Road and Track takes a beating

Started by ArchBishop, April 09, 2008, 12:20:33 AM

NomisR

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 10, 2008, 08:55:12 AM
I am I the only one who would take a Boxster S Elise over a GTR any day of the week?
:ohyeah:

I haven't driven the GTR so I wouldn't know but someone on ET did say he has driven it and although it's crazy fast, it wasn't "fun" and I can actually see where he's coming from with that.  But then again, you have to take it with a grain of salt since it's someone with an Elise and Elan..

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NomisR on April 10, 2008, 11:43:31 AM

I haven't driven the GTR so I wouldn't know but someone on ET did say he has driven it and although it's crazy fast, it wasn't "fun" and I can actually see where he's coming from with that.  But then again, you have to take it with a grain of salt since it's someone with an Elise and Elan..

If anything his cars only further validate his synopsis

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on April 10, 2008, 11:43:31 AM

EVERY professional review that I've seen says it's fun to drive.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2008, 12:53:25 PM
EVERY professional review that I've seen says it's fun to drive.

Quote from: from ET

When on other forums, especially those of which seem to have a lower median age than this one, I have been getting chastised for merely suggesting that the new Nissan GT-R doesn't give me a woody. They bite my head off (despite the fact that I have driven it and they have not), when I offer that I found the GT-R not really all that fun to drive. They start spouting off magazine racing numbers and how it beat this car or that car and that all the magazines are loving it, yadda, yadda, yadda. I try to argue that faster does not equal better or more fun to drive, but I just get flamed.

The reasoning for my disappointment is that the car is just too capable to be able to use properly. Sure, the acceleration is fun, for about 5 seconds, then you have to jam on the brakes (and other cars offer more drama when accelerating), but the reality is that the sweet spot at which the car is fun is barely, if at all, approachable on the road. Below warp speed the car is dare I say, boring.
I have felt the same about other really fast modern cars too, but at least with some of the high end cars they look great and sound good too, and they can be a status symbol also, if you are into that kind of thing.

Sure you can take it to the track, but I think you have to be nuts to drive that fast without a cage and other proper safety equipment, just because you are on the track does not mean you are immune to a big wreck that can kill you

Nissan may have raised the bar, but IMO they also raised the fun bar too, making it harder to get to.

Anyhow, I found this article on www.lateralg.org and thought it hit the nail on the head. Not trying to turn this into a GT-R discussion, but that car to me is the poster child for this issue.
Enjoy

CALL_911

Quote from: JYODER240 on April 10, 2008, 08:55:12 AM
I am I the only one who would take a Boxster S over a GTR any day of the week?

No. Count me in that party.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: NomisR on April 10, 2008, 12:59:10 PM

In all fairness he did say PROFESSIONAL review. I'd expect to see something from one of the dozens of major rags from any other country.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 10, 2008, 10:11:59 AM
Title should read 911 Turbo and Z06 take a beating.

Yeah, but according to you, the Micra is better than anything else ever made.

:tounge:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 10, 2008, 01:22:25 PM
No. Count me in that party.

really?? I guess whatever floats your boat, but I've always found the boxters to be ugly as sin. That's just my opion, same with the carrera vert, but I find all of the other porsches really attractive, I even like the looks of the old 914 over the boxter, hmm I actually want one of those 914s the more I think about it  :lol:
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

NomisR

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 10, 2008, 02:11:42 PM
In all fairness he did say PROFESSIONAL review. I'd expect to see something from one of the dozens of major rags from any other country.

Yeah I know, I'm just posting what he said. 

I'm not going to expect anything but great reviews from the major rags anyways because all they care about are #s

Raza

Quote from: Sigma Projects on April 10, 2008, 02:35:50 PM
really?? I guess whatever floats your boat, but I've always found the boxSters to be ugly as sin. That's just my opion, same with the carrera vert, but I find all of the other porsches really attractive, I even like the looks of the old 914 over the boxSter, hmm I actually want one of those 914s the more I think about it  :lol:

Ugly as sin? 

You sir, need to have your eyes removed.  You no longer deserve them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on April 10, 2008, 12:59:10 PM

I think this is the most important part of his critique:

I have felt the same about other really fast modern cars too, but at least with some of the high end cars they look great and sound good too

So really, the GTR isn't "less fun" than any of it's competitors. It simply doesn't look or sound as good, which is fine: that's a legitimate point.

I don't understand, was he expecting Nissan to release a Miata or S2000 competitor?

And I don't get this:

and other cars offer more drama when accelerating

What is he talking about--more wheelspin? Less stability? A more violent "seat of his pants" feeling? Personally, I kind of like it when my car doesn't fling me off the road at WOT, but he's welcome to his preferences.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

NomisR

I think in a way, it's like saying, taking the best lines on a track isn't the most fun even though it may be the fastest.  You want to put the car in a nice controlled drift around the corners with all the G Force and screaming tires to bring out the child in you. 

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on April 10, 2008, 03:25:54 PM
I think in a way, it's like saying, taking the best lines on a track isn't the most fun even though it may be the fastest.  You want to put the car in a nice controlled drift around the corners with all the G Force and screaming tires to bring out the child in you. 

True, but that same point would apply to a Z06 and a Miata.

Every review I've read has had a section that says something like "So the GTR is fast, but is it fun? Do those lap times count for anything off the track?" The answer, so far, is always "YES!" even from the European rags.

It sounds like an agile, fast car with beautiful handling and great road manners. I'm not grouping you into this, but it seems like some people have only looked at spec sheets and decided for themselves that the car isn't involving, even though the people driving it say otherwise. :huh:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FordSVT on April 10, 2008, 08:52:23 AM
I can't really argue with a person who has little passion for vehicles. I'm no old timer, but I've been following this industry my entire life, and I've seen cars come and go. There will always be something faster, or cheaper. The only thing this means is that we'll see faster cars than the GT-R in this price range within the next few years, and we'll see cars approaching the GT-R's performance for a bit less money. I wouldn't be surprised if the base C7 will be a 450 hp car with an equal power to weight ratio as the Nissan. The next EVO will probably have 350 hp and a 3100 pound curb weight for $30,000.

I've heard lots of praise for the Nissan, but you're the very first person I've heard call it a perfect car that will never be equalled that simultaneously managed to diminish their interest in the car industry. Sorry for being blunt, but it's really short sighted. Someone else can come along with a 600 hp awd car that has all sorts of fancy computers and beat the pants off of the Nissan, it's not like they broke the laws of physics.
Well said!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Sigma Projects

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2008, 02:46:22 PM
Ugly as sin? 

You sir, need to have your eyes removed.  You no longer deserve them. 

I see them every day here in OC and I find them ugly, ok, I was a bit harsh to say ugly as sin, but I find them being one of the ugliest roadsters on the market. And people saying they rather have a boxster s over the GT-R? The front of the Boxster is good, but I just find the sides and the back to be extremely plain and boring, can't find anything to like about the back. I just can't see myself paying 55K+ for a Porsche (that i dont' even like the looks of) that sure is great around the track, but other 55K cars can probably beat it. Or some kid in his "suped" up ricer can beat me on a highway pull? Yea I understand that the Porsche will flat out kill any ricer on a track, but when spending 55K I feel the car should not have to bow down in any regards to some kid who slapped on a turbo on his 4banger.

Raza

Quote from: Sigma Projects on April 10, 2008, 03:51:48 PM
I see them every day here in OC and I find them ugly, ok, I was a bit harsh to say ugly as sin, but I find them being one of the ugliest roadsters on the market. And people saying they rather have a boxster s over the GT-R? The front of the Boxster is good, but I just find the sides and the back to be extremely plain and boring, can't find anything to like about the back. I just can't see myself paying 55K+ for a Porsche (that i dont' even like the looks of) that sure is great around the track, but other 55K cars can probably beat it. Or some kid in his "suped" up ricer can beat me on a highway pull? Yea I understand that the Porsche will flat out kill any ricer on a track, but when spending 55K I feel the car should not have to bow down in any regards to some kid who slapped on a turbo on his 4banger.

Do you want to race, then?  Because I've yet to be beaten out in my Box.  Granted, I haven't gone head to head with a Corvette yet, but you're vastly underestimating the Boxster. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2008, 03:45:26 PM
True, but that same point would apply to a Z06 and a Miata.

Every review I've read has had a section that says something like "So the GTR is fast, but is it fun? Do those lap times count for anything off the track?" The answer, so far, is always "YES!" even from the European rags.

It sounds like an agile, fast car with beautiful handling and great road manners. I'm not grouping you into this, but it seems like some people have only looked at spec sheets and decided for themselves that the car isn't involving, even though the people driving it say otherwise. :huh:

Well, another thing I think is about the electronic nannies, eg. stability control, AWD, etc etc sometimes takes out the raw excitement of just you and the car.  I personally prefers a car w/o any of those, I'd take a Zonda over an Enzo because I think it would be more fun to drive.. and it actually looks really bad ass too.

Oh and yes, it does apply to Z06 and Miata in some ways.  Personally, I think Miatas are really fun.  I almost considered getting an used Miata as a daily driver and it could be a cheap fun track car too.  At least with that, I don't have to worry about running into the dirt.  That's what scares me.

Tave

True enough. I myself prefer cars without ABS.

I'll be interested to read more reviews about this car. I bet we will be able to tell if the tech helps or gets in the way once we have enough time and opinions.

The one thing I'll say is this: Nissan sure did their homework. I got sick of hearing about the GTR in pre-production; it seemed like it took forever to reach its release date. How many videos were there of camoed mules lapping the 'Ring? Man there were tons. I really wanted to tell Nissan, "Put up or shut up. Enough already. Give me something tangible or get off the pot.

Well, their commitment is paying huge dividends, and I hope it continues. They worked hard and they deserve it.

That's why I'm getting excited about the Camaro. GM could be using its time to give us something really special.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: Raza  on April 10, 2008, 03:54:25 PM
Do you want to race, then?  Because I've yet to be beaten out in my Box.  Granted, I haven't gone head to head with a Corvette yet, but you're vastly underestimating the Boxster. 

that would be fun, but my car is in the shop (I want it back :( ), but I have a feeling that my friend's turbo civic (I know, don't laugh) could possibly keep up with you on the freeway. Boxster S's are not slow by any means, but they're definitely not the fastest.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on April 10, 2008, 04:21:04 PM
True enough. I myself prefer cars without ABS.

I'll be interested to read more reviews about this car. I bet we will be able to tell if the tech helps or gets in the way once we have enough time and opinions.

The one thing I'll say is this: Nissan sure did their homework. I got sick of hearing about the GTR in pre-production; it seemed like it took forever to reach its release date. How many videos were there of camoed mules lapping the 'Ring? Man there were tons. I really wanted to tell Nissan, "Put up or shut up. Enough already. Give me something tangible or get off the pot.

Well, their commitment is paying huge dividends, and I hope it continues. They worked hard and they deserve it.

That's why I'm getting excited about the Camaro. GM could be using its time to give us something really special.

Well, the thing is, i'm sure the tech helps, helps a lot.  And it seems from the reviews, it's not intrusive.  Either that, or it makes them look SOOOOOO GOOD, that they don't care.  I'm thinking 2nd part has a lot to do with it.

Sigma Projects

i was just really suprised when they showed how the drivetrain was layed out with the transmission integrated with the diff in the back. Has anyone else don that before? Just seems genius.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Sigma Projects on April 10, 2008, 05:09:08 PM
i was just really suprised when they showed how the drivetrain was layed out with the transmission integrated with the diff in the back. Has anyone else don that before? Just seems genius.

Not  with a front engine AWD car I don't think, but it's relatively common for RWD sports cars to do that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Sigma Projects

Really? Which ones, I wasn't aware it was common. If you mean MR cars, then yea I understand, but do you mean FR cars that have the transmission in the back?

CALL_911

Quote from: ArchBishop on April 09, 2008, 12:20:33 AM
The Corvette is a shit car anyhow.

First the VQ obliterating the N54, then the K-series being a vastly superior engine to any German 4-banger ever made, now this?

I'm confused, are you misinformed, or really that dumb?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on April 10, 2008, 04:55:23 PM
Well, the thing is, i'm sure the tech helps, helps a lot.  And it seems from the reviews, it's not intrusive.  Either that, or it makes them look SOOOOOO GOOD, that they don't care.  I'm thinking 2nd part has a lot to do with it.

Right, I was speaking more towards your point. I know it "helps," the question is whether or not it helps from an enthusiast's perspective. I think time will tell.

Either that, or you're right about #2 :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Sigma Projects on April 10, 2008, 05:24:18 PM
Really? Which ones, I wasn't aware it was common. If you mean MR cars, then yea I understand, but do you mean FR cars that have the transmission in the back?

The C5 and C6 Corvette does for one, and the Porsche 928 did, and even as far back as the "real" Bugattis, which all had rear mounted transaxles.

And yes, I mean front engined cars with the transaxle in the back.

But I think the GTR is the first AWD front engined car to do that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Sigma Projects on April 10, 2008, 05:09:08 PM
If the car had been well balanced from jump street they wouldn't have had to take such drastic measures...

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 10, 2008, 05:30:47 PM
The C5 and C6 Corvette does for one, and the Porsche 928 did, and even as far back as the "real" Bugattis, which all had rear mounted transaxles.

And yes, I mean front engined cars with the transaxle in the back.

But I think the GTR is the first AWD front engined car to do that.

I believe Ferrari has been doing it with their front engine cars (550/575, 456 and 599) as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on April 10, 2008, 06:53:13 PM
I believe Ferrari has been doing it with their front engine cars (550/575, 456 and 599) as well.

Yes, they have.

Sigma Projects

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 10, 2008, 06:46:24 PM
If the car had been well balanced from jump street they wouldn't have had to take such drastic measures...

I don't know many front engine AWD vehicles that have a weight ratio like the GTR does, isn't it pretty difficult to make a front engine AWD car to be less front heavy?

MX793, Soup DeVille: Oh, I didn't know that. I think I prefer the design, I would assume it eliminates some problems