Mercedes SL Black Series

Started by Submariner, March 26, 2008, 08:30:08 PM

Raza

Quote from: NACar on April 01, 2008, 12:04:54 AM
I don't know anything of this "hobby" you speak of.
I do know that this is a car enthusiast forum, yet you're trying to tell me you don't have to justify to me why you won't even take your awesome sports car out for a little exercise so you can do what you seemed to express a little bit of interest in when you said:

but I guess that's all part of your fake enthusiasum. You want to talk about idiocy? Idiocy is owning a car that is so above your means that you are scared to actually drive it. You have irrational fears of what could happen at a little autocross eveent, which is actually vastly safer than any drive on a public road.

Above my means?

Go fuck yourself.  I'm not used to the car yet.  I don't need to do anything with my car to please you.  You're just an insufferable asshole on an internet forum. 

Next time I won't be enthusiastic in case the Great Asswipe of CarSPIN comes to tell me what to do with any aspect of my life.  You want to see a Boxster autocrossed so badly?  Go buy your own.  Until then, I'll continue to drive my car the way I want when I can.  Hell, I don't even live with the car 9 months out of the year, and you tell me what to do with my car? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

ChrisV

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 01, 2008, 01:29:41 AM
I wouldn't autocross a Boxster :mask:

Why not? They are EXCELLENT autocross cars.

And I've broken-in two new cars at autocross. It's good for them, especially if they are enthusist cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 05:55:13 AM

[img]http://www.968.net/events/images/20001007rad_autocross_boxsters_600.jpg/img]

And I've broken-in two new cars at autocross. It's good for them, especially if they are enthusist cars.

Maybe if it's someone else's Boxster.  Not if it's mine!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 12:15:55 AM
Above my means?

Go fuck yourself.  I'm not used to the car yet.  I don't need to do anything with my car to please you.  You're just an insufferable asshole on an internet forum. 

Next time I won't be enthusiastic in case the Great Asswipe of CarSPIN comes to tell me what to do with any aspect of my life.  You want to see a Boxster autocrossed so badly?  Go buy your own.  Until then, I'll continue to drive my car the way I want when I can.  Hell, I don't even live with the car 9 months out of the year, and you tell me what to do with my car? 

Oh yeah, I'm the Great Carspin Asswipe. I should go fuck myself because I'm on a car enthusiast forum and I'd like to see you have a little fun with your car.
:rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

NACar, don't tell other people how to drive.
Raza, calm down.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on April 01, 2008, 09:09:19 AM
NACar, don't tell other people how to drive.
Raza, calm down.

Absolutely not. I will not stop trying to spread car enthusiasum. You should autocross your minivan, Iffy.

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on April 01, 2008, 09:11:46 AM
Absolutely not. I will not stop trying to spread car enthusiasum. You should autocross your minivan, Iffy.

It would probably be more fun doing it in a van than a Boxster, but the Sedona doesn't like to change direction.

JYODER240

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 01, 2008, 06:39:50 AM
Maybe if it's someone else's Boxster.  Not if it's mine!

What could possibly happen?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 01, 2008, 09:52:59 AM
What could possibly happen?

The wheels will fall off, the engine will asplode and you will fly off track into a ditch and die in a firey crash!
No. Actually, the worst thing I have ever seen at an autocross was someone driving way off course and straight into a curb. They had already pushed their car way beyond its limits, and the limits of the course. Things like that are a very rare occurance. IIRC, there was not significant damage to the car, and he was able to continue driving it.
The worst thing that has ever happened to a car of mine was I took a cone into my wheel well and the plastic liner got torn to shreds, but it was already hanging down and missing half of the fasteners - not really a big deal. Actually, I was thankful for the free weight reduction.

If you're scared off by that, you shouldn't ever touch a public road, because far worse things can happen to you and your car. The only stupid thing is that your insurnace will cover it on public roads, but they won't touch you if something happens in any kind of competitive event. if you autocross, it's best never to let them know what you're up to.

nickdrinkwater

I think I misundestood auto crossing.  For some reason I pictured it as some sort of rallying.

I would take my car on a track, but probably not if it was a new car I'd only driven for 3 months and done 1,500 mi in.

I think at the end of the day one should respect an individual's preference to do or not do as they they wish with their car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 01, 2008, 10:53:47 AM
I think I misundestood auto crossing.  For some reason I pictured it as some sort of rallying.

I would take my car on a track, but probably not if it was a new car I'd only driven for 3 months and done 1,500 mi in.

I think at the end of the day one should respect an individual's preference to do or not do as they they wish with their car.

The term "Autocross" is used differently in America. It's a course set up with cones on a paved lot, usually speeds are under 65mph. American "Rallycross" is exactly the same, but on dirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocross

I've had to do a lot of coaxing to get people to try autocrossing in real life, and over the internet just makes it harder - but when they try it, they love it. The hardest part is making them understand that it does not hurt the car - in fact, their ego will probably sustain the most damage at the end of the day.

JYODER240

Quote from: NACar on April 01, 2008, 10:47:05 AM
The wheels will fall off, the engine will asplode and you will fly off track into a ditch and die in a firey crash!
No. Actually, the worst thing I have ever seen at an autocross was someone driving way off course and straight into a curb. They had already pushed their car way beyond its limits, and the limits of the course. Things like that are a very rare occurance. IIRC, there was not significant damage to the car, and he was able to continue driving it.
The worst thing that has ever happened to a car of mine was I took a cone into my wheel well and the plastic liner got torn to shreds, but it was already hanging down and missing half of the fasteners - not really a big deal. Actually, I was thankful for the free weight reduction.

If you're scared off by that, you shouldn't ever touch a public road, because far worse things can happen to you and your car. The only stupid thing is that your insurnace will cover it on public roads, but they won't touch you if something happens in any kind of competitive event. if you autocross, it's best never to let them know what you're up to.

I've taken my car autocrossing, I had tons of fun but it wore down my brakes and tires :cry:

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

nickdrinkwater

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 05:55:13 AM

Yeah, but did you do your first autocross in a brand new 300bhp sports car that you didn't pay for?  A friend of mine is an experienced autocrosser, and even he's ripped off some bodywork by hitting a cone.  Insurance on my car is $3,000 a year, and I've never had an accident.  I'd love to replace a front bumper due to hitting a cone and make an insurance claim and see it rise back up to 5 grand a year. 

When I start racing, it'll be one something cheap, like a Starion or Conquest or 900S.  Something I don't really care about. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14020.msg792905#msg792905 date=1207069827
Yeah, but did you do your first autocross in a brand new 300bhp sports car that you didn't pay for?  A friend of mine is an experienced autocrosser, and even he's ripped off some bodywork by hitting a cone.  Insurance on my car is $3,000 a year, and I've never had an accident.  I'd love to replace a front bumper due to hitting a cone and make an insurance claim and see it rise back up to 5 grand a year. 

When I start racing, it'll be one something cheap, like a Starion or Conquest or 900S.  Something I don't really care about. 

...or a Passat.

Oh, BTW, a cone is not going to rip off your bumper unless it's already falling off. The likihood of damaging your car is far higher driving it on public roads. You really don't have any excuse other than the car might be too much for you to handle for a first race, but nobody says you have to push it 100% your first time.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 11:10:27 AM

I don't think insurance companies will pay out claims for an event that happened on a track (of which Autocross does fall in that category).  But along your line of thinking, that's even more significant; you'd have to pay for the damages out of pocket.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on April 01, 2008, 11:12:55 AM
...or a Passat.

Oh, BTW, a cone is not going to rip off your bumper unless it's already falling off. The likihood of damaging your car is far higher driving it on public roads. You really don't have any excuse other than the car might be too much for you to handle for a first race, but nobody says you have to push it 100% your first time.

I care about my Passat, and the tires and brakes are getting long in the tooth; an autocross event would finish them off and cost me a grand a few months before I turn the car in.  That makes a lot of sense. 

And, like I said already, I've barely driven the Boxster.  The car isn't beyond my abilities, I'm simply not used to the car yet.  It's idiotic to jump in a car that's of a different platform and leagues beyond the speed of anything else I've ever owned and go balls to the wall the first time out?

You say I don't have to push 100%.  Then I am missing the point of racing.  I thought it was to push yourself and your car to the limit and see where you break.  I can drive slowly anywhere, why pay entrance fees?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on March 31, 2008, 11:59:29 PM
So calling me Trep or worse than is the new CarSPIN hobby. 
:rolleyes:

I'm not ready to take the car out like that yet.  I've only done about 1500 miles in it, most of it fairly sedate.  You don't just hop in a 60,000 dollar car and put it in harm's way until you're sure of how it's going to work.  That kind of idiocy is the kind of thing I speak out against.  Besides, I'd rather be on a track. 

So here I am, being goaded into dealing with you and justifying what I don't need to.  You do have a talent. 

Harms way? What about a big, open parking lot will put your car in harms way? The brakes and tires will wear down after a while but those are easily replaceable.
You'd have to be a horrible driver to be able to damage your car while autoX'ing. You are the only car on track and can't get hit.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 11:40:49 AM
I care about my Passat, and the tires and brakes are getting long in the tooth; an autocross event would finish them off and cost me a grand a few months before I turn the car in.  That makes a lot of sense. 

And, like I said already, I've barely driven the Boxster.  The car isn't beyond my abilities, I'm simply not used to the car yet.  It's idiotic to jump in a car that's of a different platform and leagues beyond the speed of anything else I've ever owned and go balls to the wall the first time out?

You say I don't have to push 100%.  Then I am missing the point of racing.  I thought it was to push yourself and your car to the limit and see where you break.  I can drive slowly anywhere, why pay entrance fees?
The idea is to push your limits, not the cars limits...
You drive the fastest you are comfortable at, and then push a bit past that. You don't have to go balls to the wall.

And I've never seen a rubber cone rip anything off before. :wtf:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 11:10:27 AM
Yeah, but did you do your first autocross in a brand new 300bhp sports car that you didn't pay for?  A friend of mine is an experienced autocrosser, and even he's ripped off some bodywork by hitting a cone.

He's doing it wrong. :lol: 25+ years and I've never ripped off any bodywork. I've put black marks on the paint, and I've completely KILLED cones and never hurt anything on the car. And that includes other people's Porsches. ;)

Man, if I had a Boxster (or access to one), it'd be on the autocross track all the time. ;)

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

He's doing it wrong. :lol: 25+ years and I've never ripped off any bodywork. I've put black marks on the paint, and I've completely KILLED cones and never hurt anything on the car. And that includes other people's Porsches. ;)

Man, if I had a Boxster (or access to one), it'd be on the autocross track all the time. ;)

Yeah, but I'm sure you wouldn't cut your teeth in one. 

If you guys don't get that I care about my car then I don't know what to tell you. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 11:40:49 AM

It's also about fun, pushing yourself doesn't mean overdriving a car, and it also can mean learning the limits in a safe setting. And getting beter as you go. I've been doing it for decades and can tell you that you need to get out there even more as a n00b than as an experienced driver.

It isn't just about winning; as as a novice, it should be about increasing your skill level and familiarity with your car in a controlled environment. The whole point of being a novice is LEARNING how to go fast, not just mashing the gas and generally being an idiot about it. Go slow to go fast. The point is improvement, not trying to win everything the first time out.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 12:08:51 PM
It's also about fun, pushing yourself doesn't mean overdriving a car, and it also can mean learning the limits in a safe setting. And getting beter as you go. I've been doing it for decades and can tell you that you need to get out there even more as a n00b than as an experienced driver.

It isn't just about winning; as as a novice, it should be about increasing your skill level and familiarity with your car in a controlled environment. The whole point of being a novice is LEARNING how to go fast, not just mashing the gas and generally being an idiot about it. Go slow to go fast. The point is improvement, not trying to win everything the first time out.

Being an idiot is jumping into the deep end with a $60,000 sports car that I've barely driven.   

It's not like I'm not going to race it.  I'm just not going to race it this minute because Nick wants me to.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 12:06:03 PM
Yeah, but I'm sure you wouldn't cut your teeth in one. 

If you guys don't get that I care about my car then I don't know what to tell you. 

We understand that you have an irrational fear about hurting it, and as someone with experience, I'll tell you you woudln't hurt it. And it's the best, safest way to learn the limits of your car and become comfortable with it.

Raza

Man, fuck you and this irrational fear bullshit.

This is the same group of people who believe the parents of some kid who died in an M5 crash should be hanged, and when I show caution about a performance car, you say I have irrational fears. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

I think you have me confused with someoen else vis a vis that M5 incident.  :huh:

I'm merely adressing your concerns about learning to autocross and the yes, irrational fear of the car getting hurt. It IS irrational in that it is extremely unlikely to happen. It's more likely to get hurt sitting in it's garage.

It's ok to have an opinion, but when the reasoning supporting that opinion is faulty, it's equally ok to question the reasoning and re-examine the opinion. You make the statments on an open forum, I'm responding to them from the postion of decades of direct experience. You want to discount that direct experience just to have a hissy fit, then that's your perogative. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to the track. We're just countering unsupported statements with statements from experience.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 12:41:01 PM
I think you have me confused with someoen else vis a vis that M5 incident.  :huh:

I'm merely adressing your concerns about learning to autocross and the yes, irrational fear of the car getting hurt. It IS irrational in that it is extremely unlikely to happen. It's more likely to get hurt sitting in it's garage.

It's ok to have an opinion, but when the reasoning supporting that opinion is faulty, it's equally ok to question the reasoning and re-examine the opinion. You make the statments on an open forum, I'm responding to them from the postion of decades of direct experience. You want to discount that direct experience just to have a hissy fit, then that's your perogative. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to the track. We're just countering unsupported statements with statements from experience.

I didn't mean just you, but the forum in general. 

I'm not trying to discount direct experience, yet you never answered me when I asked you if you'd race a powerful sports car that you've barely driven your first time out. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

If you have it, you might as well have fun with it.  Just don't do it stupidly, which is what it sounds like you're trying to avoid.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!