Cobalt SS: Edmunds

Started by Raza , March 27, 2008, 02:19:15 PM

Lazerous

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2008, 10:12:21 PM
I had three smileys.  I guess you know to disregard them when I'm just trying sound like I'm not being mean.

:tounge:

Two of which were demeaning and the other one was a creepy wink.

You know I love you Raza. :wub:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on March 27, 2008, 10:24:42 PM
I like the idea of having a cobalt blue Cobalt.  It would just be so damn literal!

Well, that does work better than it would with a Neon...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

nickdrinkwater

I like the look of this car.  They should send it over here as a 'halo' model for Chevrolet, even if it did compete a bit with the Astra VXR.

omicron

Sounds like a fun car, especially for the price.

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on March 27, 2008, 10:38:52 PM
It means I'd drive one.
I thought it meant you would do it up the tail pipe.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 27, 2008, 11:39:08 PM
Well, that does work better than it would with a Neon...

I'd love a neon day-glo pink neon.

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on March 28, 2008, 10:29:36 AM
I'd love a neon day-glo pink neon.
The problem I'm facing right now, is I have no idea if you are joking or not.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 28, 2008, 10:33:26 AM
The problem I'm facing right now, is I have no idea if you are joking or not.

There is no way that he is joking.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

And I'd like a black Black Label Bentley Arnage.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on March 28, 2008, 01:55:53 PM
And I'd like a black Black Label Bentley Arnage.

Too bad.  You get a lime green Green Label.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2008, 01:59:13 PM
Too bad.  You get a lime green Green Label.

:cry:

I can live with an underpowered Bentley.   :cry:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

I just forgot:  I don't think I will ever own a green car.  I cannot accept this green car.   :cry: :cry: :cry: :partyon: <-----(drinking out of depression)

2o6

.......Yes I was joking.

But to be contrary, I would OWN (Not necessarily a DD) a supercar or some sort of really fast car in an unlikely color, possibly pink.

omicron

Quote from: 2o6 on March 28, 2008, 02:10:15 PM
.......Yes I was joking.

But to be contrary, I would OWN (Not necessarily a DD) a supercar or some sort of really fast car in an unlikely color, possibly pink.

hotrodalex

I'll take that aqua & orange Commodore.

omicron

Quote from: hotrodalex on March 29, 2008, 10:13:58 AM
I'll take that aqua & orange Commodore.

FPV (Ford Performance Vehicles) GT, actually. The stormclouds of Ford are forming above your head!

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on March 30, 2008, 09:45:42 AM
FPV (Ford Performance Vehicles) GT, actually. The stormclouds of Ford are forming above your head!
I love the FPV GT.  I want one so bad it hurts.

omicron

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 30, 2008, 10:30:27 AM
I love the FPV GT.  I want one so bad it hurts.

I applaud whomever decided to apply the sticker package to the V8 range - the side-stripes and bonnet decals hint at the wonderful muscle cars of old.

The 5.4 V8 soundtrack is just delightful, too.

Raza

Anyway, returning from the land down under...

Do you think this car has a serious chance at stealing sales from the Civic Si and GTI?  It seems far more convincing than the Caliber SRT.  I don't think I've ever seen one of them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14030.msg790616#msg790616 date=1206899192
Anyway, returning from the land down under...

Do you think this car has a serious chance at stealing sales from the Civic Si and GTI?  It seems far more convincing than the Caliber SRT.  I don't think I've ever seen one of them.

Realistically, I doubt it.  It is nice though but I think in the looks department the Civic Coupe is nicer looking on the outside.

Raza

Quote from: Catman on March 30, 2008, 11:58:15 AM
Realistically, I doubt it.  It is nice though but I think in the looks department the Civic Coupe is nicer looking on the outside.

The GTI has it on practicality, so if that's the main concern it doesn't have a chance.

But I think it looks better than the Civic Si, it's significantly faster, has a more conventional interior, is cheaper, and has comparable fuel efficiency and likely cheaper insurance.  If people can get over brand bias (and that is the big if) then it shouldn't have a problem unless it's not as sharp as the CSi, which is a distinct possibility.  But then again, most people are happy with a car that isn't all that sharp as long as it's fast.  Advertising the Cobalt SS directly against the CSi would help to put it in people's minds, since Honda isn't going to say "Hey, that Cobalt SS looks pretty good" to customers. 

Can you think of any other direct competitors?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14030.msg790642#msg790642 date=1206900137
The GTI has it on practicality, so if that's the main concern it doesn't have a chance.

But I think it looks better than the Civic Si, it's significantly faster, has a more conventional interior, is cheaper, and has comparable fuel efficiency and likely cheaper insurance.  If people can get over brand bias (and that is the big if) then it shouldn't have a problem unless it's not as sharp as the CSi, which is a distinct possibility.  But then again, most people are happy with a car that isn't all that sharp as long as it's fast.  Advertising the Cobalt SS directly against the CSi would help to put it in people's minds, since Honda isn't going to say "Hey, that Cobalt SS looks pretty good" to customers. 

Can you think of any other direct competitors?

Mazda 3.  The GTI seems a little more upscale, isn't it more money?

Raza

Quote from: Catman on March 30, 2008, 12:09:14 PM

A base level GTI is 23K or so.  One with the Autobahn pack is 25 and change (very desirable package).  A CSi is 22-23 loaded (not a lot of options).  The Mazdaspeed3 is 23-24. 

But the GTI and MS3 are both hatches.  The CSi is the only sport coupe/sedan that competes directly, it seems.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Catman on March 30, 2008, 12:09:14 PM

The GTI is priced about even with the MS3.  Starting price is like a grand or so higher than the Cobalt SS

Others that might get compared that I can think of would be Mini Cooper S and Sentra SE-R.  The SS should have no trouble trouncing the SE-R and should be quicker than the Mini in a straight line.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

A friend of mine had a Golf.  It was pretty roomy, even in the cargo area.  I think I'd go with the VW or the Mazdaspeed.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 30, 2008, 12:12:41 PM
The GTI is priced about even with the MS3.  Starting price is like a grand or so higher than the Cobalt SS

Others that might get compared that I can think of would be Mini Cooper S and Sentra SE-R.  The SS should have no trouble trouncing the SE-R and should be quicker than the Mini in a straight line.

I forgot about the Sentra SE-R.

Oh, are they still making the Tiburon now that the Genesis coupe is coming out?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Catman on March 30, 2008, 12:14:47 PM
A friend of mine had a Golf.  It was pretty roomy, even in the cargo area.  I think I'd go with the VW or the Mazdaspeed.

Jeremy Clarkson fits in the back of a new one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza  on March 30, 2008, 12:46:30 PM
Jeremy Clarkson fits in the back of a new one.

I'm pretty sure I could make Jeremy Clarkson fit in my freezer with room for a bucket of ice cream.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on March 30, 2008, 12:46:12 PM
I forgot about the Sentra SE-R.

Oh, are they still making the Tiburon now that the Genesis coupe is coming out?

Genesis coupe is a 2010 model, IIRC. So I image the Tiburon would stick around for a while.