How do you protect your home? Security Systems, Dog, Firearm?

Started by 565, April 26, 2008, 06:08:52 PM

How do you protect your home?

Security System
4 (12.9%)
Dog
3 (9.7%)
Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Security System + Dog
1 (3.2%)
Security System + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
Dog + Firearm
3 (9.7%)
All of the above.
3 (9.7%)
Other (please share)
3 (9.7%)
No protection measures
8 (25.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 28, 2008, 05:58:29 PM
That's the wrong attitude.  It's my property, people shouldn't be on it or trying to steal it.  That's the attitude people should have, but unfortunately that's not the way it is these days, which is why my parents don't do what they used to do anymore.  Break-ins now happen.  Cars get stolen.  It never used to happen in my hometown.

My attitude is that my property is my property, and I'd like to keep it that way.  People are lowlifes and criminals.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on April 28, 2008, 06:54:09 PM
I could never live like that..

Wow, I didn't know there were so many rubes still about.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 27, 2008, 08:55:57 PM
Are you serious? Almost all the women I know are more careless about such small things than men. I know you're all for equal rights and whatnot, but there are some things you cannot deny, just in the name of "equality".

Quote from: R-inge on April 27, 2008, 10:13:14 PM
My experience with women is exactly the opposite.  They are nearly all hyper-aware of their security.

Quote from: HEMI666 on April 27, 2008, 10:23:20 PM
My wife leaves her keys in the front door all the time.  I make a point of checking the door before I go to bed.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2008, 10:48:19 PM
Tell me about it!

My wife once tased me when I came in the back door instead of the garage door like I usually do.

This is why she doesn't get to use the gun...

Quote from: Lebowski on April 28, 2008, 05:39:51 AM
Based on a number of women I know who live alone, it is true.

Based on these replies, there's not really much of a basis in reality for either the "women do dumb things like leaving their keys in the door all the time" attitude or the "women are so paranoid about their safety, they tase their husbands" attitude (though, that's hilarious, Soup). As such, ro, yes, I am serious. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on April 28, 2008, 06:54:09 PM
I could never live like that..

What, you could never live sleeping with the door locked? 

NomisR

Quote from: Lebowski on April 28, 2008, 06:59:48 PM
What, you could never live sleeping with the door locked? 

50 billion locks every day..

Lebowski

Quote from: NomisR on April 28, 2008, 07:01:31 PM
50 billion locks every day..

One deadbolt and some gay triangle thing he has that probably takes 2 seconds to put in place.  I admit the gay triangle thing is a bit lame.

I just make a habit of locking the deadbolt when I come in the door, and when I go out.  It takes about 2 seconds, and just becomes a natural habit, like putting on your seatbelt when you get in the car. 

Really, not locking doors is laziness incarnate.  If you're not going to do the absolute bare minimum to protect yourself, you pretty much deserve to get your shit jacked.

NomisR

Quote from: Lebowski on April 28, 2008, 07:05:18 PM
One deadbolt and some gay triangle thing he has that probably takes 2 seconds to put in place.  I admit the gay triangle thing is a bit lame.

I just make a habit of locking the deadbolt when I come in the door, and when I go out.  It takes about 2 seconds, and just becomes a natural habit, like putting on your seatbelt when you get in the car. 

Really, not locking doors is laziness incarnate.  If you're not going to do the absolute bare minimum to protect yourself, you pretty much deserve to get your shit jacked.

I lock my doors, but not the way he or his family does it.  Door, lock, alarm, triangle thing, and whatever else.  Just lock and one dead bolt is more than enough.  If people are intent on breaking in, they'll do it regardless, wether through the windows or other method anyways.

MaxPower

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2008, 06:57:44 PM
Wow, I didn't know there were so many rubes still about.

And I didn't realize how many paranoid people living in fear are about!  :mask: 

A deadbolt seems reasonable to me.  But a security system seems like an annoying PITA that probably costs more than its worth and sets off more false alarms than necessary, and the idea of actually shooting someone for entering your house is completely foreign to me.  Regardless of the constitutional protections behind owning a handgun and protecting your property, it seems to me that shooting an invader would open up a whole can of worms you don't want to deal with.

J86

Quote from: MaxPower on April 28, 2008, 05:37:43 PM
Yeah, I'm the same way.  Hell, I leave my keys, wallet, and cell phone in my car all summer long.  When I was a kid my parents used to leave the house unlocked when we went on vacation--I remember once they tried to lock it but couldn't find the door keys!

Just another reason why I live where I do and not in some suburban hellhole.

Haha we're like that...when we used to go sailing on the weekends, we'd come back and realize someone forgot to shut the door, meaning leaves in the kitchen! :lol:

Raza

Quote from: MaxPower on April 28, 2008, 07:46:37 PM
And I didn't realize how many paranoid people living in fear are about!  :mask: 

A deadbolt seems reasonable to me.  But a security system seems like an annoying PITA that probably costs more than its worth and sets off more false alarms than necessary, and the idea of actually shooting someone for entering your house is completely foreign to me.  Regardless of the constitutional protections behind owning a handgun and protecting your property, it seems to me that shooting an invader would open up a whole can of worms you don't want to deal with.

Well, our house's first floor is like 40% glass, so a security system was necessary.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on April 28, 2008, 08:48:51 PM
Well, our house's first floor is like 40% glass, so a security system was necessary.

What about that triangle wedge thing under the door?

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

The wedge thing was for my flat in Altoona; not a nice area.  My door had access to the outside, or I wouldn't have cared.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on April 29, 2008, 11:43:19 AM
The wedge thing was for my flat in Altoona; not a nice area.  My door had access to the outside, or I wouldn't have cared.

Raza you should put some brackets on your wall and get a Medievel dungeon style wooden plank to put across the brackets against the door.

JYODER240

Just a security system. Just locking your doors doesn't do much. If someone wants to break in a locked door isn't going to stop them.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=14382.msg812590#msg812590 date=1209425901
I could never live like that. 

:confused:

Personally, I enjoyed growing up somewhere with almost no violent crime. It's a stress-free way to live. :ohyeah:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on April 29, 2008, 12:00:18 PM
Raza you should put some brackets on your wall and get a Medievel dungeon style wooden plank to put across the brackets against the door.

I don't live there anymore...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2008, 10:48:19 PM
Tell me about it!

My wife once tased me when I came in the back door instead of the garage door like I usually do.

This is why she doesn't get to use the gun...

Holy shit.

That's why I got on a "Some people shouldn't carry guns" soapbox a couple months ago.

Lebowski

Onslaught

I've got lots of guns. But if I'm not around then it's just something for them to steal.
I have two dogs. But they are small and worthless. So unless they hear them and think
they are big dogs then they could just step on them.
My 9 acres is fenced in with a gate. But they could get over that. However, if one of
my relatives who lives down the road and are home all day saw this then they would
be screwed.

Onslaught

It's sad but I can remember a time when we didn't even lock the door at night or when we left the house. You could keep the keys in the car at night too.
When I got home from school as a little kid the house would be open and I never even had a key. Those days in this area are long gone.

Morris Minor

Short-barrel Mossberg pump-action and a monitored alarm system.

Our dog would run & hide.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

akuma_supreme

I have roller-shields across every window and doorway on my house thanks to the previous owner.  That combined with a mildly psychotic Chow-Chow are all the theft deterrent I need.

saxonyron

I've got a doberman who has a bark that'll make your blood run cold. She's great with the kids, but I really think she would hurt a predator.  Unless he was carrying Pup-a-ronies.  Then she'd be his best pal.  That's why we also have a few guns.  And my wife is a better shot than I am.  Amongst my arsenal, I have 2 pistols with loaded clips stored separate but nearby.  It would take about 3 seconds for me or my wife to grab the gun, grab the clip, slap it in, and chamber a round.  That would be our final option obviously.  It's my hope that any scumbag would here or see the dobie and decide to invade someone else's house.  In essence, that is what any security system is all about - to convince the perp that you are too much trouble and to move on to an easier mark.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

JWC

There was a local TV station that interviewed convicted burglars at a nearby prison about home security.

The number one deterrent for them to pass on a house to rob was a...dog.  If they heard a dog in the home, they would pass on it.

Guns didn't matter.  They always waited for no one to be home.

Alarms.  They considered those trickier, but if the homeowner was nice enough to advertise what alarm system protected their house, by leaving the sign on the front lawn, they could get around the system.

Other hints...whenever you bought a new appliance..like a TV or a computer, break the box down before leaving it for the trash man.  Otherwise, it advertises to them what great stuff you have.

dazzleman

I have an alarm system.  I've learned that they're not a big deterrent to professional burglars, though they may deter less serious burglars.  Professionals know how much time they have to get out before the police come, and they know where to look for valuables quickly.

I'm thinking about getting more secure doors and stronger locks in a few places.  My house is actually a security nightmare because there are woods on one side, which nobody can see through, and I have a lot of ground level doors and windows that can easily be broken for entry.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Quote from: saxonyron on May 21, 2008, 10:37:02 PM

I've got a doberman who has a bark that'll make your blood run cold. She's great with the kids, but I really think she would hurt a predator. 

That's how my dog is, when she is really in her defensive mode she'll scare the shit out of you (deep bark, hair on her back up etc.), but most of the time she's so friendly, that who knows how she'd really greet an intruder.  I'd like to think she'd attack someone if they broke in while I'm home, but who knows.

But as said before, the real value of a large dog is the deterrent.  If I'm thinking of breaking into your house, and you have a doberman or GSD, even if I know that say 6 or 7 out of 10 won't bite (and I doubt most people do know that), the other 3 or 4 that will bite, especially if trained in schutzhund or personal protection work, will utterly destroy me (unless I plan on actually shooting the dog, which I doubt most burglars do).  A fight between a large dog that's willing to bite and possibly trained to fight and a human is more mismatched than most people realize.  So why risk it?

Lebowski

Well last week I noticed an ad in the paper, the large local gun dealer/shooting range in my area was running a Father's Day sale.  I'm not a father (don't tell them that!), but I took advantage of the sale and purchased a Glock 31 (.357 sig) for $489, which is a pretty darn good price.  I had been thinking about getting one for years now, and always put it off for various reasons (the usual qualms about having a gun in my house, it's not a decision I take lightly).  Should be in by this weekend (they were out of stock in that model ... plus there's a 3 day wait/background check to buy a handgun anyway).

I also ordered a small quick access pistol safe for it, that I will keep between my bed and my nightstand.  Hopefully the glock will never come out aside from an occasional trip to the range, but the way I look at it the 1 in 1,000 chance I ever do need it I'll be glad it's there.  I don't have kids or anything, if so that would have made the decision to buy a gun more difficult for me.

http://www.glock.com/english/glock31.htm

http://www.deansafe.com/gun-gv-2000d.html

Raza

Why do you need the safe and stuff?  You don't have kids.  The dog is unlikely to evolve thumbs. 

If anything, I'd get another heater to keep in the fridge.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Quote from: Raza  on June 17, 2008, 05:39:09 PM
Why do you need the safe and stuff?  You don't have kids.  The dog is unlikely to evolve thumbs. 

If anything, I'd get another heater to keep in the fridge.

Ha, I'll consider the 2nd one for the fridge.

Mainly, I have people over a lot, and when I have people over it generally involves significant amounts of drinking.  I don't want one of my drunk friends to wander around and stumble upon a loaded gun.