Can pedal-bikes get pulled over for speeding?

Started by giant_mtb, July 16, 2005, 07:02:28 PM

Raza

QuoteAnother instance of the police keeping the citizens safe. 

:rolleyes:
Eh, I've seen some bikers do pretty dumb things on the road.  Some of them deserve a ticket.
I've also seen a lot of dumb things done by drivers at legal speeds.  They don't get tickets.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

The thing I hate most about bikers is the road bikers.  They'll ride down a highway with 65 MPH traffic right on the white line.  Why can't they just move over a few feet so they don't piss off the motorists and don't cause an accident?!  :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I ride on a road I always ride as far right as possible...and that's more than enough room around here because all the roads have 5+ foot shoulders.  Roadies piss me off.

280Z Turbo

You're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk and riding in the gravel is slow.

giant_mtb

I ride on the sidewalk all the times...and I've never been yelled at or ran into anybody.

R33 GT-R

QuoteThe thing I hate most about bikers is the road bikers.  They'll ride down a highway with 65 MPH traffic right on the white line.  Why can't they just move over a few feet so they don't piss off the motorists and don't cause an accident?!  :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I ride on a road I always ride as far right as possible...and that's more than enough room around here because all the roads have 5+ foot shoulders.  Roadies piss me off.
that's why you keep a rubber hand mounted to the end of a broomstick so that when you pass them in your car you can roll the window down a bitch slap them across the head.
Dubbed:  Skanky Whore!

Raghavan

QuoteI ride on the sidewalk all the times...and I've never been yelled at or ran into anybody.
You did 38 on a sidewalk??

giant_mtb

QuoteI ride on the sidewalk all the times...and I've never been yelled at or ran into anybody.
You did 38 on a sidewalk??
No...when we do our highspeed runs we go on the road...much smoother and less risk of hitting peddy's.  ;)   But when we aren't trying to pass cars, we'll ride on the sidewalk.

giant_mtb

QuoteThe thing I hate most about bikers is the road bikers.  They'll ride down a highway with 65 MPH traffic right on the white line.  Why can't they just move over a few feet so they don't piss off the motorists and don't cause an accident?!  :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I ride on a road I always ride as far right as possible...and that's more than enough room around here because all the roads have 5+ foot shoulders.  Roadies piss me off.
that's why you keep a rubber hand mounted to the end of a broomstick so that when you pass them in your car you can roll the window down a bitch slap them across the head.
:lol:  :lol:

You shouldn't give me any ideas...

Me and my brother almost got in an accident because of one of those faggot roadies.  So we're going down a 45 MPH section of road with a 5+ foot shoulder.  There was a roadie on the right riding the white line.  But, we were on a hill...and we weren't aware it was a blind hill.  My brother was going to go around him, but as soon as we got a few feet past the crest of the hill, a car pops up out of the blind spot of the hill and my bro has to slam on the brakes and fall back behind the biker just so we can get back into our own fucking lane safely...and as we passed the biker, he had me flip him the bird out the window.  :rockon:  

Rupert

QuoteThe thing I hate most about bikers is the road bikers.  They'll ride down a highway with 65 MPH traffic right on the white line.  Why can't they just move over a few feet so they don't piss off the motorists and don't cause an accident?!  :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I ride on a road I always ride as far right as possible...and that's more than enough room around here because all the roads have 5+ foot shoulders.  Roadies piss me off.
*smack* :angry:
Obviously, you've never ridden a road bike very far. You try riding through the debris on the side of the road with skinny tires like that, and you'll see why roadies like to ride in the road. As a (former :( ) roadie/xc-er/"all mountain" rider, I must say that I really don't think it helps anyone to dislike another type of rider.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

QuoteThe thing I hate most about bikers is the road bikers.  They'll ride down a highway with 65 MPH traffic right on the white line.  Why can't they just move over a few feet so they don't piss off the motorists and don't cause an accident?!  :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I ride on a road I always ride as far right as possible...and that's more than enough room around here because all the roads have 5+ foot shoulders.  Roadies piss me off.
*smack* :angry:
Obviously, you've never ridden a road bike very far. You try riding through the debris on the side of the road with skinny tires like that, and you'll see why roadies like to ride in the road. As a (former :( ) roadie/xc-er/"all mountain" rider, I must say that I really don't think it helps anyone to dislike another type of rider.
Of course not, but when all of your roads have 5 foot (and bigger) shoulders, don't you think those damn roadies could get off the white line?  I've ridden down all the roads the roadies do and there is very little debris 3 feet from the white line...it's so annoying.  (the shoulders here are big because it makes it a lot easier for plowing in the winter and stuff like that...and they're always very clear)

Rupert

Lemme turn the tables a little: I don't like freeriders because they destroy and create their own trails. Why can't they just ride on the same trails everyone else uses? :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I want to ride in the forest, I use the trails provided so I don't do furtehr damage tot he ecosystem. Freeriders piss me off.

Roadies have their reasons for riding on the white line, just like freeriders have their reasons for not riding on trails. Often roadies feel like they're in the minority because they're on bikes while everyone else is driving. They want to assert themselves. Except for the very dense few, most roadies will move over (if they can) when they hear a car coming. Even so, road bikers have stuff thrown at them, mean words shouted at them, and cars almost hit them on purpose. You may have had a bad experience once or twice with road bikers, just like I've had a bad experience with freeriders once or twice, but that does not make all roadies or freeriders bad.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GMPenguin

QuoteI assume that police theoretically can ticket bicyclists, but wouldn't unless they were behaving unsafely. Running a red light in the city would be behaving unsafely, but I don't think managing to go over the speed limit down the side of a road would qualify.
I think our cops are too stupid to know if they can or can't ticket bikers, cause I don't pay attention to any of that crap, and am usually not even on the road if there's a sidewalk.  It's supposedly illegal to ride on the sidewalk on Main Street (some others too I think) but I do it all the time and have never gotten caught or anything (and yes, cops have been around during the aforementioned stuff).

giant_mtb

QuoteLemme turn the tables a little: I don't like freeriders because they destroy and create their own trails. Why can't they just ride on the same trails everyone else uses? :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I want to ride in the forest, I use the trails provided so I don't do furtehr damage tot he ecosystem. Freeriders piss me off.

Roadies have their reasons for riding on the white line, just like freeriders have their reasons for not riding on trails. Often roadies feel like they're in the minority because they're on bikes while everyone else is driving. They want to assert themselves. Except for the very dense few, most roadies will move over (if they can) when they hear a car coming. Even so, road bikers have stuff thrown at them, mean words shouted at them, and cars almost hit them on purpose. You may have had a bad experience once or twice with road bikers, just like I've had a bad experience with freeriders once or twice, but that does not make all roadies or freeriders bad.
Ehhh good point(s).  Freeriders do sort of blaze their own trails which isn't a good thing...so you're right, there's a bad thing that everybody does.  And, honestly, I've never seen a roadie pull over a bit when a car's coming...  <_<  <_<  :P  

giant_mtb

QuoteI assume that police theoretically can ticket bicyclists, but wouldn't unless they were behaving unsafely. Running a red light in the city would be behaving unsafely, but I don't think managing to go over the speed limit down the side of a road would qualify.
I think our cops are too stupid to know if they can or can't ticket bikers, cause I don't pay attention to any of that crap, and am usually not even on the road if there's a sidewalk.  It's supposedly illegal to ride on the sidewalk on Main Street (some others too I think) but I do it all the time and have never gotten caught or anything (and yes, cops have been around during the aforementioned stuff).
Yeah I don't think cops really enforce those don't-ride-on-sidewalk laws unless they see you runnin' down senior citizens.

Rupert

QuoteLemme turn the tables a little: I don't like freeriders because they destroy and create their own trails. Why can't they just ride on the same trails everyone else uses? :angry:  :angry:  Whenever I want to ride in the forest, I use the trails provided so I don't do furtehr damage tot he ecosystem. Freeriders piss me off.

Ehhh good point(s).  Freeriders do sort of blaze their own trails which isn't a good thing...so you're right, there's a bad thing that everybody does.  And, honestly, I've never seen a roadie pull over a bit when a car's coming...  <_<  <_<  :P
My point is simply that unity among bikers is needed if any of them want any positive change. If you want more trails to be open (and I know I do), it doesn't help to try to antagonize roadies.

SargeMonkey

I hit 38 on a bmx bike, the I relized the tires are rated for 18, I had a flat when I got home.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.