How do you protect your home? Security Systems, Dog, Firearm?

Started by 565, April 26, 2008, 06:08:52 PM

How do you protect your home?

Security System
4 (12.9%)
Dog
3 (9.7%)
Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Security System + Dog
1 (3.2%)
Security System + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Dog + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
All of the above.
3 (9.7%)
Other (please share)
3 (9.7%)
No protection measures
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

As I mentioned before I live quite close to the site of that brutal home invasion last year in Connecticut.  Sometimes at work my coworkers, a few of which also live close, talk about how they've beefed up security measures in their own homes in the wake of the incident.

It seems the 3 most popular routes that people took were either getting a security system, a dog, or a firearm (or some combination). We were discussing how each choice had some serious drawbacks and some advantages, and now months and months after people have made those decisions, we reflected on whether our choice was too much trouble for it's worth.  Some of the people who got security systems had alot of false alarms, and the thing was so sensitive that they often left it off at night (basically making it worthless).  However we agreed it was probably the best in terms of being effective.

Some people actually got dogs, which was probably due to the fact that some member in the family wanted a dog to begin with.  I live alone and no one would be there to take care of a dog for me, plus I'm highly allergic to pet dander so that was not a choice possible for me.  Basically security may have been the reason for originally getting the dog, but basically that completely fades to nothing after they actually get their dog.  They all love the dog to death, which is good for the family, but I wonder how effective it would be when people actually invade.

I personally went the firearm route, combined with a motion detector that beeps if anyone appoarches the bedroom.  I figure I'd just let them take whatever as long as they don't enter my bedroom, because it's not worth getting into a shoot out over some stuff.  I think it's the cheapest and least hassle route, but I also think it only is effective in the most extreme moments, and I have doubts on my ability to wake up and actually defend myself.  The downside is that I sorta feel awkward mentioning it to my buddies and co-workers because as with most of the scientific community, they are the gun hating liberal kind.  I pretty much agree with most of their views, but I still think that poor doctor down the street probably really wished he had a gun when those guys broke into his house.  I don't want to find myself regretting not giving myself as much defensive power as possible because of my idealistic principles.

So basically my plan is:  If I hear people break in, I'll grab the gun under my bed, arm the gun, call the cops and wait it out in a corner of the room away from the bed (I figure they'll think I'm in bed).  If they come through the bedroom door, they get blasted.  If they just take stuff and leave, I hope the cops get here in time because I'm gonna stay put.

So if you guys don't mind sharing, I wonder what your home defense plans are (not just weapons or dogs, but also the plan of action).  Has anyone actually had to defend their home against invasion?  It would be very interesting to hear about those experiences.

Tave

Family dogs are very good at protecting the house when the family is inside. Beyond that they can be pretty passive.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sandertheshark

I've got a security system but I know that doesn't do much against a clever or determined burglar.  That's why I have a handy collection of firearms.  My rifle would obviously be useless, and I keep my Glock in my car.  But I have grandpa's 1911 proudly displayed in the living room, unloaded but with a full magazine right next to it, and it's in easy reach of the couch.  So if I'm in the living room and someone's breaking in, I'll go for that.  But my first choice is the loaded shotgun next to my bed.

My plan of action really depends on where in my house I am, where the intruder is coming in from, whether or not the alarm trips, and whether or not I'm alone.  My basic plan is to let someone else call the cops (the security company or my girlfriend or whoever) while I grab the nearest gun and try and get the drop on the intruder.  I don't have any intention of shooting unless I have to, and if I do need to take the guy down I'd try and go for the legs.  I don't have any particular aversion to killing a burglar except the mess of paperwork and blood it would make.

Tave

Right now I've got a thin chain on the door, and a loaded AirSoft pistol (safety off, metal shells) and a small pocket knife, both in easy reach. I've also got a pretty sharp knife in them kitchen drawer and a bag of golf clubs in the closet.

My room at the new house has 4 rifles lined up against the bottom of my bedroom window, facing the back yard. Why? I have no clue. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2008, 06:45:41 PM

My room at the new house has 4 rifles lined up against the bottom of my bedroom window, facing the back yard. Why? I have no clue. :lol:

That's why I bought my thirty ought six, originally.

GoCougs

If someone truly wants to home invasion you, they will do it. Unless you carry heat 24/7, have your security system on 24/7, and have a pair of $5,000 guard dogs, your only real strategy IMO is not drawing attention to yourself, as my strong hunch is that most of these types of crimes are staked-out in advance (most of the below is for prevention of burglary).

1.) I always have the blinds drawn before I fire up the LCD TV or the PC monitor. I try to use my power tools inside or in the backyard.

2.) I'm diligent about having night lights on outside at night - the entire outside of my house is lit. I also have bright motion sensing flood lights that when triggered will light up the entire parameter of my house.

3.) I have deadbolts on all exterior doors (which I almost always have locked when I'm home - even during the day - which is more of a OCD kinda thing).

4.) I do have firearms, but IMO they'd be relatively useless unless you're carrying 24/7. And what's even far more dangerous is leaving firearms at the ready. My guess is that you're far, far more likely to get burglarized, giving a burglar an excellent reason to make the endeavor into a home invasion situation.

I can get to my firearms and get them loaded relatively quickly, and make no mistake about the fact that I will kill you if you're there only to take my DVD player. You break into my house your life is mine, and I will extinguish it with absolute impunity. But such fairy tales are false hope - they want to get you, it is highly likely that they will.

Even with all that, I'm not worried about it all. Such things are so rare and so mind shattering when they occur, that the chances of stopping it are 1 in 1,000 at best. I think I'm far more likely to get burglarized. Next fear after that is interrupting a burglary, or otherwise come home to someone lying in wait.

SVT666

Even though I have firearms (locked in a cabinet in the basement as per the law), I have a baseball bat behind the bedroom door.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2008, 09:43:14 PM
Even though I have firearms (locked in a cabinet in the basement as per the law), I have a baseball bat behind the bedroom door.

You guys have to keep guns in basements? What happens if it's a single-level house?

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on April 26, 2008, 10:01:06 PM
You guys have to keep guns in basements? What happens if it's a single-level house?
Firearms must be kept in a locked gun cabinet.  Mine just happens to be in the basement.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 26, 2008, 10:11:27 PM
Firearms must be kept in a locked gun cabinet.  Mine just happens to be in the basement.

Gotcha

Lebowski

I have an 80-lb German Shepherd, and I've thought about getting a gun (likely a Glock 40-cal) but never have, for various reasons.  My house has a security system, but I don't even have it activated.  I have a stick (actually it's called a shillelagh, it's an irish cudgel) in my bedroom that I figure I would use to whack an intruder, hopefully as xindra bites their arm.  My doors and windows are always locked, whether I'm home or not, day or nite.  I try to keep the exterior of my house reasonably well lit (I turn the front porch light on when I go to bed, and I have motion sensing floodlights in the rear of my house).

I'm pretty sure if someone broke into my home while I'm not home, my dog wouldn't bother them, which is just fine by me as aside from my car she's pretty much my most valuable possession, so as long as the intruder leaves her alone (she's shut in my bedroom when I'm gone) they can take whatever they want.  I have renter's insurance, and everything I own aside from my life and my dog is replacable.

I'd like to think she'd protect me if someone broke in and tried to hurt me, but the truth is you never know.  Most people don't realize, but most dogs, probably the vast majority of dogs (even large breeds) will NOT bite an intruder.  The value of a dog as a home defense tool is not the actual bite, but 1) the deterrant and more importantly 2) the fact that a good "watch dog" will hear an intruder and start barking long before you hear the intruder, especially if you are asleep.  For that reason, for most people what you want is not a "guard dog" but rather a good "watch dog".  Xindra is ok as a watch dog, she's generally very alert but she's also very confident so she doesn't get rattled easily.  If someone is, say, in our back yard she'll usually bark at them, but she's not one to bark at every passing stranger.  I assume if someone broke in at night she'd bark. 

Again, contrary to the opinion of many a dog owner, the truth is most house dogs will NOT bite an intruder unless they have been specifically trained to do so, and for most people a "personal protection" dog is really much more than they need or can reasonably handle (plus most dogs advertised as protection dogs are a complete scam, but that's another story).  Xindra has actually had some bite-training when she was younger, her breeder had her involved in a sport called Schutzhund (most GSD breeders have their dogs schutzhund trained) and she was apparently showing great potential at it, but I haven't done it with her since I got her and don't really plan to.  But you can't be sure even a schutzhund trained dog will bite an intruder, as it's more of a playful sport type setting than a real threatening environment.

The truth is, I'm a 27 year old single guy with no real valuables and I live in a good neighborhood.  My TV and my furniture are the most valuable stuff in my house and they aren't easy to walk out with.  I imagine any thief who did their homework on me would conclude I'm not a very good break in candidate (i.e., most single guys don't have a valuable jewelry stash).  I also don't know of anyone who wants me dead.  So in short, I'm not too worried about a break in.  I do think I'll probably eventually get a gun though.

Rupert

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 26, 2008, 06:37:51 PM
I've got a security system but I know that doesn't do much against a clever or determined burglar.  That's why I have a handy collection of firearms.  My rifle would obviously be useless, and I keep my Glock in my car.  But I have grandpa's 1911 proudly displayed in the living room, unloaded but with a full magazine right next to it, and it's in easy reach of the couch.  So if I'm in the living room and someone's breaking in, I'll go for that.  But my first choice is the loaded shotgun next to my bed.

My plan of action really depends on where in my house I am, where the intruder is coming in from, whether or not the alarm trips, and whether or not I'm alone.  My basic plan is to let someone else call the cops (the security company or my girlfriend or whoever) while I grab the nearest gun and try and get the drop on the intruder.  I don't have any intention of shooting unless I have to, and if I do need to take the guy down I'd try and go for the legs.  I don't have any particular aversion to killing a burglar except the mess of paperwork and blood it would make.

So, if you're in the bedroom and the bad guy's in the living room, what stops him from loading the 1911 and using it?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

Quote from: Psilos on April 26, 2008, 10:28:46 PM
So, if you're in the bedroom and the bad guy's in the living room, what stops him from loading the 1911 and using it?

The gun is black and its dark in there.  And I figure the Mossberg gives me the upper hand.

Rupert

I have room mates who are up and about at all hours, so I don't think I or they would even notice if there was someone in the house that wasn't supposed to be unless we saw them. Of course, since there's no real routine as to when people are awake and at home or not, I don't think our house would make a very good candidate for burglary or home invasion.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: sandertheshark on April 26, 2008, 10:31:26 PM
The gun is black and its dark in there.  And I figure the Mossberg gives me the upper hand.

I suppose, but why risk it?

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on April 26, 2008, 10:22:59 PM
I'd like to think she'd protect me if someone broke in and tried to hurt me, but the truth is you never know.  Most people don't realize, but most dogs, probably the vast majority of dogs (even large breeds) will NOT bite an intruder.  The value of a dog as a home defense tool is not the actual bite, but 1) the deterrant and more importantly 2) the fact that a good "watch dog" will hear an intruder and start barking long before you hear the intruder, especially if you are asleep.  For that reason, for most people what you want is not a "guard dog" but rather a good "watch dog".  Xindra is ok as a watch dog, she's generally very alert but she's also very confident so she doesn't get rattled easily.  If someone is, say, in our back yard she'll usually bark at them, but she's not one to bark at every passing stranger.  I assume if someone broke in at night she'd bark. 

Again, contrary to the opinion of many a dog owner, the truth is most house dogs will NOT bite an intruder unless they have been specifically trained to do so, and for most people a "personal protection" dog is really much more than they need or can reasonably handle (plus most dogs advertised as protection dogs are a complete scam, but that's another story).  Xindra has actually had some bite-training when she was younger, her breeder had her involved in a sport called Schutzhund (most GSD breeders have their dogs schutzhund trained) and she was apparently showing great potential at it, but I haven't done it with her since I got her and don't really plan to.  But you can't be sure even a schutzhund trained dog will bite an intruder, as it's more of a playful sport type setting than a real threatening environment.

I agree that, unless trained, a dog probably won't bite an intruder (and even the who knows?), but I bet you'd be surprised how quick she would rush to your side if someone assaulted you. I've seen dogs bite at a person horsing around with the owner, so I think out-and-out violence probably triggers severe aggression.

Like you said, their value is as a warning system, not a physical line of defense.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Psilos on April 26, 2008, 10:33:24 PM
I suppose, but why risk it?

I'm kind of in the same position as Lebowski where I don't really feel I'm in much risk.  But I do know from experience that having guns close at hand gives me the ability to defend myself, even against a criminal who also has a gun.

Rupert

Even after living with me ex-room mates' German Shepherd for a year, she'd still go after me if we were horsing around.

the Teuton

I have a 120-pound dog, and while she's just a big softie, she sounds pretty mean.  She's never had to defend us, but I'm sure she could.

We also have a police club here that could kill someone pretty easily and various knives strewn about.  I think we're pretty safe.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

I have a police trained dog which had to be removed from duty for seizures, I have several guns, I have fire and security alarms, and I have nosy neighbors. 

But, most of all, I have attack cat

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on April 27, 2008, 12:44:25 AM
I have a police trained dog which had to be removed from duty for seizures,

Did the dog get high on its own supply?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

Ha!  No, she just is not able to tolerate getting hot.  Once she gets to a certain point she goes into seizure.  Since she would have had to work in the summer, that was never going to work out
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

I'm glad she found a good home then.  By seizures, I thought you meant something like "search and seizures," not "that kid just got a seizure while watching an episode of Pokemon."  My bad.

the Teuton

And attack dog just let it be known that she is not happy at the moment.  I think my brother just got home.

Tave

Quote from: hounddog on April 27, 2008, 12:44:25 AM
But, most of all, I have attack cat

Put your attack cat and my AirSoft pistol together and we make an impenetrable fortress. :rockon: :tounge:

I've been, er, out on the town

ifcar

I generally protect myself against theft by not having anything worth stealing. It generally works, except for the time someone took the donut spare from my Escort years ago.

Quote from: ifcar on April 27, 2008, 06:11:58 AM
I generally protect myself against theft by not having anything worth stealing. It generally works, except for the time someone took the donut spare from my Escort years ago.

Weird, isn't that from the trunk?  I didn't know there was a market for spare tires.

ifcar

Quote from: 565 on April 27, 2008, 07:02:23 AM

Weird, isn't that from the trunk?  I didn't know there was a market for spare tires.

It was a wagon, so the back area was accessible.

All I've been able to think of is that they'd taken the trouble to "break" in (unlocked) and didn't want to leave without taking something.

Quote from: Lebowski on April 26, 2008, 10:22:59 PM
The truth is, I'm a 27 year old single guy with no real valuables and I live in a good neighborhood.  My TV and my furniture are the most valuable stuff in my house and they aren't easy to walk out with.  I imagine any thief who did their homework on me would conclude I'm not a very good break in candidate (i.e., most single guys don't have a valuable jewelry stash).  I also don't know of anyone who wants me dead.  So in short, I'm not too worried about a break in.  I do think I'll probably eventually get a gun though.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, single, no cash or valuables in my home.  But, actually I'd be a little worried cause you drive a C6 Vette.  The people that broke into the house in Connecticut found their target by watching the wife get into her nice Benz from the supermarket and followed her home.  That freaked me out because I live right next to that supermarket and take the Z06 there all the time.  The thugs must have driven past my house to get to her house from the supermarket.  I always feel that if the timing were different, there was a chance they might have followed a C5 Z06 home that night and I would be screwed.  But I don't want that fear to get in the way of driving my vette, or else I might as well sell it at that point.  So basically I was so paranoid for a couple of months that I'd loop around if anyone was following me before I pulled into my house.  It's a bit silly because it was such a freak incident, but having something happen so close really gets to you.

Raza

We have a security system at home, and I plan on getting a firearm (a few, actually) when I get my own place.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.