How do you protect your home? Security Systems, Dog, Firearm?

Started by 565, April 26, 2008, 06:08:52 PM

How do you protect your home?

Security System
4 (12.9%)
Dog
3 (9.7%)
Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Security System + Dog
1 (3.2%)
Security System + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Dog + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
All of the above.
3 (9.7%)
Other (please share)
3 (9.7%)
No protection measures
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

sandertheshark

Quote from: Lebowski on June 18, 2008, 02:52:33 PM

I agree the price of .357 ammo is a bit steep, hopefully that will come down or I can find a reasonable online source and buy it in bulk. 

For buying ammo online, go to http://www.midwayusa.com/ammunition

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on June 18, 2008, 02:39:04 PM
Aren't you in high school?
Apparently, looking at his Facebook profile, he's the same age as me. :confused:

I wonder how Sub's 22 then?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Submariner

Quote from: thecarnut on June 18, 2008, 03:46:50 PM
Apparently, looking at his Facebook profile, he's the same age as me. :confused:

I wonder how Sub's 22 then?

I rejoined the network when I left it accidentally.  I guess you are not allowed to join a previous class year. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Quote from: Lebowski on June 17, 2008, 06:32:27 PM

It's possible I'll do the concealed carry permit, even though I would never carry concealed (at least not on a remotely regular basis).  But it seems like, if Obama is gonna be president, if I think there's any chance I'd want a concealed carry permit I may as well get it now, cause it ain't gonna get any easier.

It's interesting today at work someone mentioned that Obama was going to make the country safer because he was going to bring back the assault weapons ban and make it permanent.

I usually don't get into these political debates because I don't know jack squat about politics nor do I care, but the assault weapons ban was something I knew to be completely bogus and based off appearances of the gun rather than any sort of actual function.

I couldn't resist and tried to talk some sense into him, but he didn't seem interested one bit in the actual facts.  I love this great situation in America that the ones clamoring for gun control believe that actually learning about the guns they want to control is such taboo.  God forbid you actually do some research on what you are making laws for before you make the laws so you don't end up with a useless piece of legistation like the first Assault Weapon ban.

I mean if you were making regulations on car safety, you'd want the person to have really good knowledge of cars.  If you were making regulations on foreign trade then you'd want to have someone that understood foreign trade tactics.  But it seems like the ultimate qualification for making any sort of regulation on guns is that you have to understand absolutely nothing about guns whatsoever, and feel that the taint of firearms knowledge would somehow dirty you.  What a retarded situation....

Submariner

Quote from: 565 on June 18, 2008, 10:35:16 PM
It's interesting today at work someone mentioned that Obama was going to make the country safer because he was going to bring back the assault weapons ban and make it permanent.

I usually don't get into these political debates because I don't know jack squat about politics nor do I care, but the assault weapons ban was something I knew to be completely bogus and based off appearances of the gun rather than any sort of actual function.

I couldn't resist and tried to talk some sense into him, but he didn't seem interested one bit in the actual facts.  I love this great situation in America that the ones clamoring for gun control believe that actually learning about the guns they want to control is such taboo.  God forbid you actually do some research on what you are making laws for before you make the laws so you don't end up with a useless piece of legistation like the first Assault Weapon ban.

I mean if you were making regulations on car safety, you'd want the person to have really good knowledge of cars.  If you were making regulations on foreign trade then you'd want to have someone that understood foreign trade tactics.  But it seems like the ultimate qualification for making any sort of regulation on guns is that you have to understand absolutely nothing about guns whatsoever, and feel that the taint of firearms knowledge would somehow dirty you.  What a retarded situation....

Ask yourself the question...are you suprised?

I remember a local news report years ago on the assault weapons ban.    People were shown a full auto glock with a drum mag, and a civilian M-16.  Something like 4/5 STILL thought that the glock was the better choice, and that thugs on the street would much rather tote around full size rifles... :rolleyes:

NomisR

Quote from: Submariner on June 18, 2008, 11:26:04 PM
Ask yourself the question...are you suprised?

I remember a local news report years ago on the assault weapons ban.    People were shown a full auto glock with a drum mag, and a civilian M-16.  Something like 4/5 STILL thought that the glock was the better choice, and that thugs on the street would much rather tote around full size rifles... :rolleyes:

What's what I do in GTA, run around with an assult rifle to car jack people.  Isn't that what they all do?  More powa!!!

Submariner

Quote from: NomisR on June 19, 2008, 09:55:35 AM
What's what I do in GTA, run around with an assult rifle to car jack people.  Isn't that what they all do?  More powa!!!

Assault rifles are for pussies.  RPG FTW.

sandertheshark

Quote from: NomisR on June 19, 2008, 09:55:35 AM

I use the silenced 9mm and shoot them in the head through their rear windows.  Either that or jump on the car, pound on the roof until they get out to yell at me, and then I slice their heads of with a katana.  :mask:

sandertheshark

Quote from: Submariner on June 19, 2008, 09:56:55 AM
Assault rifles are for pussies.  RPG FTW.

RPGs are for low-budget terrorists and third-rate militias.  Laser-guided missile FTW.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 19, 2008, 07:35:39 PM
RPGs are for low-budget terrorists and third-rate militias.  Laser-guided missile FTW.

Somalian pirates love them too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 19, 2008, 07:35:39 PM

How do you guys hide your RPG or Laser guided missles in your coats?  I'm having trouble with mine.  I tried and I get this HUGE bulge out of the side.  Any good holsters for them?

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on June 20, 2008, 09:39:41 AM
How do you guys hide your RPG or Laser guided missles in your coats?  I'm having trouble with mine.  I tried and I get this HUGE bulge out of the side.  Any good holsters for them?

"Is that an RPG or are you just happy to see me?"     :lol:

Submariner

Quote from: Byteme on June 20, 2008, 10:24:20 AM
"Is that an RPG or are you just happy to see me?"     :lol:

RPG...don't you mean derringer?

Lebowski

Quote from: sandertheshark on June 18, 2008, 03:33:47 PM
For buying ammo online, go to http://www.midwayusa.com/ammunition

Thanks for posting that link, Sander.

Not a whole lot cheaper than my local gun store, but a much better selection (and to make the shipping worthwile I just bought 8 boxes of various brands  :rockon:, figure I might as well try out a bunch).  Looks like the .357 sig is about $20-$30 for a box of 50, a bit more than I expected but not unbearable.  I'm a bit surprised that buying the cases of 500 rounds doesn't seem to yield significant cost savings - defeats the purpose, IMHO.

I also signed up for the concealed carry class, taking it in about 2 weeks.  It's ridiculously easy to get a concealed carry permit in FL - take a 4 hour course and pay $60, that's it.  I don't plan on carrying concealed, the main reason I'm taking the class is because I want to learn the gun laws etc.