My FINAL first car thread

Started by CJ, April 14, 2008, 09:20:29 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 10:24:40 PM

Maybe I don't want something fun.  I would like something fun,but it's not necessary. 

Did you think about that sentence before you wrote it?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CJ

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 16, 2008, 10:26:14 PM
Did you think about that sentence before you wrote it?

I did.  I don't really want something fun, but I would like something fun.  Having a like for something does not equal a want.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 10:26:56 PM

I did.  I don't really want something fun, but I would like something fun. 

Umm, what???
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TBR

Reality is that a Miata is not necessarily more expensive to insure than a Buick. I have said it a hundred times, do not think you have the insurance industry figured out, the Prelude is cheaper to insure than the Neon was.

However, I can understand that your parents might not go for it (mine wouldn't most likely) and that you might want more room. I wouldn't want to use one for my commute (and I have driven one).

Soup DeVille

Whatever.

I'm just pissed that we've put up with umpteen "my first car threads" just for it to come down to- drumroll please- a dark grey 2000 Camry LE.

Jesus Christ! This is not a car you bother other people about.

This is a car that you buy because you don't want the washer and dryer set to look too pedestrian. This is a car that when they get their registration renewed, they have to look at their old registration to remeber exactly what it is.
This is a car that people who don't give a damn about what they drive buy.

It should come with a short sleeve dress shirt, a cubicle, and a schedule of homeowners' association meetings.

sandertheshark

I wasn't paying attention.  He's getting a Camry now?  Is that the final decision?

CJ, no pics.  Plz.

CJ

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 10:49:15 PM
I wasn't paying attention.  He's getting a Camry now?  Is that the final decision?

CJ, no pics.  Plz.

We've had the Camry for exactly 8 years as of today, April 16th.

sandertheshark

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 10:51:33 PM

We've had the Camry for exactly 8 years as of today, April 16th.

So they're signing it over to you and your dad's getting a Passat - is the deal?

omicron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 16, 2008, 10:47:01 PM
Whatever.

I'm just pissed that we've put up with umpteen "my first car threads" just for it to come down to- drumroll please- a dark grey 2000 Camry LE.

This is a car that you buy because you don't want the washer and dryer set to look too pedestrian. This is a car that when they get their registration renewed, they have to look at their old registration to remeber exactly what it is.

It should come with a short sleeve dress shirt, a cubicle, and a schedule of homeowners' association meetings.

We started with Regals, Park Avenues and Continentals, only to end up with a Toyota Camry? This is very sad.

CJ

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 16, 2008, 10:47:01 PM
Whatever.

Look, I was given a budget of $5,000 and was sent to find the nicest car possibly for under $5,000.  I did just that.  Today when I get in the car to go home from school, my dad says, "Clay, this will probably make you vomit, but I've decided to get a sedan."  I proceeded to vomit.  I said that this isn't a bad thing and that I will try to find something economical while still pretty good to drive.  So, I did that, and asked my dad if he would consider the 2007 Passat 2.0T wagon with everything but navigation or a 2005 Passat TDI GLS with every option.  He said yes.  We will see what he prefers and then proceed to examine our options. 

Remember, it's not me that changes my mind, it's my dad.

sandertheshark

Quote from: omicron on April 16, 2008, 10:53:21 PM
We started with Regals, Park Avenues and Continentals, only to end up with a Toyota Camry? This is very sad.

Dammit, CJ, did you or your parents even consider poor Omi's feelings?

CJ

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 10:52:54 PM
So they're signing it over to you and your dad's getting a Passat - is the deal?

It'll still be in their name, I'll just be the primary driver.

CALL_911

Quote from: omicron on April 16, 2008, 10:53:21 PM

Not really, considering the Camry didn't stray TOO far from those cars.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 10:55:18 PM
Dammit, CJ, did you or your parents even consider poor Omi's feelings?

I'M SORRY! 

Will you forgive me, Omi?

omicron

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 16, 2008, 10:56:03 PM

I've a good mind to beat you with cured meats.

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 10:56:15 PM

I'M SORRY! 

Will you forgive me, Omi?

We shall see. I thank the kind-hearted Mr. Shark for his consideration of my feelings.

sandertheshark

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 10:55:49 PM

It'll still be in their name, I'll just be the primary driver.

So you're not getting anything.

The bad news is you don't really have your own car.

The good news is you don't really have a Camry.

CJ

Quote from: omicron on April 16, 2008, 10:58:11 PM
We shall see. I thank the kind-hearted Mr. Shark for his consideration of my feelings.

I do apologize sincerely!  It's not my decision, honest!!

:lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 10:55:01 PM

Look, I was given a budget of $5,000 and was sent to find the nicest car possibly for under $5,000.  I did just that.  Today when I get in the car to go home from school, my dad says, "Clay, this will probably make you vomit, but I've decided to get a sedan."  I proceeded to vomit.  I said that this isn't a bad thing and that I will try to find something economical while still pretty good to drive.  So, I did that, and asked my dad if he would consider the 2007 Passat 2.0T wagon with everything but navigation or a 2005 Passat TDI GLS with every option.  He said yes.  We will see what he prefers and then proceed to examine our options. 

Remember, it's not me that changes my mind, it's my dad.

Wait, i thought you were getting the Camry- whic is another thing entirely- I can forgive you for taking a hand-me-down,  hell, my first car was one too.

And I can't blame you for your fathers' tastes either, but I was under the impression all along that you were buying a car for $5000 or less.

CJ

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 10:59:11 PM
So you're not getting anything.

The bad news is you don't really have your own car.

The good news is you don't really have a Camry.

They will hand over the title when I turn 18. 

sandertheshark

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 16, 2008, 10:56:03 PM

American V8.  American V8.  American V8.  American V8.  American V8!

CJ

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 16, 2008, 10:59:26 PM
Wait, i thought you were getting the Camry- whic is another thing entirely- I can forgive you for taking a hand-me-down,  hell, my first car was one too.

And I can't blame you for your fathers' tastes either, but I was under the impression all along that you were buying a car for $5000 or less.

It's a hand-me-down, yes.  I can't afford $5,000...my parents can.  I have $420 right now, and that won't get me much.

Tave

My parents bought themselves new cars when I became of age, too.

But at least they had something cool to give to me. :devil:

It's all in good fun, CJ. A first car is always cool, simply because it's the first car. I don't care if you're driving a skateboard with a lawmower engine duct taped to it; it's going to be the ride of your life.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 11:00:27 PM

My Mr. Shark shrine grows larger and larger every day.

CALL_911

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 11:00:27 PM

Regal≠American V8
Park Avenue≠American V8
Continental=American V8, but it has FWD, and it's extremely boring.

Therefore, FAIL.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

A skateboard with a lawnmower engine duct taped to it would be quite fun, I would imagine.  Dangerous, but fun.

sandertheshark

Quote from: omicron on April 16, 2008, 10:58:11 PM

I saw a '63 Bonneville Sport Coupe today and thought of you.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 11:01:41 PM
It's a hand-me-down, yes.  I can't afford $5,000...my parents can.  I have $420 right now, and that won't get me much.

Take heart then.

My hand-me-down was a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

That was the FWD four-banger, not the RWD V8 Cutlass Supreme, mind you.

CJ

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 16, 2008, 11:03:40 PM
Take heart then.

My hand-me-down was a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

That was the FWD four-banger, not the RWD V8 Cutlass Supreme, mind you.

I'm excited to have the Camry.  I mean, it's a great car and I treat it extremely well.  I almost don't want to get another new car.  Getting another car means the Camry goes outside, vulnerable to the elements.

omicron

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 16, 2008, 11:03:19 PM
I saw a '63 Bonneville Sport Coupe today and thought of you.

I need a towel.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CJ on April 16, 2008, 11:05:43 PM

I'm excited to have the Camry.  I mean, it's a great car and I treat it extremely well.  I almost don't want to get another new car.  Getting another car means the Camry goes outside, vulnerable to the elements.

Why wouldn't getting another car mean selling the Camry?