California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Started by ChrisV, April 04, 2008, 11:19:18 AM

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on April 06, 2008, 12:40:24 AM
As for whether or not it deterred street racing, maybe it didn't. But, then again, maybe a few more "raids" like this one will help to deter street racing. The social aspect of street racing cannot be overlooked and impacting the related social gatherings may also impact the racing itself. Like I said, a means to an end.

You think it deterred murdering as well?  I mean, they weren't doing that either. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Middle_Path

Quote from: bing_oh on April 06, 2008, 12:43:26 AM
Actually, it sounds pretty frickin honest. He wanted to be a dick and call me names instead of arguing the topic at hand. I can't stand that crap. I deal with people who want to call me names all day at work. I don't need to hear it from anonymous people on ther internet off duty too.

Actually, it sounds like you are one of those cops that are a dick. No wonder you get called names at work all the time. LIGHTEN UP, Francis!

You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

bing_oh

Quote from: Psilos on April 06, 2008, 02:09:49 AM
You mean from rich neighborhoods to poor neighborhoods? ;)

I wouldn't touch that comment with a 10 foot cattle prod...

bing_oh

Quote from: Middle_Path on April 06, 2008, 02:56:16 AM
Actually, it sounds like you are one of those cops that are a dick. No wonder you get called names at work all the time. LIGHTEN UP, Francis!

Yes, I am a dick. I put alot of work into it. Thanks for noticing.

bing_oh

Just for the record, I predicted the outcome of this thread a couple of pages ago...

Quote from: bing_oh on April 05, 2008, 12:44:24 AM
That's why I'm not getting into the argument. There's no point in arguing something with someone who already has their mind made up. This wouldn't be a civil debate, it would be a pissing match. That's a waste of time.

Whenever I go against my gut instinct, I regret it. One of these days, I'm going to learn from that...

Middle_Path

Quote from: bing_oh on April 06, 2008, 04:01:22 AM
Just for the record, I predicted the outcome of this thread a couple of pages ago...

Whenever I go against my gut instinct, I regret it. One of these days, I'm going to learn from that...

Never thought it might be you instead of others? You might want to learn from that instead.

Don't go against your gut instinct. Stop posting on this forum, thanks.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

rohan

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 11:45:42 AM
FUCK POLICE FUCK POLICE FUCK :rage:
Apparantly can't read rules of this forum- mods please do something with this post.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 11:55:26 AM
It seems like as long as the asshole police claims its purpose is street racing, they can do whatever the fuck they want, including confiscating your car and destroying it. Otherwise, I don't think modifying an engine is illegal unless it violates C.A.R.B. standards.
Mods....please?

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: NACar on April 04, 2008, 08:42:16 PM
I hear the police in california are trying to pass a law that makes possession of any car that's not a Toyota Camry a felony.
Right - the police always make and pass laws.  Brilliant.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Middle_Path on April 05, 2008, 04:52:58 AM
LOL....cops, always doing the best for the community. LMAO!! "Give me your money bitches" should be their motto instead of "to protect and serve."
Could someone who has a mod title either clean up or lock this anti police sullbhit?

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 05, 2008, 10:06:31 AM
They could do it with 25 cops, at the most.

If I was there, they could kiss my ass I leave (while revving as high as I could while following the speed limit) You can give me a ticket for tinted windows & no front license plate, but you're not gonna say I was street racing when I was parked in a parking lot.
And then you get locked up for fleeing and eluding- a felony.  Now who's being unreasonable?

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Middle_Path on April 06, 2008, 04:12:07 AM
Never thought it might be you instead of others? You might want to learn from that instead.

Don't go against your gut instinct. Stop posting on this forum, thanks.
Another brillant post from you.

~Chief Seattle

nickdrinkwater

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on April 06, 2008, 12:40:24 AM
People were not being punished on the mere assumption of greater crimes. Let's not forget that the violations were totally legitimate (if minor) in nature. We in LE work within the laws that are passed by the legislature. Sometimes, enforcement of minor laws is a means to an end in crime deterrence. Nor was the punishment unduly harsh. I strongly suspect that most of the violation cited were fix-it tickets, meaning that there was no real punishment if the illegal modification was corrected by the vehicle owner.

As for whether or not it deterred street racing, maybe it didn't. But, then again, maybe a few more "raids" like this one will help to deter street racing. The social aspect of street racing cannot be overlooked and impacting the related social gatherings may also impact the racing itself. Like I said, a means to an end.

There's also the concept of crime displacement. It's a shitty concept that says that, if you can't stop a crime, make it so unappealing for the criminal to do it in your city that they go elsewhere. It's not an overall solution to the problem, but it's a way to move a problem away from areas where it may have a greater impact on the community.

I don't have the exact quotations right now, but I specifically remember such "crackdowns" using the same basic techniques mentioned in Leo levine's "Dust and the Glory," (one of the most well regarded car history books ever written) about the 1930s hot rod scene in South California. I also remember a nearly exact description of the same sort of thing being done in the late '50s in Tom Wolfe's seminal work 'That Tangerine Kolored Kandy Flake Streamline Baby."The man being quoted was Ed Roth.

In other the words, the same techniques have been largely unable to deter street racing for at least 70 years.

My major complaint is that the minor infractions (by your own admission) actually comitted do not in any way justify the overwhelming use of manpower in this incident. If you want to stop street racing: you need to catch people street racing and prosecute them accordingly instead of wasting time and money issuing minor citations to large groups of people who aren't street racing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Vinsanity

Quote from: Middle_Path on April 06, 2008, 02:56:16 AM

HAHA good point :lol:

nickdrinkwater

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: rohan on April 06, 2008, 06:11:47 AM
Apparantly can't read rules of this forum- mods please do something with this post.

If you want to talk to someone who is really angry at the police, talk to any one of those guys who got their car confiscated just for hanging out in a parking lot. So maybe they had a few parts that violated CARB standards - talk about overly harsh punishment. I am angry for them, nothing more.

Quote from: rohan on April 06, 2008, 06:21:44 AM
Right - the police always make and pass laws.  Brilliant.

The POLICE have the discretion of when and where to enforce what laws, and if the POLICE truly find a law to be ridiculous, they can ignore it or try to get it changed. In this case the POLICE went out of their way and worked overtime just so they could be assholes to a group of car guys.

Quote from: rohan on April 06, 2008, 06:12:31 AM
Mods....please?

I know I'm not supposed to bash police in this forum, but in this case, those cops were major assholes. I have nothing against cops in general, I have nothing against the four cops that pulled me over in the last month, I just hate the asshole cops in California who are all too happy to enforce such ridiculous laws that are destroying the lives of innocent car enthusiasts.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2008, 11:32:13 AM
Rohan, thanks for the PM.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I like how he says shit about us but if we badmouth his precious police, he bitches to the mods to "take care of it". :rolleyes:
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 06, 2008, 11:32:13 AM
Rohan, thanks for the PM.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All that for calling him a hypocrite?

Was he simply trying to prove you right? It makes me nervous that guys with that short of a fuse are allowed to carry a badge. If it wasn't for the measured and intelligent responses of Bing-Oh in this topic, and if I let his actions influence my opinions of cops as a whole too much, I'd share some of the less civilised opinions that have been written here.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 06, 2008, 03:14:19 PM
All that for calling him a hypocrite?

Was he simply trying to prove you right? It makes me nervous that guys with that short of a fuse are allowed to carry a badge.
+1 :mask: :pullover:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Northlands

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  on April 06, 2008, 08:31:34 PM
I think it is.

I try to win a battle using the medium it is started in. ie: start with words, win with words.. start with fists... you know the rest.  ;)

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14133.msg798957#msg798957 date=1207535494
I think it is.

Once you get that .45 pistol, you're just going to shoot people through the internet when you get into an argument.

Raza

Quote from: Northlands on April 06, 2008, 08:38:22 PM
I try to win a battle using the medium it is started in. ie: start with words, win with words.. start with fists... you know the rest.  ;)

How do you start with fists without using words first?  Unless you punch a person as soon as they say something. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i