Mercedes SL Black Series

Started by Submariner, March 26, 2008, 08:30:08 PM

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on April 01, 2008, 01:02:50 PM
If you have it, you might as well have fun with it.  Just don't do it stupidly, which is what it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

I originally planned on crashing into a tree at 170mph, but I thought perhaps I'd simply enjoy driving my car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lazerous

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 01:06:07 PM
I originally planned on crashing into a tree at 170mph, but I thought perhaps I'd simply enjoy driving my car.

Your original plans are severely hindered anyway. Isn't the Boxster's speed governed around 155?

The Pirate

Quote from: Lazerous on April 01, 2008, 01:12:59 PM
Your original plans are severely hindered anyway. Isn't the Boxster's speed governed around 155?

He'll obviously get a chip to eliminate the governor.  Don't be such a n00b.  :rolleyes:

:lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 12:45:38 PM
I didn't mean just you, but the forum in general. 

I'm not trying to discount direct experience, yet you never answered me when I asked you if you'd race a powerful sports car that you've barely driven your first time out. 

My first time out I was 15 1/2 and on my learners permit. So I drove a Pinto race car that I had bought and built. I was not given the opportunity to drive a real sports car on the track, though I would have jumped at the opportunity had I had it. Had someone told me that "go ahead, it's a low speed event and you can't hurt the car by hitting a cone," I'd have been ALL over it. You are far from a n00b at driving, so those concerns should be a non-issue.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: Lazerous on April 01, 2008, 01:12:59 PM

No limiter on Porsches.  Top speed is 169.  I rounded up.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 01:20:28 PM
My first time out I was 15 1/2 and on my learners permit. So I drove a Pinto race car that I had bought and built. I was not given the opportunity to drive a real sports car on the track, though I would have jumped at the opportunity had I had it. Had someone told me that "go ahead, it's a low speed event and you can't hurt the car by hitting a cone," I'd have been ALL over it. You are far from a n00b at driving, so those concerns should be a non-issue.

My cars are my most precious belongings.  They're pretty much all I've got.  I haven't done anything very significant in my life, my familial relationships aren't very good, and I don't do particularly well in school.  So excuse me if I want to protect them.  I don't tell you to take your newborn child skydiving.  And like I said, racing is in the plans, just not right now.  I barely have access to the car.  I've barely driven the car.  I've had it a year and between my dad and I it's only done 3000 miles.  I don't drive it in the rain.  Do you think I'm going to race it because someone on the internet tells me to?

Next thing you'll be telling me that I'm wrong for parking it far away from the store front when I take it somewhere.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rich

Forget this autocrossing shenanigans, you should jump it.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 01:30:42 PM
My cars are my most precious belongings.  They're pretty much all I've got.  I haven't done anything very significant in my life, my familial relationships aren't very good, and I don't do particularly well in school.  So excuse me if I want to protect them.  I don't tell you to take your newborn child skydiving.  And like I said, racing is in the plans, just not right now.  I barely have access to the car.  I've barely driven the car.  I've had it a year and between my dad and I it's only done 3000 miles.  I don't drive it in the rain.  Do you think I'm going to race it because someone on the internet tells me to?

Next thing you'll be telling me that I'm wrong for parking it far away from the store front when I take it somewhere.

No, you shouldn't do something just because someone on the internet tells you. You should do something because it will make you appreciate your "most preciouis belongings" more, and in a new way. You should trust the experience of others and put your irrational fears aside. How many times do we have to tell you that you are not going to hurt your cars on a little autox course?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JYODER240

I still fail to see what bad could happen while autocrossing. The worst thing i've ever seen is someone spins into a cone. Even then it doesn't do any damage. I think that if you're too unfamailar driving a car fast in a open parking lot you should be too afraid to take it out on public roads where there's other drivers and things that can be hit.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on April 01, 2008, 12:25:07 PM
Man, fuck you and this irrational fear bullshit.

This is the same group of people who believe the parents of some kid who died in an M5 crash should be hanged, and when I show caution about a performance car, you say I have irrational fears. 
Yes, because he was given a powerful car and went and crashed it in the middle of the night trying to do "high speed runs". :rolleyes:
We're telling you that there's nothing wrong with autocrossing your car. It's the safest way to test its limits.
Hell, some people autocross Ford Lightnings. Those things can roll over much easier than a sports car yet they flog the crap out of them.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

omicron

the Teuton

It's Raza's car, so let him decide how he wants to drive it.  My only piece that I'm going to throw in is that buying a bottle of wine for the purpose of letting it sit on a shelf is stupid. 

Back on topic:  The SLR is officially being discontinued as of yesterday.  I hope this car is better in every way.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2008, 09:44:52 AM
It's Raza's car, so let him decide how he wants to drive it.  My only piece that I'm going to throw in is that buying a bottle of wine for the purpose of letting it sit on a shelf is stupid. 

Back on topic:  The SLR is officially being discontinued as of yesterday.  I hope this car is better in every way.

Indeed. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

But then wouldn't it make all of the people who spent $500,000 on an SLR feel stupid if they could get better performance with a car that costs half as much with the same badge?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2008, 04:21:29 PM
But then wouldn't it make all of the people who spent $500,000 on an SLR feel stupid if they could get better performance with a car that costs half as much with the same badge?

They bought a top of the line Mercedes. They weren't really shopping for the "bang-for-the-buck factor," you know?

Besides, wasn't the SLR always outperformed by pretty much every other supercar out there?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on April 03, 2008, 04:21:29 PM

Yeah, just as stupid as all the Enzo buyers who are slower than 599 buyers.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: ChrisV on April 01, 2008, 12:04:05 PM

He's doing it wrong. :lol: 25+ years and I've never ripped off any bodywork. I've put black marks on the paint, and I've completely KILLED cones and never hurt anything on the car. And that includes other people's Porsches. ;)

Man, if I had a Boxster (or access to one), it'd be on the autocross track all the time. ;)

Black marks and chips aren't really much of a problem when you wrap your car in painter's tape.  And in AutoX, you dont' have to worry about people dumping oil on the track at least.