Which do you prefer...

Mayo
17 (65.4%)
Miracle Whip
9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 24

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2008, 09:29:52 AM
... and i went to the olive garden last night!

Yes - of all the things to be snobbish about, restaurants is up there on the chuckle meter.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on May 04, 2008, 10:03:11 AM
Yes - of all the things to be snobbish about, restaurants is up there on the chuckle meter.

Nobody's being snobbish, I just think it's sad that the American consumer has been won over by shitty fake/processed foods and chain restaurants.  There would be more good food for all of us if people set their standards a bit higher and chain restaurants didn't take over the world.

And you've never acted snobbish about anything on here, have you Cougs?  Where does glaring hypocrisy rate on the 'ol chuckle meter?

akuma_supreme

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2008, 09:29:36 AM
i laugh at all the mayo people in the hospital because their mayo poisoned them

The poison contained in Miracle Whip is much more nefarious and takes decades to affect its recipients.  I have heard though that one early sign of degeneration manifests as a strong yearning for Olive Garden "cuisine".

Miracle Whip isn't all bad though.  You can use it as a facial cream!

http://www.ebeautydaily.com/miracle-whip-facial/#comment-64905

akuma_supreme

Quote from: GoCougs on May 04, 2008, 10:03:11 AM

Is there any chance any of you Olive Garden afficianados live near Milwaukee?

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31430

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2008, 09:29:36 AM
i laugh at all the mayo people in the hospital because their mayo poisoned them

Uh-huh. And then you visit the ward where they're recovering from tragic pop rocks/coke incidents.

Seriously, the things some people are afraid of...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

honestly, i was a bit disappointed at the chicken parm in my Tour of Italy at the olive garden... at one time it was an actual breaded chicken breast, now it seems to only be a slight step above chicken patty

the salad and breadsticks are still superb.  The speghetti (sub for the alfedo) and lasagna were also above acceptable  :praise:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

ironically i'm also taking my mother to the Red Lobster for mothers day... lol
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 04, 2008, 12:44:44 PM
Nobody's being snobbish, I just think it's sad that the American consumer has been won over by shitty fake/processed foods and chain restaurants.  There would be more good food for all of us if people set their standards a bit higher and chain restaurants didn't take over the world.

And you've never acted snobbish about anything on here, have you Cougs?  Where does glaring hypocrisy rate on the 'ol chuckle meter?

Ah, yes - silly me: an effort to spare us from chain food, and not high rollin' just to belittle people...

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on May 04, 2008, 05:28:44 PM
Ah, yes - silly me: an effort to spare us from chain food, and not high rollin' just to belittle people...

Ah, quit appropriate coming from the most consistently condescending individual on the forum. 

No "high rolling" here.  A neighborhood italian (or enter type of food of choice) place need not be snooty nor any more expensive than the comparable chains.  Often, they're cheaper than chains with much better food and friendlier service.  Sorry to say it, most chains have mediocre food.  There's nothing wrong with going to them sometimes, we all do, I'll eat at them if I'm pressed for choices, but it makes me "chuckle" that people consider them "fine dining."

r0tor

most of the true "fine dining" i've done on business trips have mediocre food in extremely small portions and snooty servers...

same with "5 star" hotels i've stayed in... give me a frikkin Holiday Inn or Mariott anytime, at leas they aren't crawling with bell boys looking to grab your shit so you have to tip them.  Not to mention the last 5 star hotel i was in wanted $15 per night for wireless internet service  :rolleyes:.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2008, 05:45:55 PM
most of the true "fine dining" i've done on business trips have mediocre food in extremely small portions and snooty servers...

same with "5 star" hotels i've stayed in... give me a frikkin Holiday Inn or Mariott anytime, at leas they aren't crawling with bell boys looking to grab your shit so you have to tip them

I didn't see the argument as being "fine dining" versus "mainstream dining," but as an argument between large corporate chain restaurants and locally owned and operated ones.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hounddog

I am ok with MW, but give me a good Helmans over it anyday. 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2008, 05:45:55 PM

same with "5 star" hotels i've stayed in... give me a frikkin Holiday Inn or Mariott anytime, at leas they aren't crawling with bell boys looking to grab your shit so you have to tip them.  Not to mention the last 5 star hotel i was in wanted $15 per night for wireless internet service  :rolleyes:.

Yep - give me a Holiday Inn Express and Quiznos and I'll never want for anything on the road.

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on May 04, 2008, 04:09:21 PM
honestly, i was a bit disappointed at the chicken parm in my Tour of Italy at the olive garden... at one time it was an actual breaded chicken breast, now it seems to only be a slight step above chicken patty

the salad and breadsticks are still superb.  The speghetti (sub for the alfedo) and lasagna were also above acceptable  :praise:

The only reason to go to Olive Garden is the salad and breadsticks, along with the deserts.  The rest is pretty lame.

J86

Quote from: GoCougs on May 04, 2008, 07:40:39 PM
Yep - give me a Holiday Inn Express and Quiznos and I'll never want for anything on the road.

Fuck that.  Every time I go into Quiznos I get someone who would make a sloth seem like Michael freaking Shumacher, yet for some reason I always try them again months down the road.  One day I will learn...

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on May 04, 2008, 05:39:34 PM
Ah, quit appropriate coming from the most consistently condescending individual on the forum. 

No "high rolling" here.  A neighborhood italian (or enter type of food of choice) place need not be snooty nor any more expensive than the comparable chains.  Often, they're cheaper than chains with much better food and friendlier service.  Sorry to say it, most chains have mediocre food.  There's nothing wrong with going to them sometimes, we all do, I'll eat at them if I'm pressed for choices, but it makes me "chuckle" that people consider them "fine dining."

The only draw that chains have on me is that they're more or less consistent. If you're in a new town and just want a decent meal, the Olive Garden or Applebee's is more appealing than some probably crappy local grease-house. Of course, I'm usually willing to poke around a bit until I find a good local place to eat...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

saxonyron

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 01, 2008, 09:38:42 PM
With baloney. Not bologna.

Baloney.

And 'Murrican cheese product. No swiss or provolone!  And don't even think about sticking in lettuce and a tomatoe! :nono:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on May 04, 2008, 07:40:39 PM

their smokehouse beef dip is still the best french dip sammich i have ever had... yummmmmmm

Raza

I've paid a lot for great food at a small restaurant.  I've paid a lot for bad food at a small restaurant (there's this gorgeous place, inside a restored mansion, $30 entrees...no taste).  But I've never got a great meal at a chain.  Decent, at best.  Consistency is right though; you pretty much know that you're going to get a decent meal.  That's why chains are so successful.  People want the same experience every time they go out to eat somewhere.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 04, 2008, 05:47:48 PM
I didn't see the argument as being "fine dining" versus "mainstream dining," but as an argument between large corporate chain restaurants and locally owned and operated ones.

Chain restaurants are often locally owned and operated, just paying a franchise fee to the main office. Their main appeal is in purchasing power to keep material costs down. Although some chains, like Ruth's Chris, are still expensive.

I don't care if I'm eating at a chain or a local restaurant, as long as it delivers what I want at that moment. And I'll go back to one that does deliver, regardless of it being a chain or not. This is one of my favorite Italian chains: http://www.bucadibeppo.com/ But I've also got a few favorite local Italian restaurants here in Baltimore. I've also had good food at Olive Garden.

I also like mayo AND Miracle Whip, and have no preference overall.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

Buca's is definately awesome... you need to go with a big group of people though to get the full effect

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on May 05, 2008, 08:44:34 AM
Buca's is definately awesome... you need to go with a big group of people though to get the full effect

Definitely. Especially if you sit at the Pope table where you can spin the table to bring the next meal up to you and you share everything...

One time, we went with a larger group and when one of the girls wanted to know where the bathroom was, the waiter took ALL the women at the table (and a few neighboring tables) on a tour of BOTH bathrooms...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Byteme

Applebees, Red Lobster, Outback, Olive Garden, etc.  Like most of you I've eaten at the them all and still contend the quality of the kitchen and wait staff is far more important than the name above the door.

Laconian

I find a lot of enjoyment in using Citysearch/Roadfood to find new holes in the wall with awesome food. I'm the opposite of a loyal customer, I'm always trying to see if there's something better/different out there.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

akuma_supreme

Quote from: R-inge on May 04, 2008, 08:22:03 PM
The only reason to go to Olive Garden is the salad and breadsticks, along with the deserts.  The rest is pretty lame.

"The Breadsticks Are Pretty good. . ."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EKZS4Jn6gRM

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on May 05, 2008, 10:58:13 AM
I find a lot of enjoyment in using Citysearch/Roadfood to find new holes in the wall with awesome food. I'm the opposite of a loyal customer, I'm always trying to see if there's something better/different out there.

Citysearch doesn't always work.  You look up certain types of food and you have some of the big chain restaurants at the top. 

But depending on the food, big chains aren't always bad, at least you can't really go wrong with it. 

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on May 05, 2008, 08:48:09 AM
Definitely. Especially if you sit at the Pope table where you can spin the table to bring the next meal up to you and you share everything...

One time, we went with a larger group and when one of the girls wanted to know where the bathroom was, the waiter took ALL the women at the table (and a few neighboring tables) on a tour of BOTH bathrooms...

yes... they are proud of their bathrooms for some reason...

GoCougs

Buca's in South Lake Union in Seattle is a hoot with a big group. I actually didn't know that it was a chain.

I've never been into fancy meals and/or restaurants - if but for nothing else than most times it's horrifically unhealthy. The only times I can tolerate it is with a big group, save sushi - the only food that gets me worked up for a fancy night out.

I'm not cheap, I just don't see the big deal. I'm as happy as can be with a cobb salad or good sub sammich.

akuma_supreme

So five pages in, it appears that mayonnaise is in fact the winner, provided that the Super Delegates don't throw the election results in some smoke-filled back room.   :tounge:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ChrisV on May 05, 2008, 08:27:21 AM
Chain restaurants are often locally owned and operated, just paying a franchise fee to the main office.

This is true only to an extent; Almost all large chains have corporate menus , corporate decor, and corporate mandated uniforms.