How do you protect your home? Security Systems, Dog, Firearm?

Started by 565, April 26, 2008, 06:08:52 PM

How do you protect your home?

Security System
4 (12.9%)
Dog
3 (9.7%)
Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Security System + Dog
1 (3.2%)
Security System + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Dog + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
All of the above.
3 (9.7%)
Other (please share)
3 (9.7%)
No protection measures
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Lebowski

Quote from: 565 on April 27, 2008, 07:10:11 AM
I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, single, no cash or valuables in my home.  But, actually I'd be a little worried cause you drive a C6 Vette.  The people that broke into the house in Connecticut found their target by watching the wife get into her nice Benz from the supermarket and followed her home.  That freaked me out because I live right next to that supermarket and take the Z06 there all the time.  The thugs must have driven past my house to get to her house from the supermarket.  I always feel that if the timing were different, there was a chance they might have followed a C5 Z06 home that night and I would be screwed.  But I don't want that fear to get in the way of driving my vette, or else I might as well sell it at that point.  So basically I was so paranoid for a couple of months that I'd loop around if anyone was following me before I pulled into my house.  It's a bit silly because it was such a freak incident, but having something happen so close really gets to you.

True, even though I don't really have any valuables I guess someone would never know that without breaking in.  Still though, if I'm a thief, a single guy with a german shepherd at home probably isn't the easiest target (like I said, most dogs won't actually bite but as a thief I'd probably wouldn't want to risk it!).

I think the woman made a much better target than you would have made simply because she was a woman.  Women are more likely to have easy to steal valuables like jewelry, they're less likely to beat the crap out of you or shoot you when you break in, and (this may sound sexist but it's true IMO) they're more likely to do stupid shit like forget to lock the door and not leave exterior lights on. 

Submariner

I keep a USP compact .40 S&W by the bed.  I have a DE locked away in a closet, though if I truly want to put the fear of god in the invader I can pull it out and let loose a few rounds.

In addition, I have a very good security system, keep the yard well lit at night (the woods behind are lit with 4 100watt flood lamps) 

At some point I would like to unload the M4 and buy an HK 417, though, something tells me they aren't exactly easy to get purchase. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: 565 on April 27, 2008, 07:10:11 AM
I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, single, no cash or valuables in my home.  But, actually I'd be a little worried cause you drive a C6 Vette.  The people that broke into the house in Connecticut found their target by watching the wife get into her nice Benz from the supermarket and followed her home.  That freaked me out because I live right next to that supermarket and take the Z06 there all the time.  The thugs must have driven past my house to get to her house from the supermarket.  I always feel that if the timing were different, there was a chance they might have followed a C5 Z06 home that night and I would be screwed.  But I don't want that fear to get in the way of driving my vette, or else I might as well sell it at that point.  So basically I was so paranoid for a couple of months that I'd loop around if anyone was following me before I pulled into my house.  It's a bit silly because it was such a freak incident, but having something happen so close really gets to you.

Thats a reasonable fear.  My girlfriend sometimes takes my car to the school she teaches at (until she finds a new position).  It's not in a good location at all, but all the schools in the upper class towns near us aren't exactly looking for a young art teacher.  I've been trying for her to get a carry permit and let her use my USP, but shes not hugely keen on the idea of carrying a gun.  She is however much more careful about when she goes home, and keeps on the lookout for anyone suspicious looking.   

S204STi

My security system is called the Remingon 870 Express.

But I also realize that the chances of making it work depend entirely on my ability to quickly load it and have it at the ready.  For that I rely on my dog, who is surprisingly vocal when she hears any strange noises at all outside.  I would however like a more vigilant dog with better hearing, such as a hound or bird dog.

J86

ha you guys would roll your eyes at my lack of security

The Pirate

Quote from: J86 on April 27, 2008, 03:11:19 PM
ha you guys would roll your eyes at my lack of security

I think you and I are in the same boat.  Though, I do lock my door and take my key out of the car now that I don't live in farm country.  Like others, I'm a single guy, and I don't own a whole hell of a lot.  My TV is a basic 19" model, if somebody really wants it, they can have it.

I do practice common sense, I don't leave stuff where it's visible or anything.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

omicron

Rupert

I know some people who don't lock their doors, even when they go away over night. They've never had anything stolen.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on April 27, 2008, 11:02:10 AM
True, even though I don't really have any valuables I guess someone would never know that without breaking in.  Still though, if I'm a thief, a single guy with a german shepherd at home probably isn't the easiest target (like I said, most dogs won't actually bite but as a thief I'd probably wouldn't want to risk it!).

I think the woman made a much better target than you would have made simply because she was a woman.  Women are more likely to have easy to steal valuables like jewelry, they're less likely to beat the crap out of you or shoot you when you break in, and (this may sound sexist but it's true IMO) they're more likely to do stupid shit like forget to lock the door and not leave exterior lights on. 

It sounds sexist because it is sexist, and it's not true. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: Psilos on April 27, 2008, 08:50:43 PM

Are you serious? Almost all the women I know are more careless about such small things than men. I know you're all for equal rights and whatnot, but there are some things you cannot deny, just in the name of "equality".

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 27, 2008, 08:55:57 PM
Are you serious? Almost all the women I know are more careless about such small things than men. I know you're all for equal rights and whatnot, but there are some things you cannot deny, just in the name of "equality".

So...can I say it?  Can I? Please please please please can I?

Women are bad drivers...

CALL_911

Quote from: Submariner on April 27, 2008, 10:10:04 PM
So...can I say it?  Can I? Please please please please can I?

Women are bad drivers...

Agreed.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

S204STi

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 27, 2008, 08:55:57 PM

My experience with women is exactly the opposite.  They are nearly all hyper-aware of their security.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on April 27, 2008, 10:13:14 PM
My experience with women is exactly the opposite.  They are nearly all hyper-aware of their security.
My wife leaves her keys in the front door all the time.  I make a point of checking the door before I go to bed.

93JC

Ha ha, I do that sometimes. I have a screen door too though, so I usually know something's awry when the door won't close.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on April 27, 2008, 10:13:14 PM

Tell me about it!

My wife once tased me when I came in the back door instead of the garage door like I usually do.

This is why she doesn't get to use the gun...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2008, 10:48:19 PM
Tell me about it!

My wife once tased me when I came in the back door instead of the garage door like I usually do.

This is why she doesn't get to use the gun...

Wait, are you serious?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CALL_911

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2008, 10:52:58 PM
Yes.

I'm sorry, but that's the most hilarious thing I've read in the last 3 days. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 27, 2008, 10:54:31 PM

I'm sorry, but that's the most hilarious thing I've read in the last 3 days. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's OK, its been a running laugh for about three years now.

Lebowski

Quote from: Psilos on April 27, 2008, 08:50:43 PM

Based on a number of women I know who live alone, it is true.

ifcar

Quote from: Psilos on April 27, 2008, 08:50:01 PM
I know some people who don't lock their doors, even when they go away over night. They've never had anything stolen.

I know smokers who aren't dead yet.

J86

Quote from: The Pirate on April 27, 2008, 03:22:59 PM
I think you and I are in the same boat.  Though, I do lock my door and take my key out of the car now that I don't live in farm country.  Like others, I'm a single guy, and I don't own a whole hell of a lot.  My TV is a basic 19" model, if somebody really wants it, they can have it.

I do practice common sense, I don't leave stuff where it's visible or anything.

I sometimes dont take the key out of my car when at home- that way i dont lose it :lol:

i unfortunately dont have the same level of trust for the denizens of the fair city where i go to school...

MaxPower

Quote from: J86 on April 28, 2008, 10:47:11 AM
I sometimes dont take the key out of my car when at home- that way i dont lose it :lol:

Yeah, I'm the same way.  Hell, I leave my keys, wallet, and cell phone in my car all summer long.  When I was a kid my parents used to leave the house unlocked when we went on vacation--I remember once they tried to lock it but couldn't find the door keys!

Just another reason why I live where I do and not in some suburban hellhole.

Raza

Quote from: MaxPower on April 28, 2008, 05:37:43 PM
Yeah, I'm the same way.  Hell, I leave my keys, wallet, and cell phone in my car all summer long.  When I was a kid my parents used to leave the house unlocked when we went on vacation--I remember once they tried to lock it but couldn't find the door keys!

Just another reason why I live where I do and not in some suburban hellhole.

I could never live like that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14382.msg812590#msg812590 date=1209425901
I could never live like that. 
When I was a kid, we would only lock the door of the house when we left town.  When we went shopping, we would park the car, get out, and walk away leaving the windows down and the doors unlocked.  I know people who would leave their keys in the ignition too.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 28, 2008, 05:45:37 PM
When I was a kid, we would only lock the door of the house when we left town.  When we went shopping, we would park the car, get out, and walk away leaving the windows down and the doors unlocked.  I know people who would leave their keys in the ignition too.

When I was a kid, we would lock our doors and activate the alarm system whenever we left the house.  We still do that. 

When I got my first apartment, I had them install a deadbolt, and then at night I would put on one of those things you wedge under the door knob. 

People who leave shit unlocked are asking for it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14382.msg812608#msg812608 date=1209426861
When I was a kid, we would lock our doors and activate the alarm system whenever we left the house.  We still do that. 

When I got my first apartment, I had them install a deadbolt, and then at night I would put on one of those things you wedge under the door knob. 

That's the wrong attitude.  It's my property, people shouldn't be on it or trying to steal it.  That's the attitude people should have, but unfortunately that's not the way it is these days, which is why my parents don't do what they used to do anymore.  Break-ins now happen.  Cars get stolen.  It never used to happen in my hometown.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2008, 05:54:21 PM

I could never live like that..