.  Since I already own a perfectly good car (20033 Civic EX coupe), there is no way I would hold onto that vehicular abomination.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Laconian on April 18, 2008, 11:38:38 AM
If insurance, registration, and garage space were free I would accept it. But since that's obviously not the case, I don't think the opportunity cost of filling my garage with an Avenger would be worth it.

I would scrap it out. Maybe I could $200 for it.

NomisR

Quote from: akuma_supreme on April 18, 2008, 11:59:05 AM
Only if I could use it as a down-payment trade-in for a decent car.  Since I already own a perfectly good car (20033 Civic EX coupe), there is no way I would hold onto that vehicular abomination.

Man, a Civic from 18000 years in the future!  Pix pls!

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on April 18, 2008, 02:37:42 PM
He gave it to Honda who used it as the basis for the Euro Civic.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

USA_Idol

Would you?

I'd take one.  Avenger might be cheap compared to Honda or Toyota, but it isn't so bad that it is totally unacceptable.  Especially if it's free.  :lol:

akuma_supreme

Quote from: NomisR on April 18, 2008, 02:37:42 PM

Quote from: LaconianHe gave it to Honda who used it as the basis for the Euro Civic.

Actually, Honda started going way retro in the late 20020's.  The 20031-20035 looks just like the 2001-2005 vintage.   :tounge:

This car is identical to my car- right down to the same rims:

nickdrinkwater

I like the Civic.  The 5dr, though.  I don't like the styling but the cabin is really nice and the car feels very refined.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 18, 2008, 01:26:04 PM
I would scrap it out. Maybe I could $200 for it.

Chrysler cats are going for about $70 a piece now. I think Avengers have two. Radiator and condensor cores are fetching good prices too, and even batteries can get $7 a piece at a scrap dealer.

That car's worth at least $500 in scrap alone.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

omicron

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 18, 2008, 01:40:05 AM

The very same applies here.