E39 vs. E60: Let the Bimmer games begin

Started by the Teuton, May 05, 2008, 10:37:13 PM

the Teuton

So I can now say that I've had extensive time behind the wheel of both the E39 and E60 5 Series cars, and I think I can finally shed some light onto which is better and why.

First up:  E39 540iA

A stunningly simplistic take on the luxury sedan, the car is, in a word, magnificent.  It's comfortable, well-balanced, quiet yet throaty enough to make you feel like you're driving something with some performance potential, and it's elegant.  It's not elegant in a Waterford crystal chandelier kind of way, but in something more indescribably Teutonic.  The doors thud with a heavy sound, the controls feel secure, balanced, predictable.  The car isolates you from the dreary outside world, but when you decide to punch the throttle, the engine comes to life, sounding like a machine gun, if a V8 ever could. 

The back seat is terrible in a Oldsmobile Cutlass kind of way, but that's not the point.  The car didn't have navigation, iDrive, active steering, or even a semi-automatic transmission, but it still behaved like a nimble car, like a 3 Series all grown up.  Which brings me to...

...the E60.

The most immediate car I could've compared my black E39 example to probably was a Monaco Blue 550i 6-speed sedan, but honestly, I was scared to mess around with a $70,000 sedan on my second day of the job, so I opted to go for the next best option:  the 535xi.  What it has going for it is a very similar as-tested price as the 540i had when it was new and a whole host of new power features and improvements that just felt right:  a tilt and telescoping steering wheel that moved fluidly instead of a like a 1980s machine, deep buckets that enveloped the driver in soft leather instead of harder, smaller seats, electronic gizmos up the wazoo. 

But I felt like something was lacking.  With the exception of that engine (and what an engine it is!), the car felt much bigger, much softer around the edges.  It had a thicker, smaller diameter ///M steering wheel than the E39, giving it a hint of sporting pretentions, but a steering wheel does not a car make.  It felt more...Japanese...in both refinement and manners, refined but subdued, uncompromising yet without much of the character that made the E39 so cool.

Sure, the E60 is a better car, if the score were to be tallied up fairly, but the E39 just gives you more emotion, more feedback.  The E60 feels much bigger and more like a Buick at city speeds.  It coddles the driver while the E39 pushes the driver.

The iDrive cleans up all of the maze of buttons on the dash, but it also confused the heck out of me.  How am I going to explain it to my bosses that a car with 100 miles on it already has radio presets for all of the rock stations?  Why should I have to go through a computer to find out my gas mileage?  Why is it that the only thing BMW kept analog was the Guilt Gauge for checking my MPG? 

If I'm going to be driving a German car, someone, please, give me the car that at least sounds like a German car when I close the door; with a big, heavy THUD.

Which would you pick?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

I would take the E39. I love the E60, and I think it's a fantastic car, IMO, best in class, but the E39 is the epitome of 5er. Oh, and there are the Check and BC puttons on the signal stalk which you can push to see fuel economy. ;)

As for iDrive, the voice commands work well. Also, this is being reported from my Dad, but at high speeds, the car is really encouraging, it wants you to push its limits.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

I'll have more of these later this week.  I've got to get to bed, but I got to drive an E30 cabrio, an E46 330i, and a whole bunch of E90/92/93s.  I have driven almost all of the different series with the exception of the 1, 6, Zs, and 8 at this point.  I shall write more as I drive more, as long as I can.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 05, 2008, 10:47:52 PM
I'll have more of these later this week.  I've got to get to bed, but I got to drive an E30 cabrio, an E46 330i, and a whole bunch of E90/92/93s.  I have driven almost all of the different series with the exception of the 1, 6, Zs, and 8 at this point.  I shall write more as I drive more, as long as I can.

Wait, how exactly do you drive these cars? Don't you just park them and stuff?  :huh:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 05, 2008, 10:49:20 PM
Wait, how exactly do you drive these cars? Don't you just park them and stuff?  :huh:

I have to get gas, drive them about a mile to our garages and a mile back, get car washes, stuff like that.  I had probably about 7-10 miles behind the wheel of the 540i and about 30-50 behind the wheel of various E60s at this point.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 05, 2008, 10:51:31 PM
I have to get gas, drive them about a mile to our garages and a mile back, get car washes, stuff like that.  I had probably about 7-10 miles behind the wheel of the 540i and about 30-50 behind the wheel of various E60s at this point.

So you flog the shit out of customers' cars for that stuff?  :nono:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 05, 2008, 10:52:57 PM
So you flog the shit out of customers' cars for that stuff?  :nono:

Long story short on the E39:  I had to rush it to get gas and a bath because it was never done earlier and the owner was waiting for it for over 30 minutes.  I had to.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 05, 2008, 10:54:31 PM
Long story short on the E39:  I had to rush it to get gas and a bath because it was never done earlier and the owner was waiting for it for over 30 minutes.  I had to.

Ok then. :huh:

Hey, at least you're enjoying yourself. :lol:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 05, 2008, 10:55:54 PM
Ok then. :huh:

Hey, at least you're enjoying yourself. :lol:

You have no idea what people do with your dad's 535ix when you're not in possession of it.  Good night.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 05, 2008, 10:58:52 PM
You have no idea what people do with your dad's 535ix when you're not in possession of it.  Good night.

Lets see.
Well, we given it into the shop once. For the tie rod replacement, and I doubt the porters could have done much to it with that whole thing, and when we picked it up, it was just getting done. The rest of the time, we park it right outside the car wash, they wash it, and it's back in 10 minutes. They couldn't have driven too far in that much time. That, and Dad doesn't valet any of the cars. But I know what you're saying.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

sportyaccordy

I am gonna get torched for this, but while I find the 5's to be better dynamically as you go further back in the generations (I think they peaked w/the E28 M5) there are what are essentially equally loaded 528i/530i sports on my block, and just off looks alone I would go with the E60, if I could do away with IDrive.

The 5 has been too big for me since the E39 came out but of the two that is what I would go with. A 535i 6spd.

sandertheshark

Quote from: the Teuton on May 05, 2008, 10:37:13 PM
Which would you pick?

The E60 is hideous.  I'd never have one.

I like E39s, but I actually like the E34 the best.

the Teuton

We just got an E28 M5 in today.  I am going to try to drive it tomorrow before the owner picks it up.

Submariner

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 06, 2008, 06:09:05 PM

Oddly enough.  I'm not a fan of the E60, but I love it with the M-bodykit.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

hounddog

Quote from: sandertheshark on May 06, 2008, 06:09:05 PM

You have obviously never driven one.  While I do not own one, I have driven both the 08 550 and Randys 545.  The suspension is amazing, it is able to give you a soft and compliant ride, and then turn around and give you near sports car handling. 

The v8s are simply fantastic.  They are shockingly quiet under normal driving to the point you completely forget you are driving a v8, and probably twice as quiet as the I6 3.0.  Yet, when you give her the green light, they give you everything you want or could ask for. 

The iDrive is very simple to use.  I am nearly computer illiterate and I had zero trouble with it.  I was even able to figure out how to split the screen and have the nav AND the rest of the system up at the same time on the 550.  Randys 545 does not have that feature, but I easily made it work for me. 

The 550 and 545 are simply brilliant to drive.   
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 06:37:10 PM
You have obviously never driven one.  While I do not own one, I have driven both the 08 550 and Randys 545.  The suspension is amazing, it is able to give you a soft and compliant ride, and then turn around and give you near sports car handling. 

The v8s are simply fantastic.  They are shockingly quiet under normal driving to the point you completely forget you are driving a v8, and probably twice as quiet as the I6 3.0.  Yet, when you give her the green light, they give you everything you want or could ask for. 

The iDrive is very simple to use.  I am nearly computer illiterate and I had zero trouble with it.  I was even able to figure out how to split the screen and have the nav AND the rest of the system up at the same time. 

I...disagree...to an extent.  Drive an E39 540i.  It just makes you smile more than an E60 will.

hounddog

I did test drive a 01 530 (I think) with the performance package on it with Randy in the car.  To me it just beat the crap out of the car, and the car felt "old" in how it handled and drove, and even old fashioned in how it worked interior wise.

The newer one is leagues ahead of the older one in modern ability.  It just blends the ride and handling to a nearly perfect mix.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 06:41:28 PM
I did test drive a 01 530 (I think) with the performance package on it with Randy in the car.  To me it just beat the crap out of the car, and the car felt "old" in how it handled and drove, and even old fashioned in how it worked interior wise.

The newer one is leagues ahead of the older one in modern ability.  It just blends the ride and handling to a nearly perfect mix.

I think the ride is almost too compliant in the E60.  It's quiet, subdued, and the steering is much lighter than the E39.  I do agree with you that the E39 feels dated compared to the E60, though.

hounddog

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2008, 06:39:14 PM
I...disagree...to an extent.  Drive an E39 540i.  It just makes you smile more than an E60 will.
I have no idea how that could happen.  It is one full second slower to 60, handles with less ability, and has a much harsher ride. 

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 06:43:19 PM
I have no idea how that could happen.  It is one full second slower to 60, handles with less ability, and has a much harsher ride. 

The E60 rides like a freakin' Buick.  I need some feedback in the car I drive.

hounddog

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2008, 06:43:14 PM
I think the ride is almost too compliant in the E60.  It's quiet, subdued, and the steering is much lighter than the E39.  I do agree with you that the E39 feels dated compared to the E60, though.
A car need not have a rock crushing ride to handle well.  When you push the car hard it transforms from a soft daily driver to a very good handling car which every other manufacturer is trying to duplicate.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2008, 06:44:15 PM
The E60 rides like a freakin' Buick.  I need some feedback in the car I drive.
Maybe you should drive a Buick then.  They feel nothing alike.  A pox on you for those foul words!

Feedback!  Man, I never tire of hearing that stupid saying. 
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 06:45:28 PM
A car need not have a rock crushing ride to handle well.  When you push the car hard it transforms from a soft daily driver to a very good handling car which every other manufacturer is trying to duplicate.

It feels like a big car most of the time, not quite 7er big, but it doesn't feel anything like a 3er -- the best BMW on sale right now.

The steering is light to the point of almost being numb.

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 06:46:20 PM
Maybe you should drive a Buick then.  They feel nothing alike.  A pox on you for those foul words!

Feedback!  Man, I never tire of hearing that stupid saying. 

I've driven a LaCrosse for about 1,100 miles and a 5er for close to 50.  They both have the same numb yet secure feeling at speeds under 40 mph.  At speeds over that, well, the 5er is hands down a much better car.

hounddog

Perhaps on the city street where you are driving in a straight line, and no hard cornering is required the two might feel similar.  But, we drove a Lucerne with both the 8 and 6 when we were thinking about buying one.  They do not feel the same, similar in a straight line at 35?  Yes.  Hardly the same.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

sandertheshark

Quote from: hounddog on May 06, 2008, 06:37:10 PM

The iDrive is very simple to use.  I am nearly computer illiterate and I had zero trouble with it.  I was even able to figure out how to split the screen and have the nav AND the rest of the system up at the same time on the 550.  Randys 545 does not have that feature, but I easily made it work for me. 

I have driven an E60 and agree with all the above except the iDriveuCrazy.

It's still hideous.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2008, 06:53:07 PM
It feels like a big car most of the time, not quite 7er big, but it doesn't feel anything like a 3er -- the best BMW on sale right now.

The steering is light to the point of almost being numb.

WTF? The steering may be lighter than that of the older BMW's, but it definitely cannot be called light, and certainly not numb.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hounddog

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 06, 2008, 07:39:43 PM
WTF? The steering may be lighter than that of the older BMW's, but it definitely cannot be called light, and certainly not numb.

Well, not to pick on him, but you know a guys gotta feel feedback!   ;)
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

CJ

To be honest, the E34 is my favorite 5-series.

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 06, 2008, 07:39:43 PM

I'll reaffirm all of this tomorrow, but the steering is light and numb compared to the E39's.

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on May 06, 2008, 09:46:47 PM
I'll reaffirm all of this tomorrow, but the steering is light and numb compared to the E39's.

I have driven an E46, and it has similar steering to the E39, if not exactly the same. The E60's steering is lighter, but hardly any number.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi